Re: RMSGW and LINBPQ

J P Watters <kc9kko@...>

Charlie,

I am at the almost there point. Our statewide packet network is based on BPQ.
There are various documents on the "internet" that describe the installation of LINBPQ
using DIREWOLF with takes advantage of the Direwolf's builtin KISS TNC.

I have done the steps below that install the core components, and my next steps are to install LINBPQ (which I have yet to do)
I have tried alot of other things and my research has boiled down to the following.

The cool part is, download nwdr16.zip, write it to a card, and boot it up,
let the initial setup wizard that autoruns on first boot run.

Then run the core setup that Basil has developed.
It can be found at https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/8921#

Initial Config Detail

  • If you are running with an attached monitor you should see the Raspbian 'Welcome to Raspberry Pi' piwiz splash screen
    • Follow the screens as you would on any other Raspbian install.
    • When prompted to restart the RPi please do so.
Update configurations scripts
cd
cd n7nix
git pull

sudo su
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade
# revert back to normal user
exit
Configure core functionality
  • Whether you want direwolf for packet functionality or run HF apps with the draws HAT do the following:
cd
cd n7nix/config
# Become root
sudo su
./app_config.sh core
  • The above script sets up the following:

    • iptables
    • RPi login password
    • RPi host name
    • mail host name
    • time zone
    • current time via chrony
    • AX.25
    • direwolf
    • systemd
  • Now reboot your RPi

Then in a terminal session, "sudo systemctl enable direwolf"
That enables the system deamon to start direwolf on boot.
Then in a terminal session, "sudo systemctl start direwolf"
which will start direwolf for the first time.
That is all that is needed to get direwolf running.
if you run ax25-status, it will show the deamon's that are running.
the only thing at this point will be direwolf.

Then use the Guide  https://packet-radio.net/installing-direwolf-and-linbpq-on-raspian-stretch/
Start following the steps about 1/2 way down the page.

 the first steps should be:
1
2
3
4
5
sudo mkdir linbpq
cd linbpq
sudo wget http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Downloads/Beta/pilinbpq
sudo mv pilinbpq linbpq
sudo chmod +x linbpq

Continue following the guide to get LINBPQ running.

After getting LINBPQ is installed and running, you can
set it up to auto start as outlined below.

Use this to configure LINBPQ to run automagically.
https://packet-radio.net/direwolf-and-linpq-with-systemd/