Re: How susceptible is the DRAWS board to RFI? Metal Case required?

Kevin K. - N7KJK

I share this image of a custom case which includes dual fans.. I also wired two AAA batteries to the clock backup.

I used a gpio riser to make room between the PI and the DRAWS for heat syncs and a center fan.  Simply bought two PI stack style cases and modified one for the DRAWS connects.

I've been running it for a couple days now as APRS tracker with no temp issues.

Kevin/N7KJK

On Tue, Jul 28, 2020, 6:51 AM Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...> wrote:
Acrylic cases are suitable with a couple of caveats:

Be mindful of Temperature rise, probably not suitable for Pi4

One customer had RFI issues and fixed them with a grounded metal plate on top of their acrylic case

C4Labs makes acrylic cases for DRAWS both versions 1 with the SMA on the side and version 2 with the SMA on the end. They are working on a new version for the current rev, which has the Barrel Connector for DC.

Bryan K7UDR

On Jul 28, 2020, at 6:33 AM, Charlie Hein <chein@...> wrote:

Just askin'.  Is an acrylic case suitable, or should the Pi and DRAWS be housed in a metal case to help prevent RFI?

Charlie