Re: DRAWS - not able to receive APRS #aprs #direwolf #ax25

Corky Searls

Mark, yes the script is set up for IN2 as the primary use for the IC-7000 was for HF. It has been a while since I used it for VHF with the DRAWS and I have not tried the latest image. Not sure I will have time this week to test, but will try.

As a check, perhaps you can use the setalsq-ic-7000.sh script and run fldigi to make sure that you are receiving audio on the waterfall. This at least confirm that the audio chain is working. You will need to shut down ax25 with the script prior to running fldigi.

Are you able to decode the APRS message sent via the IC-7000?

Thanks and 73,
-Corky, AF4PM

On Sun, Sep 13, 2020, at 10:18 AM, Mark J Culross wrote:

Corky (AF4PM):

Thanks for your reply.  I did try combinations of turning 9600 on/off on the radio, along with setting pin 4(DESC) / pin 5(AF) in DRAWS manager, all with no detectable difference in decoding.

I found reports in the forum of better decoding using the discriminator pin.  However, by default, the "setalsa-ic7000.sh" script deactivates the "IN1" inputs (9600/discriminator) & activates the "IN2" inputs (1200/AF).  I temporarily modified the script to reverse this, again with no detectable difference in behavior.

The <https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/8992> reference gives a nice interconnection diagram with a great explanation of the hardware plumbing.

Thanks again for your reply !!

Mark J Culross
KD5RXT

On Sunday, September 13, 2020, 12:05:33 PM CDT, Corky Searls <af4pm@...> wrote:

Mark, a quick question regarding the IC-7000 config. Do you have this set for 1200 baud or 9K6? You will need to make sure that you are listening to the correct pin on the mini-din connector.

I believe the default for AX25 is the 9k6 pin, so you may need to set the radio to 9k6 (this just provides audio directly from the discriminator and does not really affect the actual baud rate)

Thanks and 73,
-Corky, AF4PM

On Sun, Sep 13, 2020, at 7:06 AM, Mark J Culross wrote:
I finally found some time to play with my new DRAWS (attached to RPi3B+, running current image dated 2020-Aug-22), but I've run into a roadbock.

To start, I followed <https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/DRAWS%3A-Image-getting-started>

I then followed <https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/docs/VERIFY_CONFIG.md>

The radio (IC-7000) is attached to the left side DIN6 connector (udr0).  I also ran the setalsa-ic7000.sh setup script.

I've attached output files with the results from the following commands:
- ax25-status
- ax25-status -d
- ax25-showcfg.sh
- alsa-show.sh

I have run each of the following at the root command line, but other than showing when I send a test position message using btest.sh, none of them show any indication of any APRS decoding (although I am tuned to 144.390 & can hear lots of packet activity from the radio):
- tail -f /var/log/direwolf/direwolf.log
- listen -a -h -i -p udr0 -r -t
- mheard

Any suggestion on what to check next ??

Thanks in advance,