Re: DRAWS - not able to receive APRS #aprs #direwolf #ax25

Mark J Culross

Basil (n7nix):

Thanks for your most recent post.  I am in a training class all week so I won't be able to get back to tinkering with my DRAWS until this weekend, but I'll definitely try to duplicate your setup.

As a side note, I have used my IC-7000 successfully for PSK31 (a loooong time ago, using a BUXCOMM RASCAL i/f), but I don't remember if that was thru the miniDIN6 or ACC port.  If I have a 13-pin ACC cable, it's probably buried in some unmarked box somewhere with my RASCAL i/f !!

Not wanting to be the victim of any ASSumptions, I did try my second miniDIN6 cable (I ordered two with my DRAWS board), but still no difference.  Unfortunately, the IC-7000 is my only VHF/UHF radio with miniDIN6, so I have only the one set of hardware (radio, DRAWS, 2 miniDIN6 cables) to test with.

On the TX side, I noted in an earlier message that I initiated a test position message transmission (using btest to verify PTT functionality) & I was able to confirm externally with my SDR that the DRAWS is putting out modulated data.  I have not done any "tuning" of this TX data (levels, etc.), as I want to concentrate strictly on verifying the RX path first !!  Correct me if I am mistaken in thinking that the RX & TX paths are independent.

I'll forward the result of running "showudrc.sh" when I get back to it this weekend.

One question:  in your description, you mention using nwdr17.  I've been starting with current_image.img.xz.  Is there any difference ??  Maybe I should try nwdr17.img.xz instead ??

Thanks again for your assistance !!

Mark J Culross
KD5RXT

On Monday, September 14, 2020, 10:58:24 AM CDT, Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:

> Tomorrow I will try to replicate from a fresh install.

Just finished a fresh install of nwdr17.

Using the default ALSA settings, did not run any setalsa- script (ADC
Level L:[0.00dB]), I was able to receive APRS packets on 2M using the
mDin6 cable to the IC-706.

I know it is a big assumption that the ic-706 & ic-7000 operate with
digital modes in a similar way but they both have a 13 pin ACC port & a
mDin6 Data port both of which work with DRAWS using an appropriate
cable. Do you have a cable that plugs into the ACC port?
https://hammadeparts.com/shop-for-cables/ols/products/icom-13-pin-din-acc-port-to-nw-digital-draws-hat-6-pin-mini-din-packet-port-plug

Which version of DRAWS hat & RPi are you running?
Could you please send me the output of showudrc.sh

$ udrcver.sh

Product ID:  0x0004
Product ver: 0x0108

$ piver.sh
Pi 4 Model B, Rev 1.1, 4GB mem, Mfg by Sony UK with WiFi

I think we should focus on the cable you are using and DRAWS hardware.
Do you have another vhf/uhf radio with a mini Din6 connector?
Could you please run the measure_deviate.sh script to verify you can
hear a tone in another radio.