Re: New DRAWS user with some quick questions

Roderick Wayne Hart Sr.

Make sure you buy class 10 memory chips.

From: udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io <udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io> on behalf of Basil Gunn <basil@...>
Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2021 7:32:49 PM
To: udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io <udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [draws and udrc] New DRAWS user with some quick questions

Hi Jack,
See my (just) suggestions embedded.

Jack Twilley <mathuin@...> writes:

> I saw that the DRAWS hat and case were available for sale again and
> just bought them.
>
> I'm waiting for the Raspberry Pi 4 and SD card to arrive so while I
> wait I wanted to ask a few questions.

Buy a few more SD cards.

I use 16GB more than any thing but 32 GB also OK (other larger sizes
also OK but over kill) Make sure you buy MICRO SD cards.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MR6K8PD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-UHS-I-Memory-Adapter/dp/B00M55C0NS/ref=sr_1_4

> I've checked the wiki but haven't found all the answers there.

Use the search option on the groups.io forum
https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/search?q=706

> I *did* find the n7nix GitHub which looks up-to-date and chock full of
> stuff.

Yep.

> I'm using an IC-706MkIIG.

I own that rig so well supported.

> I understand from reading the mailing list that GPIO keying is the
> right choice when using the supplied cable with the rig's data port.
>
> The rig also has a 13-pin accessory port for which I have a 6-pin
> cable adapter which I used to use with a RIGblaster.

I use this from HAM Made Parts:
https://hammadeparts.com/shop-for-cables/ols/products/kenwood-13-pin-din-acc-port-to-nw-digital-draws-hat-6-pin-mini-din-packet-port-plug

> Am I better off using the known GPIO keying approach or
> is there something to be gained by using the other port?

Using GPIO to control PTT has the lowest latency.

> If so, how should it be configured?  The n7nix document includes a
> pinout of the 6-pin port from what appears to be the rig side.

The supplied mDin 6 cable is compatible with the IC-706