Date   

Re: Latest kernel on compass distribution

Edouard Lafargue
 

  Correct! Unfortunately, with the UDRC configured in 2 channel mode, Direwolf (correctly) emulates a 2-port TNC, and not every program understands this, especially to talk to the second channel... I improved Polaric server to suport multiport TNCs, but this is only possible for open source software...

Ed

On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 3:23 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

Direwolf has a built in to kiss.


Re: Latest kernel on compass distribution

Bob Nielsen <n7xy@...>
 

I haven't fiddled much with Linux recently, but i recall that in the past, apt-get update (in Debian at least) would not replace a kernel. The kernel package would be listed as "held-back" but could be installed by specifying the package in an apt-get install command.

Bob, N7XY

On 11/19/16 7:27 PM, Jeremy McDermond wrote:
On Nov 19, 2016, at 2:31 PM, Edouard Lafargue <ed@...> wrote:

Hi fellow UDRC users,

I was wondering about the latest plans on the Compass distribution - I recently hit a bad Kernel bug related to the AX25 stack, and would like to upgrade the Linux kernel to the most recent version that supports the UDCR-II soundcard: are there instructions somewhere on how to do this? My understanding is that the raspbian standard command to upgrade the kernel will break the distribution, is that still the case?
It depends on what you mean about the “raspbian standard command to upgrade the kernel.” In the olden days of the original Raspberry Pi, the Foundation released Raspbian where the only way you got a kernel was on your original distribution image. Otherwise, they kept a kernel in a GitHub repository and you could download all the pieces. Some enterprising folks wrote a program called “rpi-update” that would download the new kernel pieces from GitHub for you and replace them out. This wasn’t a great way of upgrading your kernel and was contrary to the normal ways that Linux would upgrade things.

To fix this, the Foundation make proper .deb packages of the kernel, firmware and other goodies. You will see these on Compass as packages like raspberrypi-firmware and such. These will contain the most current stable kernel and such. Compass replaces out these packages with our own that have a kernel with the proper drivers included. Those kernels are built off of the source housed at https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/linux.git repository from the udr/mcdermj branch (this will eventually change to master when I have half a chance to move some things around). There is a Jenkins Continuous Integration instance that will automatically build a kernel package every time a commit happens on the udr/mcdermj branch. If this build is successful, the resulting packages are automatically uploaded to archive.compasslinux.org on the “wilderness” branch for folks to test and destroy.

The upshot of all of this is that the “raspbian standard command” is now “apt-get update && apt-get upgrade” just like Ubuntu, Debian or a lot of other Linuxes.

As far as the state of the kernel, I try to merge in the upstream sources every couple of months and produce a new wilderness kernel. If it looks stable to us, I’ll promote it to the new kernel in our stable branch named “alder”. I hope to one day try to have automatic merging of the upstream Raspbian tree into wilderness by Jenkins.

I realized I hadn’t merged upstream updates in a while, so I got a merge going on the current source. It seems to compile okay, so Jenkins is chewing on it now. There should be a fresh kernel in wilderness in a bit. If you have a specific commit you can point me at, I can try to make sure that the patch gets into the build.

Also note that our eventual solution to this problem is to try to get the changes into the upstream Linux distributions so that a new kernel is no longer necessary. I’m still working on getting more pieces submitted, but my time has become rather limited of late.

Thanks in advance

Ed W6ELA
--
Jeremy McDermond
nh6z@...


Re: Latest kernel on compass distribution

 

Direwolf has a built in to kiss.


On Nov 20, 2016 15:05, "Edouard Lafargue" <ed@...> wrote:
  Thanks Bernard! Yes, this is the bug I have been hitting as well - a straighforward kernel panic when using net2kiss, which is frustrating - it's the only missing link for my RPi setup, I have native AX25, AWGPE emulation and the rest working great, but I still need TCPKISS for a couple of applications such as Winlink Express...

73 de ed w6ela

On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 9:25 AM, f6bvp <f6bvp@...> wrote:
Hi all,

I have been working on the AX.25 module bug that is responsible of a kernel panic and crash. It appeared recently on Raspbian distro when performing an rpi-update. I checked all previous kernels and finally localized the bug in LINUX kernel 4.1.15. Then I worked on a simple patch that I discussed with AX.25 maintainers and others. However the patch has not yet been committed to netdev mailing list and it could take a long time to be done. It is sad that this bug prevents us from upgrading kernel to keep a safe AX.25 system working.
If Raspbian or Compass distro (I am now using with UDRC-II for 9600 bauds in ground station for Cubesat French satellites project) could be patched, it would be a nice feature.


Re: Latest kernel on compass distribution

Edouard Lafargue
 

  Thanks Bernard! Yes, this is the bug I have been hitting as well - a straighforward kernel panic when using net2kiss, which is frustrating - it's the only missing link for my RPi setup, I have native AX25, AWGPE emulation and the rest working great, but I still need TCPKISS for a couple of applications such as Winlink Express...

73 de ed w6ela

On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 9:25 AM, f6bvp <f6bvp@...> wrote:
Hi all,

I have been working on the AX.25 module bug that is responsible of a kernel panic and crash. It appeared recently on Raspbian distro when performing an rpi-update. I checked all previous kernels and finally localized the bug in LINUX kernel 4.1.15. Then I worked on a simple patch that I discussed with AX.25 maintainers and others. However the patch has not yet been committed to netdev mailing list and it could take a long time to be done. It is sad that this bug prevents us from upgrading kernel to keep a safe AX.25 system working.
If Raspbian or Compass distro (I am now using with UDRC-II for 9600 bauds in ground station for Cubesat French satellites project) could be patched, it would be a nice feature.


Re: UDRC-II and Yaesu 857D.

Urdc@...
 

1. Figured out how to search! 😬


2. Yes, plugging in the din kills my external speaker, I thought that was strange! 


3.  I was really expecting Dire Wolf off to be a full TNC when I saw the "cmd:" prompt, like my Kenwood Radios have. That was a misunderstanding on my part.


I am looking to stay pure RPi, Compass Linux and have Terminal Node BBS access, as well as doing PSK31 and JT-65. For winlink I am kinda hosed unless I run RMS gateway and use a smtp mail client.. but baby steps. :-)



Re: UDRC-II and Yaesu 857D.

 

Use the spyglass on the messages screen (Just to the right of the HashTags button.

Inline image 1

On Sat, Nov 19, 2016 at 5:47 PM, <udrc@...> wrote:

Hello Group,

2 quick newbie questions. 

 1. How does one search the content in groups.io so that I do not do what I am about to do and ask something that someone might have answered.? 

2. I have a Yaesu 857D, tuned it to VHF on my local ARES BBS frequency, ran the direwolf set up as directed in the FAQ. Then I Telnetted to the 8001 TCP port to check things out. a "c <bbs callsign>" kinda went into the great silence, and no activity on the radio. Anyone have Yaesu 857D integration advice? (Using the 6 pin DIN)


Nick







--


John D. Hays
K7VE

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223
   


Re: UDRC-II and Yaesu 857D.

Stuart Longland VK4MSL
 

On 20/11/16 11:47, @Nellson wrote:
2. I have a Yaesu 857D, tuned it to VHF on my local ARES BBS frequency,
ran the direwolf set up as directed in the FAQ. Then I Telnetted to the
8001 TCP port to check things out. a "c <bbs callsign>" kinda went into
the great silence, and no activity on the radio. Anyone have Yaesu 857D
integration advice? (Using the 6 pin DIN)
Out of interest, if you turn the squelch right down then plug the
UDRC-II in, does the sound cut out?

I found I hit this issue with the FT-897D, and the answer was a pull-up
to 3.3V:
https://stuartl.longlandclan.id.au/blog/2016/11/20/getting-the-udrc-ii-to-play-nice-with-the-yaesu-ft-897d/
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.


Re: Latest kernel on compass distribution

Jeremy McDermond <mcdermj@...>
 

On Nov 20, 2016, at 9:25 AM, f6bvp <f6bvp@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I have been working on the AX.25 module bug that is responsible of a kernel panic and crash. It appeared recently on Raspbian distro when performing an rpi-update. I checked all previous kernels and finally localized the bug in LINUX kernel 4.1.15. Then I worked on a simple patch that I discussed with AX.25 maintainers and others. However the patch has not yet been committed to netdev mailing list and it could take a long time to be done. It is sad that this bug prevents us from upgrading kernel to keep a safe AX.25 system working.
If Raspbian or Compass distro (I am now using with UDRC-II for 9600 bauds in ground station for Cubesat French satellites project) could be patched, it would be a nice feature.
We do put special patches in the kernel for Ham Radio stuff. There’s already an AX.25 patch by one of our developers in there to fix some bugginess that was happening with paclink unix.

If you send me the patch privately, I will certainly consider adding it to our tree.

--
Jeremy McDermond
nh6z@...


Re: Latest kernel on compass distribution

Bernard f6bvp / ai7bg
 

Hi all,

I have been working on the AX.25 module bug that is responsible of a kernel panic and crash. It appeared recently on Raspbian distro when performing an rpi-update. I checked all previous kernels and finally localized the bug in LINUX kernel 4.1.15. Then I worked on a simple patch that I discussed with AX.25 maintainers and others. However the patch has not yet been committed to netdev mailing list and it could take a long time to be done. It is sad that this bug prevents us from upgrading kernel to keep a safe AX.25 system working.
If Raspbian or Compass distro (I am now using with UDRC-II for 9600 bauds in ground station for Cubesat French satellites project) could be patched, it would be a nice feature.

73 de Bernard f6bvp


Sent from my iPhone

Le 20 nov. 2016 à 04:27, Jeremy McDermond <mcdermj@...> a écrit :


On Nov 19, 2016, at 2:31 PM, Edouard Lafargue <ed@...> wrote:

Hi fellow UDRC users,

 I was wondering about the latest plans on the Compass distribution - I recently hit a bad Kernel bug related to the AX25 stack, and would like to upgrade the Linux kernel to the most recent version that supports the UDCR-II soundcard: are there instructions somewhere on how to do this? My understanding is that the raspbian standard command to upgrade the kernel will break the distribution, is that still the case?

It depends on what you mean about the “raspbian standard command to upgrade the kernel.”  In the olden days of the original Raspberry Pi, the Foundation released Raspbian where the only way you got a kernel was on your original distribution image.  Otherwise, they kept a kernel in a GitHub repository and you could download all the pieces.  Some enterprising folks wrote a program called “rpi-update” that would download the new kernel pieces from GitHub for you and replace them out.  This wasn’t a great way of upgrading your kernel and was contrary to the normal ways that Linux would upgrade things.

To fix this, the Foundation make proper .deb packages of the kernel, firmware and other goodies.  You will see these on Compass as packages like raspberrypi-firmware and such.  These will contain the most current stable kernel and such.  Compass replaces out these packages with our own that have a kernel with the proper drivers included.  Those kernels are built off of the source housed at https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/linux.git repository from the udr/mcdermj branch (this will eventually change to master when I have half a chance to move some things around).  There is a Jenkins Continuous Integration instance that will automatically build a kernel package every time a commit happens on the udr/mcdermj branch.  If this build is successful, the resulting packages are automatically uploaded to archive.compasslinux.org on the “wilderness” branch for folks to test and destroy.

The upshot of all of this is that the “raspbian standard command” is now “apt-get update && apt-get upgrade” just like Ubuntu, Debian or a lot of other Linuxes.

As far as the state of the kernel, I try to merge in the upstream sources every couple of months and produce a new wilderness kernel.  If it looks stable to us, I’ll promote it to the new kernel in our stable branch named “alder”.  I hope to one day try to have automatic merging of the upstream Raspbian tree into wilderness by Jenkins.

I realized I hadn’t merged upstream updates in a while, so I got a merge going on the current source.  It seems to compile okay, so Jenkins is chewing on it now.  There should be a fresh kernel in wilderness in a bit.  If you have a specific commit you can point me at, I can try to make sure that the patch gets into the build.

Also note that our eventual solution to this problem is to try to get the changes into the upstream Linux distributions so that a new kernel is no longer necessary.  I’m still working on getting more pieces submitted, but my time has become rather limited of late.

Thanks in advance

Ed W6ELA

--
Jeremy McDermond
nh6z@...



UDRC-II and Yaesu 857D.

udrc@...
 

Hello Group,

2 quick newbie questions. 

 1. How does one search the content in groups.io so that I do not do what I am about to do and ask something that someone might have answered.? 

2. I have a Yaesu 857D, tuned it to VHF on my local ARES BBS frequency, ran the direwolf set up as directed in the FAQ. Then I Telnetted to the 8001 TCP port to check things out. a "c <bbs callsign>" kinda went into the great silence, and no activity on the radio. Anyone have Yaesu 857D integration advice? (Using the 6 pin DIN)


Nick





Re: Latest kernel on compass distribution

Jeremy McDermond <mcdermj@...>
 

On Nov 19, 2016, at 2:31 PM, Edouard Lafargue <ed@...> wrote:

Hi fellow UDRC users,

I was wondering about the latest plans on the Compass distribution - I recently hit a bad Kernel bug related to the AX25 stack, and would like to upgrade the Linux kernel to the most recent version that supports the UDCR-II soundcard: are there instructions somewhere on how to do this? My understanding is that the raspbian standard command to upgrade the kernel will break the distribution, is that still the case?
It depends on what you mean about the “raspbian standard command to upgrade the kernel.” In the olden days of the original Raspberry Pi, the Foundation released Raspbian where the only way you got a kernel was on your original distribution image. Otherwise, they kept a kernel in a GitHub repository and you could download all the pieces. Some enterprising folks wrote a program called “rpi-update” that would download the new kernel pieces from GitHub for you and replace them out. This wasn’t a great way of upgrading your kernel and was contrary to the normal ways that Linux would upgrade things.

To fix this, the Foundation make proper .deb packages of the kernel, firmware and other goodies. You will see these on Compass as packages like raspberrypi-firmware and such. These will contain the most current stable kernel and such. Compass replaces out these packages with our own that have a kernel with the proper drivers included. Those kernels are built off of the source housed at https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/linux.git repository from the udr/mcdermj branch (this will eventually change to master when I have half a chance to move some things around). There is a Jenkins Continuous Integration instance that will automatically build a kernel package every time a commit happens on the udr/mcdermj branch. If this build is successful, the resulting packages are automatically uploaded to archive.compasslinux.org on the “wilderness” branch for folks to test and destroy.

The upshot of all of this is that the “raspbian standard command” is now “apt-get update && apt-get upgrade” just like Ubuntu, Debian or a lot of other Linuxes.

As far as the state of the kernel, I try to merge in the upstream sources every couple of months and produce a new wilderness kernel. If it looks stable to us, I’ll promote it to the new kernel in our stable branch named “alder”. I hope to one day try to have automatic merging of the upstream Raspbian tree into wilderness by Jenkins.

I realized I hadn’t merged upstream updates in a while, so I got a merge going on the current source. It seems to compile okay, so Jenkins is chewing on it now. There should be a fresh kernel in wilderness in a bit. If you have a specific commit you can point me at, I can try to make sure that the patch gets into the build.

Also note that our eventual solution to this problem is to try to get the changes into the upstream Linux distributions so that a new kernel is no longer necessary. I’m still working on getting more pieces submitted, but my time has become rather limited of late.

Thanks in advance

Ed W6ELA
--
Jeremy McDermond
nh6z@...


Latest kernel on compass distribution

Edouard Lafargue
 

Hi fellow UDRC users,

  I was wondering about the latest plans on the Compass distribution - I recently hit a bad Kernel bug related to the AX25 stack, and would like to upgrade the Linux kernel to the most recent version that supports the UDCR-II soundcard: are there instructions somewhere on how to do this? My understanding is that the raspbian standard command to upgrade the kernel will break the distribution, is that still the case?


Thanks in advance

Ed W6ELA


Re: UDRC-II squelch on the Yaesu FT-897D

Stuart Longland VK4MSL
 

Hi Bryan,
On 17/11/16 07:46, Bryan Hoyer wrote:
Stuart, have you made any progress on this problem?

I’d like to understand what’s going on and help get this resolved.
I had a look this morning and was able to tack on a small resistor to
that pin of the Mini-DIN6 jack and find a +3.3V source to power it with.

That seems to have resolved the issue. At first with the Pi powered
down, the problem remained, but it disappeared the moment I applied
power, indicating the pull-up was indeed doing the job intended.

https://stuartl.longlandclan.id.au/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/udrc-mod-720x540.jpg
is the modification made.

I'm not sure if it perhaps should use a diode to ensure the radio
doesn't accidentally try feeding +12V into the +3.3V line via this
resistor, but for now, it's working.

Many thanks.
Regards,
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.


Re: Reflector 30C RX on ID-5100 from DR-1X Repeater with UDRC Controller

Dan Porter (AI2M)
 

Missing gateway call sign in the R2 field on his radio?

On Nov 19, 2016, at 12:23 PM, Rich KR4PI <rich.schnieders@...> wrote:

That was my understanding as well, the audio path is the same whether it comes from the repeater input or the reflector. I am at a loss other than there is an issue with the specific ID-5100.

Thanks

Rich, KR4PI


Re: Reflector 30C RX on ID-5100 from DR-1X Repeater with UDRC Controller

 

That was my understanding as well, the audio path is the same whether it comes from the repeater input or the reflector. I am at a loss other than there is an issue with the specific ID-5100.

Thanks

Rich, KR4PI


Re: Reflector 30C RX on ID-5100 from DR-1X Repeater with UDRC Controller

 

Nothing changes as far as UDRC transmission when connected to a reflector.


On Nov 19, 2016 08:13, "Rich KR4PI" <rich.schnieders@...> wrote:

We have just encountered an interesting situation on our repeater. It is a DR-1X repeater with UDRC controller. It  works great for almost everyone, even people with ID-5100's. We have spent quite a bit of time getting the audio settings just right so the ID-5100's receive without difficulty. However this morning we discovered one of our club members with an ID-5100 who has difficulty receiving audio when the repeater is linked to REF030C. When we unlink he receives just fine, When we link to 30C he receives only the first little bit of the transmission and then nothing. He can see on his radio that the repeater is still transmitting but no audio is decoded. Then we unlink REF030C full audio is back. We tested with another reflector REF007C and he does not have this difficulty. 

I know the ID-5100 is picky on audio settings and have adjusted for that. He can receive the repeater fine, it is only when REF030C is linked. We have several others with ID-5100's in the club who do not experience this problem. That leads me to believe it is something germane to the one specific ID-5100, but it receives the repeater without issue, just not when 30C is linked. Anyone have any ideas or further troubleshooting we might be able to perform? 

Thanks in advance for all the help. It is always fun to solve a mystery.  The UDRC runs great and has been working without issue for several months now.

Rich, KR4PI




Re: Reflector 30C RX on ID-5100 from DR-1X Repeater with UDRC Controller

John McDonough
 

On Sat, 2016-11-19 at 08:13 -0800, Rich KR4PI wrote:
We have just encountered an interesting situation on our repeater. It
is a DR-1X repeater with UDRC controller. It  works great for almost
everyone, even people with ID-5100's.
Curious.  I have two 5100's and no audio issues with either.  Now, I
haven't messed with any audio settings on the UDRC; just straight out
of the box whatever the defaults.

DR-1X, UDRC (the old one, not the 2), One 5100 was bought as ver 1.20,
the other 1.10, but both are up to 1.20 firmware.  And REF030C plays
just like any other reflector.

--McD


Reflector 30C RX on ID-5100 from DR-1X Repeater with UDRC Controller

 

We have just encountered an interesting situation on our repeater. It is a DR-1X repeater with UDRC controller. It  works great for almost everyone, even people with ID-5100's. We have spent quite a bit of time getting the audio settings just right so the ID-5100's receive without difficulty. However this morning we discovered one of our club members with an ID-5100 who has difficulty receiving audio when the repeater is linked to REF030C. When we unlink he receives just fine, When we link to 30C he receives only the first little bit of the transmission and then nothing. He can see on his radio that the repeater is still transmitting but no audio is decoded. Then we unlink REF030C full audio is back. We tested with another reflector REF007C and he does not have this difficulty. 

I know the ID-5100 is picky on audio settings and have adjusted for that. He can receive the repeater fine, it is only when REF030C is linked. We have several others with ID-5100's in the club who do not experience this problem. That leads me to believe it is something germane to the one specific ID-5100, but it receives the repeater without issue, just not when 30C is linked. Anyone have any ideas or further troubleshooting we might be able to perform? 

Thanks in advance for all the help. It is always fun to solve a mystery.  The UDRC runs great and has been working without issue for several months now.

Rich, KR4PI




Re: Installing a DCV Barrel Connector on the UDRC-II

 

Can a company setup a list of favorites on Youtube as well as their
own uploads? NWDR has two ancient videos of their own but quite a
number of related videos posted by others.

https://www.youtube.com/user/NWDigtalRadio


Thanks, I linked to it from https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/Powering-the-UDRC%E2%84%A2-and-Raspberry-Pi-with-12-VDC
73
Bill, WA7NWP

PS. The Python tool, youtube-dl, is awesome....


Re: Installing a DCV Barrel Connector on the UDRC-II

 

On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 4:48 PM, Budd Churchward <budd@...> wrote:

I just posted a video on installing a DC connector to the UDRC-II PCB.



View the Video on YouTube




--


John D. Hays
K7VE

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223