Re: How susceptible is the DRAWS board to RFI? Metal Case required?

Stuart Longland VK4MSL

On 29/7/20 2:30 am, Chris Doutre wrote:
And keeping the antenna as far away from the Pi as possible. Sometimes tricky using an HT.
Even harder on a bicycle… In my situation, it'll be mounted beside my
FT-857D which is inside a 44L motorcycle plastic top-box. I do
sometimes run 100W on SSB on the 80m, 40m, 20m, 15m, 10m and 6m bands.

The antenna mounts are to the sides of that same top-box (with an earth
strap for the HF antenna). So in that situation, the RPi will be
mounted barely 30cm from the base of the HF antenna (and maybe a little
further away from the 2m/70cm antenna).

Keeping RF out of the microphone (in my helmet) has been a challenge,
particularly on lower bands.

My plan is, when the case finally arrives, to earth that to the antenna
ground system, possibly even double box the thing in another case so I
can put some cable retention in as I can guarantee those mini-DIN6
cables will just shake themselves loose.

(We'll see how WiFi range goes, I only need it to reach about 10m.
There are ways to replace the on-board antenna with a socket. FCC be
damned, they aren't in charge in this country.)
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.