Re: XASTIR unable to start interface

Basil Gunn

Hi John,

Two solutions
First it is mentioned in the Xastir INSTALL file and in their FAQ
https://xastir.org/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions#I_run_Xastir_under_Linux.2C_and_try_to_set_up_an_ax25_device.2C_but_get_a_.22Hard_Fail.22_error_on_the_interface._There_is_a_.22permission_denied.22_error_in_the_terminal_from_which_I_started_Xastir.
that to use AX.25 the xastir run time file must be setuid.

sudo su
cd /usr/local/bin
chmod u+s xastir

After the xastir binary permissions should look like this:
ls -al
-rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 1178192 Jan 6 13:34 xastir

Also you could try using Xaster interface AGWPE localhost:8000.

I will add this to the Xastir install script.
/Basil n7nix

jgindc1@... writes:

Basil,

Now with XASTIR running I am attempting to set up the interface with DRAWS via Interface Control:

Interface type AX25 TNC, and AX.25 Device Name udr0.

Interface START has no effect, the interface remains DOWN. I have tried moving the radio (FT-817) mini-DIN connector to the DRAWS right mini-DIN and set the AX.25 Device Name to udr1. This interface also does not START.

I have checked that.
1. Direwolf and AX25 are running (ax25-status)
2. APRS packets are being received successfully (tail -f /var/log/direwolf/direwolf.log)
3. APRS position beacon sent ok (verified with aprsfi).

Again, I have had XASTIR operating successfully using the same XASTIR interface setup with earlier versions of the Compass image.

I wonder if there is some other parameter(s) that I have forgotten about.

Thankls,
John KM7LJ