Re: SD Surprise

VE3MIC

Due to the problems with different image sizes, and the variance in usable free  (advertized) space for the same size SD cards, I've abandoned Win32DiskImager.
I now use an image backup utility by Acronis. It can be "told" not to backup unused, free space unlike Win32DiskImager which requires 2 identical SD cards regardless of how much space is being occupied on the source image.
There are other "Free" programs out there that will ignore the unused partition space, but I have not tried any of them.
73 de Mike

On Wednesday, October 12, 2016 12:49 PM, Jeremy McDermond <mcdermj@...> wrote:

You may want to take a look at this script:

https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/pi-gen/blob/compass/export-image/prerun.sh

It’s a part of the “pi-gen” software that’s used to create Raspbian images.  It will create an image file that is the smallest possible for the amount of data.  This allows you to expand it when it’s put on a new card.  You may be able to adapt it to your backup procedure to get a backup image that you can restore on more different sized cards.

> On Oct 12, 2016, at 9:35 AM, John McDonough <wb8rcr@...> wrote:
>
> Of course I recognized that an 8GB SD card isn't really 8GB, but I sort
> of expected that all the manufacturers would use the same sleazy math
> to inflate their size.  Not so.
>
> The reason this is important is that the safest, easiest way to back up
> a Raspberry Pi is to make an image copy of the SD card from time to
> time.  Something happens, just restore the image onto a fresh card and
> you are good to go.
>
> *BUT*, it turns out that Kingston 8GB SD cards are more than 20MB
> larger than SanDisk cards.  So if you made the original image on a
> Kingston card, you can't restore it to a SanDisk card.
>
> So perhaps I need to pick one or the other and stock up on them.
>
> Bummer.
>
> —McD

Jeremy McDermond
nh6z@...