Re: SD Surprise

Jeremy McDermond <mcdermj@...>

You may want to take a look at this script:

https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/pi-gen/blob/compass/export-image/prerun.sh

It’s a part of the “pi-gen” software that’s used to create Raspbian images. It will create an image file that is the smallest possible for the amount of data. This allows you to expand it when it’s put on a new card. You may be able to adapt it to your backup procedure to get a backup image that you can restore on more different sized cards.

On Oct 12, 2016, at 9:35 AM, John McDonough <wb8rcr@arrl.net> wrote:

Of course I recognized that an 8GB SD card isn't really 8GB, but I sort
of expected that all the manufacturers would use the same sleazy math
to inflate their size. Not so.

The reason this is important is that the safest, easiest way to back up
a Raspberry Pi is to make an image copy of the SD card from time to
time. Something happens, just restore the image onto a fresh card and
you are good to go.

*BUT*, it turns out that Kingston 8GB SD cards are more than 20MB
larger than SanDisk cards. So if you made the original image on a
Kingston card, you can't restore it to a SanDisk card.

So perhaps I need to pick one or the other and stock up on them.

Bummer.

—McD

Jeremy McDermond
nh6z@nh6z.net