Re: XASTIR unable to start interface

jgindc1@...

Basil,

I tried the first, setuid solution. Also worked like a charm.

As always, many thanks for your support.

John KM7LJ

On Fri, Feb 7, 2020 at 4:04 PM Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:

Hi John,

Two solutions
First it is mentioned in the Xastir INSTALL file and in their FAQ
https://xastir.org/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions#I_run_Xastir_under_Linux.2C_and_try_to_set_up_an_ax25_device.2C_but_get_a_.22Hard_Fail.22_error_on_the_interface._There_is_a_.22permission_denied.22_error_in_the_terminal_from_which_I_started_Xastir.
that to use AX.25 the xastir run time file must be setuid.

sudo su
cd /usr/local/bin
chmod u+s xastir

After the xastir binary permissions should look like this:
ls -al
-rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 1178192 JanĀ  6 13:34 xastir

Also you could try using Xaster interface AGWPE localhost:8000.

I will add this to the Xastir install script.
/Basil n7nix