Re: Yahboom Fan Hat

Jack Spitznagel

Hi Jon,

Looking at the device specs online, I have two immediate concerns:

#1 the vertical height and fan clearance may give you a dimensional issue,

#2 the fan will not run at all unless activated by the software.

Before going that way, I would want to know that the software that they provide will not interfere with the function of the DRAWS board.

BTW I have 2 DRAWS units.

# 1 is a current release version mounted on a RPi4 and in the NW Digital Radio case. I do need a fan with it. I found a pair on Amazon that fit the case. The CPU temp now runs acceptably cool. I was getting a thermal warning before I installed the fan.

# 2 is an “early experience” unit mounted on an RPi3B and in the “early experience” case. I mounted the other fan on it because I had it… 😊 It runs only Direwolf and XASTIR and tend to run

Link to the pair of cheap quiet fans: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072FW3DDQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#1 (on Pi4) looks like this:

Nice unit that performs very well. I run Direwolf, XASTIR, and the “Ham Clock” software simultaneously and drive a 25” HDMI monitor with it. It tends to run about 55C/132F in that configuration with the fan. It was throwing the heat warning without the fan.

Jack Spitznagel – KD4IZ

kd4iz@...