Date   

Re: Yaesu DR-2X with UDRC

Randy Neals
 

It might be helpful/useful for someone on this list to reach out to the the Arcom folks and collaborate re findings. As I don't have a DR2X, I can't speak authoritatively, but I do think some collaboration would help to put coordinated back pressure on Yaesu US to "Get their act together".

I would have expected Yaesu to work with Repeater Controller manufacturers and have Beta Tested the DR2X like they did with the DR1X and SCOM. 

They don't have manuals, so we can't determine what the intended mode of operation is for the DR2X. And without knowing how it's supposed to work, we can't really file a bug report - maybe it's intended to work that way.


My own approach...

I'm using Icom FR-5000/FR-6000 commercial repeaters as my amateur repeaters.
I'm currently studying/planning how to interface a UDRC-II using either the DB-25 on the back, or if that lacks the signals I need, the UC FR5000 dPMR/IDAS networking card slot on the back of the repeater.

A really awesome outcome would be a plug-in card that slides into this repeater with a Raspberry Pi and UDRC-II integrated, but that would be challenging to produce in small volume.

eg. Further explanation what I'm talking about.

DB-25 Reference
http://www.nxdnradio.com/images/pdf/Icom/FR5000_DB-25_Acc_Pinouts.pdf

UC FR5000 dPMR/IDAS Ethernet controller card.
http://www.icom.co.jp/world/support/download/manual/pdf/UC-FR5000_dPMR_0.pdf

FR5000/FR6000 Repeater
http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/systems/IDAS/fr5000_fr6000/default.aspx

Randy, W3RWN



On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 5:14 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
ARCOM's notes are showing even more troubling problems with DR-2X interface port.  Hopefully, it will be resolved, but for now it means no UDRC capability (but it applies to any external controller).

On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 5:09 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
Thanks Randy.

On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 4:29 PM, Randy Neals <randy@...> wrote:
This may be helpful to the thread/discussion.

From the Arcom controllers Mailing List.
Randy, W3RWN

-


John D. Hays
Edmonds, WA
K7VE

   




--


John D. Hays
Edmonds, WA
K7VE

   



Re: Yaesu DR-2X with UDRC

 

ARCOM's notes are showing even more troubling problems with DR-2X interface port.  Hopefully, it will be resolved, but for now it means no UDRC capability (but it applies to any external controller).

On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 5:09 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
Thanks Randy.

On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 4:29 PM, Randy Neals <randy@...> wrote:
This may be helpful to the thread/discussion.

From the Arcom controllers Mailing List.
Randy, W3RWN

-


John D. Hays
Edmonds, WA
K7VE

   




--


John D. Hays
Edmonds, WA
K7VE

   


Re: Yaesu DR-2X with UDRC

 

Thanks Randy.

On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 4:29 PM, Randy Neals <randy@...> wrote:
This may be helpful to the thread/discussion.

From the Arcom controllers Mailing List.
Randy, W3RWN

-


John D. Hays
Edmonds, WA
K7VE

   


Re: Yaesu DR-2X with UDRC

Randy Neals
 

This may be helpful to the thread/discussion.

From the Arcom controllers Mailing List.
Randy, W3RWN

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject:[rc210] **Update on Yaesu DR2x
Date:Tue, 19 Sep 2017 11:23:12 -0700
From:Ken Arck ken@... [rc210] <rc210@...>
Reply-To:rc210@...
To:rc210@...


Hi All

It appears the DR2x we received the other day has some problems as no 
signals seem to be available on the back panel DB15 (used to 
interface with an external controller). There is no COS indication, 
no discriminator audio, no CTCSS decode indication, etc. As such we 
are unable to do any meaningful testing.

I have personally been on the phone this morning with the tech staff 
at Yaesu, including the appointed "expert" and we're attempting to 
work our way through this (although they have indicated they really 
have little on-hands experience with the DR2x and no service manual 
is yet available). They did indicate that if we (Arcom) wants to 
troubleshoot the problem as we can, they're fine with that and we 
will attempt to do so as we have time. Obviously we cannot answer at 
this point, whether the ADR works properly with the DR2x or not.

I also asked a customer who also has a DR2x to check for signals on 
the back panel connector and his appears to have COS but not 
discriminator audio so he likewise is dead in the water for now.

I'll let everyone know what progress we make on this (if any).

Ken

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
President and CTO - Arcom Communications
Makers of repeater controllers and accessories.
http://www.arcomcontrollers.com/
Authorized Dealers for Kenwood and Telewave and
we offer complete repeater packages!
AH6LE/R - IRLP Node 3000
http://www.irlp.net
"We don't just make 'em. We use 'em!"



------------------------------------
Posted by: Ken Arck <ken@...>
------------------------------------

On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 3:00 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:


On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 1:05 PM, Paul, K3PGM <pgm0203@...> wrote:
John:

Thanks for the update!

Do you know whether it's a fundamental limitation with the DR-2X, or more of a question of additional engineering on your end?

At this point it is fundamental in that the pin that is supposed to provide discriminator audio doesn't decode -- but, I haven't had a chance to figure out if this is fundamental or can be overcome.
 
I noticed from the manual that EXT ports 1 and 2 are interpreted differently on the DR-2X, which would certainly break things; are there other issues?


Yes, I will have to address those with special cabling, but if I can't get clean discriminator all bets are off. I think we are OK on transmit, but won't really know until fully tested.

Also, there is the question of interplay with the LAN card (I have one installed, though I have tested with it disabled and enabled).
 
On a related note, we were about to send one of our DR-1X units with a UDRC-II attached back to Yaesu for an update; should we hold off because of potential issues, or are the problems you observed specific to the DR-2X?


I assume you would remove the UDRC-II before sending it in.  Is this just an update (eg. firmware) or in exchange for a DR-2X?  If just an update, it should be fine.  However, if going to DR-2X, I cannot recommend it at this time. 

--


John D. Hays
Edmonds, WA
K7VE

   



Re: Yaesu DR-2X with UDRC

 



On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 1:05 PM, Paul, K3PGM <pgm0203@...> wrote:
John:

Thanks for the update!

Do you know whether it's a fundamental limitation with the DR-2X, or more of a question of additional engineering on your end?

At this point it is fundamental in that the pin that is supposed to provide discriminator audio doesn't decode -- but, I haven't had a chance to figure out if this is fundamental or can be overcome.
 
I noticed from the manual that EXT ports 1 and 2 are interpreted differently on the DR-2X, which would certainly break things; are there other issues?


Yes, I will have to address those with special cabling, but if I can't get clean discriminator all bets are off. I think we are OK on transmit, but won't really know until fully tested.

Also, there is the question of interplay with the LAN card (I have one installed, though I have tested with it disabled and enabled).
 
On a related note, we were about to send one of our DR-1X units with a UDRC-II attached back to Yaesu for an update; should we hold off because of potential issues, or are the problems you observed specific to the DR-2X?


I assume you would remove the UDRC-II before sending it in.  Is this just an update (eg. firmware) or in exchange for a DR-2X?  If just an update, it should be fine.  However, if going to DR-2X, I cannot recommend it at this time. 

--


John D. Hays
Edmonds, WA
K7VE

   


Re: Yaesu DR-2X with UDRC

Paul, K3PGM
 

John:

Thanks for the update!

Do you know whether it's a fundamental limitation with the DR-2X, or more of a question of additional engineering on your end? I noticed from the manual that EXT ports 1 and 2 are interpreted differently on the DR-2X, which would certainly break things; are there other issues?

On a related note, we were about to send one of our DR-1X units with a UDRC-II attached back to Yaesu for an update; should we hold off because of potential issues, or are the problems you observed specific to the DR-2X?

Thanks!
Paul Milazzo, K3PGM


Re: Yaesu DR-2X with UDRC

 

John,

That doesn't entirely surprise me with all the folks that were complaining about how other people were using it.

Matthew Pitts
N8OHU


On September 19, 2017 2:24:10 AM EDT, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
I've had a DR-2X for a couple of days and at the current time my findings are not favorable for adding D-STAR to the DR-2X using the UDRC.

--
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.


Re: Yaesu DR-2X with UDRC

 

I've had a DR-2X for a couple of days and at the current time my findings are not favorable for adding D-STAR to the DR-2X using the UDRC.


Re: Kenwood TKR-750/850

N7MQ Steve
 

Mason,

I know this is an old thread but hopefully you still monitor it. I have a TKR-750 and I am trying to get it working dual mode. I can get it working Dstar or analog but not together. I've tried using some of the documentation for the bridgecom repeater wiki, but I'm having difficulty getting the repeater configured right. I was wondering if you have gone any further in making it a dual mode system. 

73's,

Steve - N7MQ


Re: Yaesu DR-2X with UDRC

 

Yaesu just hit my card for the DR-2X, so they will likely be shipping shortly.  I should have an answer shortly after it arrives.


Re: UDRC port forwarding

W2TLJ <tjoneson@...>
 

Cat 5 is rated up to 100 Mbps and is more than adequate.

On Aug 31, 2017 11:03 AM, "Bob Stille" <kc8mlb@...> wrote:

For a wired connection between the UDRC/Pi controller in the repeater rack and the network switch, should shielded cable be used or is unshielded CAT5 sufficient?

 

Thanks,

Bob

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: John D Hays - K7VE
Sent: Friday, August 4, 2017 7:44 PM
To: udrc@....io
Subject: Re: [udrc] UDRC port forwarding

 

In addition to the info at https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/Configuring-ircDDBgateway#Setup-Port-Forwarding

 

You will want to map a port for ssh and remote control. You pick the ports and configure accordingly. 

 

On Aug 4, 2017 16:36, "Bob Stille" <kc8mlb@...> wrote:

John,

 

I have set up the DR-1X repeater with the UDRC controller in our community.  I wish to access the controller over the internet.  The ISP is the local cable company and they want to know what ports need to be forwarded to access the UDRC/Raspberry Pi through their router.

 

Thanks,

Bob     KC8MLB

 

 


Re: UDRC port forwarding

Bob Stille
 

For a wired connection between the UDRC/Pi controller in the repeater rack and the network switch, should shielded cable be used or is unshielded CAT5 sufficient?

 

Thanks,

Bob

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: John D Hays - K7VE
Sent: Friday, August 4, 2017 7:44 PM
To: udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [udrc] UDRC port forwarding

 

In addition to the info at https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/Configuring-ircDDBgateway#Setup-Port-Forwarding

 

You will want to map a port for ssh and remote control. You pick the ports and configure accordingly. 

 

On Aug 4, 2017 16:36, "Bob Stille" <kc8mlb@...> wrote:

John,

 

I have set up the DR-1X repeater with the UDRC controller in our community.  I wish to access the controller over the internet.  The ISP is the local cable company and they want to know what ports need to be forwarded to access the UDRC/Raspberry Pi through their router.

 

Thanks,

Bob     KC8MLB

 

 


Loaded vnc, and now i have a white screen with a login, and none of my password work

Dave Taylor <n1fcc@...>
 

Any Ideas, Id hate to have to rebuild the pi

Thanks

Dave

n1fcc


Re: UDRC port forwarding

 

In addition to the info at https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/Configuring-ircDDBgateway#Setup-Port-Forwarding

You will want to map a port for ssh and remote control. You pick the ports and configure accordingly. 

On Aug 4, 2017 16:36, "Bob Stille" <kc8mlb@...> wrote:

John,

 

I have set up the DR-1X repeater with the UDRC controller in our community.  I wish to access the controller over the internet.  The ISP is the local cable company and they want to know what ports need to be forwarded to access the UDRC/Raspberry Pi through their router.

 

Thanks,

Bob     KC8MLB

 


UDRC port forwarding

Bob Stille
 

John,

 

I have set up the DR-1X repeater with the UDRC controller in our community.  I wish to access the controller over the internet.  The ISP is the local cable company and they want to know what ports need to be forwarded to access the UDRC/Raspberry Pi through their router.

 

Thanks,

Bob     KC8MLB

 


Re: Anyone taken the UDRC and connected it to a URI?

Konrad Roeder -- WA4OSH
 

Steve wrote --- Ah, not sure what you mean that they have not been able to talk to each other.

I don't see very many "reflectors" or conference bridges advertised to bridge for example D-Star with analog repeaters.  Maybe I'm not that observant.

--Konrad, WA4OSH

On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 3:03 AM, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:


On 08/03/2017 05:24 AM, Konrad Roeder -- WA4OSH wrote:
Steve,
I waited a bit before responding to you.  First of all, I don't want to brag or come off brash.  Just to let you know, I worked on the first full-duplex Land-Mobile trunking radios in the very early 1990's and have a very good understanding of Voice over IP.  I have been working all my life in the interface between radio transceivers and various forms of voice and data applications.  I understand RPi, Linux, RF, etc.  I'm involved with military communications currently in my professional life.

Yes, I of course I understand that AllStarLink (ASL) was *primarily intended* to connect directly to a radio through Asterisk, an open source VoIP PBX.  The real beauty here is the *full duplex* Asterisk VoIP core and being able to interface to radios through a USB-based interface, the URI.  Other boards have been built to provide simulcast interfaces for linking repeaters.  But things sometimes are such a great idea that they can grow beyond what they were initially intended to be.
Yes, ASL supports simulcast and receiver voting.

I also understand that you intend on building a channel driver so that the Asterisk VoIP PBX can talk to a massively superior interface directly from the Raspberry Pi's GPIO bus instead of being constrained by a USB interface.  I can see how it will give you direct control over the COR, the PTT and the CTCSS encode/decode. Please note that I have bought a UDRC-II and have used it in a number of experiments and see the huge potential for the Asterisk channel driver.   I think it deserves a complementary name to Asterisk ... Obelisk.  I'm patiently waiting.
Not sure what you are renaming. it will simply be chan_udrc

Besides the app_rpt, the AllStarLink applications and hopefully the UDRC-II interface, there are many other modules that can be used to interface Asterisk, including an ALSA interface and the SIP interface.

Yes, I understand the primary reason for the ALSA interface.  I have explored it in the last six months, looking at all sorts of ways of interfacing sound boards, audio filters, FFT's, etc. etc.  A lot of these require a GUI interface in order to make use of them.  This was my primary interest in bringing up a GUI.

I'm also very interested in the SIP interface, which essentially means that you can have a Cisco 79xx phone reflashed for SIP, or something like a Grandstream 701 phone adapter to a POTS phone connected to a vast ham radio / VoIP network.  The possibilities are really astounding.
We have been connecting sip phones to ASL for years. ASL also supports IOS and Android apps.

I want you to know that I fully understand the potential of a UDRC-II board interfaced with Asterisk can mean.  For example, An Asterisk VOIP PBX can host Analog, D-Star, DMR, Fusion, Single Sideband, etc. users all on one conference bridge or "reflector".  Asterisk also serves voicemail and phone trees (IVR) and connections to services that we have not invented yet.  Think of it as the central Rosetta stone that can join these dissimilar networks together.  The UDRC-II is far superior to the USB-based boards out there today due to its onboard DSP and the DAC/ADCs.  It's a great interface for digital radios, but it has not been put to the task of interfacing to a VoIP PBX yet.  I get it.

This has applications far beyond ham radio, especially when serving Part 90 and 95 communities.  They've never been able to talk with each other before.
Ah, not sure what you mean that they have not been able to talk to each other.

My two cents ...
--Konrad, WA4OSH

I await the totally awesome applications.

73, Steve N4IRS




On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 4:23 PM, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:
Konrad,
AllStarLink (ASL) is primarily intended to connect directly to a radio. Yes, there is support for telephone interconnects. Not unusual considering ASL is built on a open source PBX. No matter if it is a URI or a PCI radio card, they are intended to connect directly to a radio. ASL was not built nor intended to use ALSA applications. The guiding design principle behind ASL was high quality audio. We felt the introduction of those things would turn ASL into EchoLink or IRLP. We have leveraged one of the channel drivers, chan_USRP which does allow us to send and receive PCM via UDP. This is what we used to build the DMR and D-Star bridges. There is also a channel driver to connect ASL to Echolink.

We will build a native ASL channel driver for the UDRC. It will look like any other channel driver to ASL. To work as intended, the UDRC will connect to a radio and provide a connection to the discriminator, modulator, COS and PTT. Optionally, it will also provide a method of sensing CTCSS from the receiver internal decoder. The existing chan_usbradio channel driver encodes and decodes CTCSS and provides pre-emphasis and  de-eemphasis and some audio shaping. We hope to be able to do the same thing with the UDRC.

You can install a GUI like KDE or Gnome on top of a ASL install. But this was not what ASL was designed to do. It is intended as a light weight repeater controller / VOIP interconnect. The ALSA channel driver was intended to allow someone to use the mic and a speaker of the PC to make a telephone call. You will notice there is no PTT signaling. If you want a GUI like Gnome or KDE, you might reverse your thinking. Add ASL to a existing GUI desktop.

73, Steve N4IRS           

On 08/01/2017 04:11 PM, Konrad Roeder -- WA4OSH wrote:
Steve,
I have yet to setup an RPi3 using the stock DIAL distribution with the ALSA driver option.  I have not figured out how to run KDE or Gnome on that distribution.  Instead of driving a USB dongle, I should be able to drive an ALSA application like a sound mixer, tone generator and audio spectrum analyzer or an audio record/playback software.  I should be able to connect the two using a virtual audio cable.  I feel this would be the first steps in getting the UDRC-II board to run with AllStar.

--Konrad, WA4OSH

On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 9:37 AM, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:
Konrad,
Now would be a very good time to hear you comments on ALSA handling.

73, Steve

On 7/31/2017 12:26 PM, Konrad Roeder -- WA4OSH wrote:
I look forward to your UDRC based channel driver ... and perhaps an upgraded app_rpt so that it handles the ALSA interface better.







--
Best,
Konrad

Konrad Roeder
425-444-0595 Cell
425-256-2144 Home




--
Best,
Konrad

Konrad Roeder
425-444-0595 Cell
425-256-2144 Home




--
Best,
Konrad

Konrad Roeder
425-444-0595 Cell
425-256-2144 Home


Re: Anyone taken the UDRC and connected it to a URI?

Steve N4IRS
 



On 08/03/2017 05:24 AM, Konrad Roeder -- WA4OSH wrote:
Steve,
I waited a bit before responding to you.  First of all, I don't want to brag or come off brash.  Just to let you know, I worked on the first full-duplex Land-Mobile trunking radios in the very early 1990's and have a very good understanding of Voice over IP.  I have been working all my life in the interface between radio transceivers and various forms of voice and data applications.  I understand RPi, Linux, RF, etc.  I'm involved with military communications currently in my professional life.

Yes, I of course I understand that AllStarLink (ASL) was *primarily intended* to connect directly to a radio through Asterisk, an open source VoIP PBX.  The real beauty here is the *full duplex* Asterisk VoIP core and being able to interface to radios through a USB-based interface, the URI.  Other boards have been built to provide simulcast interfaces for linking repeaters.  But things sometimes are such a great idea that they can grow beyond what they were initially intended to be.
Yes, ASL supports simulcast and receiver voting.

I also understand that you intend on building a channel driver so that the Asterisk VoIP PBX can talk to a massively superior interface directly from the Raspberry Pi's GPIO bus instead of being constrained by a USB interface.  I can see how it will give you direct control over the COR, the PTT and the CTCSS encode/decode. Please note that I have bought a UDRC-II and have used it in a number of experiments and see the huge potential for the Asterisk channel driver.   I think it deserves a complementary name to Asterisk ... Obelisk.  I'm patiently waiting.
Not sure what you are renaming. it will simply be chan_udrc

Besides the app_rpt, the AllStarLink applications and hopefully the UDRC-II interface, there are many other modules that can be used to interface Asterisk, including an ALSA interface and the SIP interface.

Yes, I understand the primary reason for the ALSA interface.  I have explored it in the last six months, looking at all sorts of ways of interfacing sound boards, audio filters, FFT's, etc. etc.  A lot of these require a GUI interface in order to make use of them.  This was my primary interest in bringing up a GUI.

I'm also very interested in the SIP interface, which essentially means that you can have a Cisco 79xx phone reflashed for SIP, or something like a Grandstream 701 phone adapter to a POTS phone connected to a vast ham radio / VoIP network.  The possibilities are really astounding.
We have been connecting sip phones to ASL for years. ASL also supports IOS and Android apps.

I want you to know that I fully understand the potential of a UDRC-II board interfaced with Asterisk can mean.  For example, An Asterisk VOIP PBX can host Analog, D-Star, DMR, Fusion, Single Sideband, etc. users all on one conference bridge or "reflector".  Asterisk also serves voicemail and phone trees (IVR) and connections to services that we have not invented yet.  Think of it as the central Rosetta stone that can join these dissimilar networks together.  The UDRC-II is far superior to the USB-based boards out there today due to its onboard DSP and the DAC/ADCs.  It's a great interface for digital radios, but it has not been put to the task of interfacing to a VoIP PBX yet.  I get it.

This has applications far beyond ham radio, especially when serving Part 90 and 95 communities.  They've never been able to talk with each other before.
Ah, not sure what you mean that they have not been able to talk to each other.

My two cents ...
--Konrad, WA4OSH

I await the totally awesome applications.

73, Steve N4IRS



On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 4:23 PM, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:
Konrad,
AllStarLink (ASL) is primarily intended to connect directly to a radio. Yes, there is support for telephone interconnects. Not unusual considering ASL is built on a open source PBX. No matter if it is a URI or a PCI radio card, they are intended to connect directly to a radio. ASL was not built nor intended to use ALSA applications. The guiding design principle behind ASL was high quality audio. We felt the introduction of those things would turn ASL into EchoLink or IRLP. We have leveraged one of the channel drivers, chan_USRP which does allow us to send and receive PCM via UDP. This is what we used to build the DMR and D-Star bridges. There is also a channel driver to connect ASL to Echolink.

We will build a native ASL channel driver for the UDRC. It will look like any other channel driver to ASL. To work as intended, the UDRC will connect to a radio and provide a connection to the discriminator, modulator, COS and PTT. Optionally, it will also provide a method of sensing CTCSS from the receiver internal decoder. The existing chan_usbradio channel driver encodes and decodes CTCSS and provides pre-emphasis and  de-eemphasis and some audio shaping. We hope to be able to do the same thing with the UDRC.

You can install a GUI like KDE or Gnome on top of a ASL install. But this was not what ASL was designed to do. It is intended as a light weight repeater controller / VOIP interconnect. The ALSA channel driver was intended to allow someone to use the mic and a speaker of the PC to make a telephone call. You will notice there is no PTT signaling. If you want a GUI like Gnome or KDE, you might reverse your thinking. Add ASL to a existing GUI desktop.

73, Steve N4IRS           

On 08/01/2017 04:11 PM, Konrad Roeder -- WA4OSH wrote:
Steve,
I have yet to setup an RPi3 using the stock DIAL distribution with the ALSA driver option.  I have not figured out how to run KDE or Gnome on that distribution.  Instead of driving a USB dongle, I should be able to drive an ALSA application like a sound mixer, tone generator and audio spectrum analyzer or an audio record/playback software.  I should be able to connect the two using a virtual audio cable.  I feel this would be the first steps in getting the UDRC-II board to run with AllStar.

--Konrad, WA4OSH

On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 9:37 AM, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:
Konrad,
Now would be a very good time to hear you comments on ALSA handling.

73, Steve

On 7/31/2017 12:26 PM, Konrad Roeder -- WA4OSH wrote:
I look forward to your UDRC based channel driver ... and perhaps an upgraded app_rpt so that it handles the ALSA interface better.







--
Best,
Konrad

Konrad Roeder
425-444-0595 Cell
425-256-2144 Home




--
Best,
Konrad

Konrad Roeder
425-444-0595 Cell
425-256-2144 Home


Re: Anyone taken the UDRC and connected it to a URI?

Konrad Roeder -- WA4OSH
 

Steve,
I waited a bit before responding to you.  First of all, I don't want to brag or come off brash.  Just to let you know, I worked on the first full-duplex Land-Mobile trunking radios in the very early 1990's and have a very good understanding of Voice over IP.  I have been working all my life in the interface between radio transceivers and various forms of voice and data applications.  I understand RPi, Linux, RF, etc.  I'm involved with military communications currently in my professional life.

Yes, I of course I understand that AllStarLink (ASL) was *primarily intended* to connect directly to a radio through Asterisk, an open source VoIP PBX.  The real beauty here is the *full duplex* Asterisk VoIP core and being able to interface to radios through a USB-based interface, the URI.  Other boards have been built to provide simulcast interfaces for linking repeaters.  But things sometimes are such a great idea that they can grow beyond what they were initially intended to be.

I also understand that you intend on building a channel driver so that the Asterisk VoIP PBX can talk to a massively superior interface directly from the Raspberry Pi's GPIO bus instead of being constrained by a USB interface.  I can see how it will give you direct control over the COR, the PTT and the CTCSS encode/decode. Please note that I have bought a UDRC-II and have used it in a number of experiments and see the huge potential for the Asterisk channel driver.   I think it deserves a complementary name to Asterisk ... Obelisk.  I'm patiently waiting.

Besides the app_rpt, the AllStarLink applications and hopefully the UDRC-II interface, there are many other modules that can be used to interface Asterisk, including an ALSA interface and the SIP interface.

Yes, I understand the primary reason for the ALSA interface.  I have explored it in the last six months, looking at all sorts of ways of interfacing sound boards, audio filters, FFT's, etc. etc.  A lot of these require a GUI interface in order to make use of them.  This was my primary interest in bringing up a GUI.

I'm also very interested in the SIP interface, which essentially means that you can have a Cisco 79xx phone reflashed for SIP, or something like a Grandstream 701 phone adapter to a POTS phone connected to a vast ham radio / VoIP network.  The possibilities are really astounding.

I want you to know that I fully understand the potential of a UDRC-II board interfaced with Asterisk can mean.  For example, An Asterisk VOIP PBX can host Analog, D-Star, DMR, Fusion, Single Sideband, etc. users all on one conference bridge or "reflector".  Asterisk also serves voicemail and phone trees (IVR) and connections to services that we have not invented yet.  Think of it as the central Rosetta stone that can join these dissimilar networks together.  The UDRC-II is far superior to the USB-based boards out there today due to its onboard DSP and the DAC/ADCs.  It's a great interface for digital radios, but it has not been put to the task of interfacing to a VoIP PBX yet.  I get it.

This has applications far beyond ham radio, especially when serving Part 90 and 95 communities.  They've never been able to talk with each other before.

My two cents ...
--Konrad, WA4OSH



On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 4:23 PM, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:
Konrad,
AllStarLink (ASL) is primarily intended to connect directly to a radio. Yes, there is support for telephone interconnects. Not unusual considering ASL is built on a open source PBX. No matter if it is a URI or a PCI radio card, they are intended to connect directly to a radio. ASL was not built nor intended to use ALSA applications. The guiding design principle behind ASL was high quality audio. We felt the introduction of those things would turn ASL into EchoLink or IRLP. We have leveraged one of the channel drivers, chan_USRP which does allow us to send and receive PCM via UDP. This is what we used to build the DMR and D-Star bridges. There is also a channel driver to connect ASL to Echolink.

We will build a native ASL channel driver for the UDRC. It will look like any other channel driver to ASL. To work as intended, the UDRC will connect to a radio and provide a connection to the discriminator, modulator, COS and PTT. Optionally, it will also provide a method of sensing CTCSS from the receiver internal decoder. The existing chan_usbradio channel driver encodes and decodes CTCSS and provides pre-emphasis and  de-eemphasis and some audio shaping. We hope to be able to do the same thing with the UDRC.

You can install a GUI like KDE or Gnome on top of a ASL install. But this was not what ASL was designed to do. It is intended as a light weight repeater controller / VOIP interconnect. The ALSA channel driver was intended to allow someone to use the mic and a speaker of the PC to make a telephone call. You will notice there is no PTT signaling. If you want a GUI like Gnome or KDE, you might reverse your thinking. Add ASL to a existing GUI desktop.

73, Steve N4IRS           

On 08/01/2017 04:11 PM, Konrad Roeder -- WA4OSH wrote:
Steve,
I have yet to setup an RPi3 using the stock DIAL distribution with the ALSA driver option.  I have not figured out how to run KDE or Gnome on that distribution.  Instead of driving a USB dongle, I should be able to drive an ALSA application like a sound mixer, tone generator and audio spectrum analyzer or an audio record/playback software.  I should be able to connect the two using a virtual audio cable.  I feel this would be the first steps in getting the UDRC-II board to run with AllStar.

--Konrad, WA4OSH

On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 9:37 AM, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:
Konrad,
Now would be a very good time to hear you comments on ALSA handling.

73, Steve

On 7/31/2017 12:26 PM, Konrad Roeder -- WA4OSH wrote:
I look forward to your UDRC based channel driver ... and perhaps an upgraded app_rpt so that it handles the ALSA interface better.







--
Best,
Konrad

Konrad Roeder
425-444-0595 Cell
425-256-2144 Home




--
Best,
Konrad

Konrad Roeder
425-444-0595 Cell
425-256-2144 Home


Re: Anyone taken the UDRC and connected it to a URI?

Steve N4IRS
 

Konrad,
AllStarLink (ASL) is primarily intended to connect directly to a radio. Yes, there is support for telephone interconnects. Not unusual considering ASL is built on a open source PBX. No matter if it is a URI or a PCI radio card, they are intended to connect directly to a radio. ASL was not built nor intended to use ALSA applications. The guiding design principle behind ASL was high quality audio. We felt the introduction of those things would turn ASL into EchoLink or IRLP. We have leveraged one of the channel drivers, chan_USRP which does allow us to send and receive PCM via UDP. This is what we used to build the DMR and D-Star bridges. There is also a channel driver to connect ASL to Echolink.

We will build a native ASL channel driver for the UDRC. It will look like any other channel driver to ASL. To work as intended, the UDRC will connect to a radio and provide a connection to the discriminator, modulator, COS and PTT. Optionally, it will also provide a method of sensing CTCSS from the receiver internal decoder. The existing chan_usbradio channel driver encodes and decodes CTCSS and provides pre-emphasis and  de-eemphasis and some audio shaping. We hope to be able to do the same thing with the UDRC.

You can install a GUI like KDE or Gnome on top of a ASL install. But this was not what ASL was designed to do. It is intended as a light weight repeater controller / VOIP interconnect. The ALSA channel driver was intended to allow someone to use the mic and a speaker of the PC to make a telephone call. You will notice there is no PTT signaling. If you want a GUI like Gnome or KDE, you might reverse your thinking. Add ASL to a existing GUI desktop.

73, Steve N4IRS           

On 08/01/2017 04:11 PM, Konrad Roeder -- WA4OSH wrote:
Steve,
I have yet to setup an RPi3 using the stock DIAL distribution with the ALSA driver option.  I have not figured out how to run KDE or Gnome on that distribution.  Instead of driving a USB dongle, I should be able to drive an ALSA application like a sound mixer, tone generator and audio spectrum analyzer or an audio record/playback software.  I should be able to connect the two using a virtual audio cable.  I feel this would be the first steps in getting the UDRC-II board to run with AllStar.

--Konrad, WA4OSH

On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 9:37 AM, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:
Konrad,
Now would be a very good time to hear you comments on ALSA handling.

73, Steve

On 7/31/2017 12:26 PM, Konrad Roeder -- WA4OSH wrote:
I look forward to your UDRC based channel driver ... and perhaps an upgraded app_rpt so that it handles the ALSA interface better.







--
Best,
Konrad

Konrad Roeder
425-444-0595 Cell
425-256-2144 Home


Re: Anyone taken the UDRC and connected it to a URI?

Konrad Roeder -- WA4OSH
 

Steve,
I have yet to setup an RPi3 using the stock DIAL distribution with the ALSA driver option.  I have not figured out how to run KDE or Gnome on that distribution.  Instead of driving a USB dongle, I should be able to drive an ALSA application like a sound mixer, tone generator and audio spectrum analyzer or an audio record/playback software.  I should be able to connect the two using a virtual audio cable.  I feel this would be the first steps in getting the UDRC-II board to run with AllStar.

--Konrad, WA4OSH

On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 9:37 AM, Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:
Konrad,
Now would be a very good time to hear you comments on ALSA handling.

73, Steve

On 7/31/2017 12:26 PM, Konrad Roeder -- WA4OSH wrote:
I look forward to your UDRC based channel driver ... and perhaps an upgraded app_rpt so that it handles the ALSA interface better.







--
Best,
Konrad

Konrad Roeder
425-444-0595 Cell
425-256-2144 Home

4321 - 4340 of 5862