Re: AX.25 Desktop Icons #a25

Basil Gunn

Four points follow.

First, I am not a gui-guy in the least, so feel free to disregard
anything I have to say about this. Hoop, K9QJS, made an attractive icon &
I took my lead from him. He is a MAC-man so in my domain he had cred.

Second, Thank you Jim VA7SHG. It took my brain a while to come to the same
conclusion you mention.

Third, All my stuff is open source. Just change a script to make it do
what ever you like. I just checked in some changes to
n7nix/systemd/bin/ax25-toggle.sh to make swapping the sense of the icon
easier.

# get updated ax25-toggle.sh script

cd
cd n7nix
git pull

# put script in directory where it gets used

cd config
./bin_refresh.sh

# edit script
cd
cd bin
# edit ax25-toggle.sh script
# Change these two lines at the beginning of the script

ICON_START_FILE="/home/pi/bin/ax25-start.desktop"
ICON_STOP_FILE="/home/pi/bin/ax25-stop.desktop"

ie. do this:

ICON_STOP_FILE="/home/pi/bin/ax25-start.desktop"
ICON_START_FILE="/home/pi/bin/ax25-stop.desktop"

Fourth, Why aren't you using split-channel so that one channel is used
by direwolf for packet & the other is used by some HF program. I will
be checking in a bunch of changes in the next few days to make
split-channel & port baud rate changing a lot easier.

Everyone please stay healthy.

/Basil

Jim Erickson <jim@...> writes:

My two cents on this. I would disagree. I feel that the icon should
represent what the icon is going to do. So if it has an X on it, that
means it’s going to to stop AX25. If it doesn’t have an X, then, the
it’s going to start AX.25.

I also have conky running, which is supposed to represent the current status of things. I don’t feel that an icon is supposed to represent a status. It’s supposed to represent an action.

Just my 2 cents.
------
73,
Jim
VA7SHG - Phone
VE7TGZ/VA7TGZ - Other

On Mar 12, 2020, at 19:25, Larry W7PAN <larryvc@...> wrote:

On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 03:02 PM, Basil Gunn wrote:
The icon represents the action that will occur if you click on it.
Hi Basil,

I seem to concur with J P Watters as it is a bit counter intuitive. For those that don't run headless, it seems it would be better in the GUI for the icon to indicate the current state of the AX25 services. I am also using the KM4ACK conky, having the AX25-control icon with an X through it while the conky indicates that the AX25 services are active is just plain confusing. No need to change the scripts, just swapping the start/swap icons does the trick.

Larry W7PAN