Basil,

Thank you.  It works as stated.

73s, Ed, KD9FRQ

On 6/1/2020 12:34 PM, Basil Gunn wrote:
Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ via groups.io <ewbloom=verizon.net@groups.io> writes:

Basil,

Thank you for the beacon script offer. I accept.

I would like to beacon "KD9FRQ on air and monitoring"
- cut & paste text between 'start script' & 'end script' markers into a text
file called beacbloom.sh in directory /home/pi/bin
- change current directory to /home/pi/bin and make file executable

cd
cd bin
chmod +x beacbloom.sh

- Open a console window and run listen -a
- from another console window execute beacbloom.sh and verify it does
what you want
- verify that AX25PORT variable is set properly in script

- create a crontab entry by opening crontab in edit mode & cut paste
example crontab entry found in script comment block into crontab.
- crontab entry to beacon every 20 minutes should look like this:
*/20 * * * * /home/pi/bin/beacbloom.sh > /dev/null 2>&1

- open crontab editor

crontab -e

- paste crontab entry & exit editor.

- verify crontab entry

crontab -l

- leave listen console window open to verify crontab is firing every 20
minutes.

- have fun

== start script

#!/bin/bash
#
# beacbloom.sh
#
# Minimal winlink beacon for Ed KD9FRQ
#
# crontab entry to beacon every 20 minutes
# */20 * * * * /home/pi/bin/beacbloom.sh > /dev/null 2>&1

CALLSIGN="KD9FRQ"
SID=0
BEACON="/usr/local/sbin/beacon"
AX25PORT=udr1

beacon_msg="$CALLSIGN on air and monitoring"

# -c Configure the source callsign for beacons. The default is to
# use the interface call-sign.
# -l Enables the logging of errors to the system log, the default is off.
# -d Configure the destination callsign for beacons. Default is 'IDENT'.
# -s Send the message text once only

$BEACON -c $CALLSIGN-$SID -d 'BEACON' -l -s $AX25PORT "${beacon_msg}"

== end script