Re: ax25 transmitting but output is incorrect apparently so no connection

Basil Gunn

Mike, Replying to your last 2 posts Let's just focus on getting APRS
working first which may also fix your wl2kax25 problem as well. The
console output for wl2ktelnet you previously posted looks OK. Also looks
like you are receiving packets OK (from mheard).

Get used to starting up a packet spy in a console window.
sudo su
listen -a

Deviation:
Incorrect deviation is most likely the reason you could not connect to W0UO-10.

How did you determine these ALSA settings?
I think you were monitoring 'ALC'. If possible put PCM closer to zero
and change LO Driver to adjust for proper deviation.
- 'Lo Driver Gain' is the analog control and the preferred way to set level.
- 'PCM' is the digital control & will set how many bits the DAC will use.

LO Driver Gain  L:[-6.00dB]     R:[-6.00dB]
PCM             L:[-33.00dB]    R:[-25.00dB]

These above settings will vary depending on your radio settings.

To set deviation output a tone, see measure_deviate.sh utility.
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/tree/master/deviation
If you have a handy talky use it to listen to the tones transmitted by
the FT-857D

From FT-857D Operating Manual:
You can adjust DATA input level using Menu Item No-037 [DIG GAIN].

See manual starting on page 66 of FT-857D Operating Manual for setting
up digital transmitter operation. There are a LOT of settings on this
radio that affect digital modes. Try searching for "deviation".

GPS:
Try to put your GPS antenna close to a window especially if your shack
is in your basement or you have a metal roof. I put the magnetic antenna
on the roof of my truck cab when I'm mobile. The btest.sh script should
work without an operational GPS ie. should transmit packets

APRS.FI
I have only seen 1 packet at the aprs.fi site and that was from a couple
of days ago (which is encouraging). Could you please tune your radio to
the 2M APRS frequency, 144.390 and run the btest.sh script again 3 times
with no arguments ie. message beacon mode.

I know it's April Fool's Day but this post is sincere.
/Basil n7nix

Mike B <kf5dey@...> writes:

So doing some more testing...ran the mheard command and got a surprising result...

Now some of these are APRS packets I am sure...but the first one is the station I am trying to reach with the wl2kax25 command. So that tells me I am hearing it... I can't tell if it is replying to my queries...the time date stamp doesn't match...

---
pi@draws:/ $ mheard
Callsign Port Packets Last Heard
W0UO-10 udr0 27 2020-03-31 23:06:07