Re: DRAWS - not able to receive APRS #aprs #direwolf #ax25

Mark J Culross

Basil (n7nix):

Thanks for your advice.  I believe that I understand all of your instructions & have executed them as directed, but APRS RX is still not working.  I did find that I could make quicker modifications of the connections/resistors using the DRAWS Manager selection for the desired audio pin . . . does that have the same effect as the changes you described & is it OK to use the DRAWS Manager to switch between resistors connected to IN1_L & IN2_L ??

As Corky suggested, I tested the receive path using fldigi (after stopping AX25/direwolf) & BTW, I also had to manually install libjpeg for fldigi to work, even though I am using the latest image (I found your reply with instructions elsewhere on the forum).  Using the waterfall display in fldigi (with the radio still on 144.390), I did confirm that audio is present on both pins (4/DISC & 5/AF) from the IC-7000 in VHF/FM mode.  Using either pin (4/5), I see the waterfall change whenever I hear a packet on the radio & the waterfall goes completely blank as expected when I select "OFF" for the left side DIN6 audio pin (udr0).

As I mentioned to Corky, I have not yet done anything with the transmit path, other than cause a test position message to be sent to verify PTT functionality.  For now, I'm just concentrating on trying to get RX of APRS to work, since I really thought that would be the easy case !!

Mark J Culross
KD5RXT

On Sunday, September 13, 2020, 2:08:08 PM CDT, Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:

First thanks for all the console output.

> The radio (IC-7000) is attached to the left side DIN6 connector
> (udr0). I also ran the "setalsa-ic7000.sh" setup script.

This could be your problem since that script tries to set up deviation
for the HF radio. You need to set deviation for the VHF/UHF radio in the
IC-7000. I would turn off discriminator receiver routing and turn on
compensated audio. I am not sure if the IC-7000 radio supports
discriminator out for vhf.

This is what you currently have, set by the setalsa script.

IN1        L:[10 kOhm]    R:[10 kOhm]
IN2        L:[Off]        R:[Off]

You want to flip these controls for Left channel manually. ie. turn off
IN1 & have 10 kOhm for IN2.

Run alsamixer from a console
press F6, select sound card
  - select udrc
scroll to the right until you find:
IN1_L to Left Mixer Positive Resistor [10 kOhm]
  - turn that off by typing <down-arrow>

Continue scrolling to the right until you find:
IN2_L to Left Mixer Positive Resistor [10 kOhm]
  - turn that ON by typing <up-arrow> once only

exit to save new settings

Be aware that there are both positive & negative resister controls ie.
IN1_L to Left Mixer Positive Resistor [Off]
IN1_L to Right Mixer Negative Resistor [Off]

You only want to set Left Mixer Positive Resistor control.

Verify by running alsa-show.sh

You need to confirm your deviation.

Go to this link
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/tree/master/deviation

This will lead you through how to output a steady audio tone that you will
monitor with an HT or some other radio in your shack.
Be sure to read the John Ackermann N8UR link.