Re: DRAWS - not able to receive APRS #aprs #direwolf #ax25

Basil Gunn

Mark J Culross <mjculross@...> writes:

Basil (n7nix):
Thanks for your most recent post. I am in a training class all week so
I won't be able to get back to tinkering with my DRAWS until this
weekend, but I'll definitely try to duplicate your setup.
Have fun in your training class.

As a side note, I have used my IC-7000 successfully for PSK31 (a
loooong time ago, using a BUXCOMM RASCAL i/f), but I don't remember if
that was thru the miniDIN6 or ACC port. If I have a 13-pin ACC cable,
it's probably buried in some unmarked box somewhere with my RASCAL i/f
!!
I was trying to qualify your cable and I don't think that is where the
problem lies. After verifying that my IC-706 can hear packets with a
default setup (without touching ALSA settings) I believe it's down to
either the IC-7000 config or a DRAWS hardware problem.

Not wanting to be the victim of any ASSumptions, I did try my second
miniDIN6 cable (I ordered two with my DRAWS board), but still no
difference.
Yep, confirmed, not a cable issue.

Unfortunately, the IC-7000 is my only VHF/UHF radio with
miniDIN6, so I have only the one set of hardware (radio, DRAWS, 2
miniDIN6 cables) to test with.
Do you have an HT? Would be useful to listen for output during transmit
config.

On the TX side, I noted in an earlier message that I initiated a test
position message transmission (using btest to verify PTT
functionality) & I was able to confirm externally with my SDR that the
DRAWS is putting out modulated data. I have not done any "tuning" of
this TX data (levels, etc.), as I want to concentrate strictly on
verifying the RX path first !! Correct me if I am mistaken in thinking
that the RX & TX paths are independent.
Yes, independent. With transmit need to verify PTT works and set up of
deviation.

I'll forward the result of running "showudrc.sh" when I get back to it
this weekend.
OK, I'm not going anywhere.

One question: in your description, you mention using nwdr17. I've been
starting with current_image.img.xz. Is there any difference ?? Maybe I
should try nwdr17.img.xz instead ??
current_image.img.xz and nwdr17.img.xz are the same file symbolically
linked.

ls -l
lrwxrwxrwx 1 www-data www-data 13 Aug 22 11:07 current_image.img.xz -> nwdr17.img.xz
-rw-r--r-- 1 www-data www-data 1974364348 Aug 22 11:02 nwdr17.img.xz

Thanks again for your assistance !!
Thanks for hanging in there !!

Mark J CulrossKD5RXT