Re: #Desktop file manager and screen blanking issues #desktop

Basil Gunn

Hi Bernard,

Second issue first: File Manager instantly closes when opened
The solution can be found here:
https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/92213/file-manager-instantly-closes-when-opened

The file manager used in Raspbian is called pcmanfm, you must re-install it.

sudo apt-get install --reinstall pcmanfm

First issue:
Disclaimer I do NOT use the raspbian GUI very much so this is my limited
observation.

One of my monitors, Sceptre model E16 (12v monitor), stopped working with
buster running on an RPi 4. I got it displaying again by
putting the following in the /boot/config.txt file.

[pi4]
# Enable DRM VC4 V3D driver on top of the dispmanx display stack
#dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d
max_framebuffers=2
hdmi_force_hotplug:0=1
#hdmi_safe=1
hdmi_group:0=1
hdmi_mode:0=4

What I would do is collect some data to see if you can understand the
problem better. Look at:
- monitor model
- video connector used, ie. HDMI,
- all the hdmi settings in /boot/config.txt,
- raspberry pi model,
- kernel version

This is what I am currently using for testing on my bench:

machine kern RPi video Monitor
plutest 4.19.75 Pi 4 Model B HDMI Sceptre 16"
nwdr15plu2 4.19.93 Pi 3 Model B HDMI Sunfounder 10" touch
ardop2 4.19.75 Pi 3 Model B+ HDMI Sunfounder 10"
mhams 4.14.98 Pi 3 Model B HDMI Sunfounder 10"

Also you will get more eyes looking at your problem if you post your
description on the RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio groups.io site.

/Basil n7nix

f6bvp <f6bvp@...> writes:

Hi,
With nwdr15.img and recently with nwdr14.img I observed same
desktop issues on two different Raspberry Pi models 3B+ and 4 and two
different screen displays models. *These issues are not present on
latest RaspBian distro september 2019 with same 4.19.93 kernel and all
applications updated.*

First issue is with screen blanking. I had to disable it in preference
menu for it was impossible to recover a display after it was
blanked. Sometime unplugging the UDMI plug could recover a normal
display but usually a reboot was needed.

Second issue is with File Manager desktop icon. When clicking on the
icon it opens a file window very briefly and close it right away. At
the same time all desktop icons disappear for a brief moment and
reappear on the desktop.

73 de Bernard, f6bvp