Date   

Re: SeaPac 2017 Workshop Attendees Received Wilderness (rather than Alder) Release

Herb Weiner
 

Anna,

Thank you. That works great. I have no urgency to do any update or upgrades now, and can certainly wait a few weeks. My concern was more to ensure that would not be locked into the current version long term. You have been very helpful.

Herb

On May 30, 2018, at 7:43 PM, Annaliese McDermond <nh6z@nh6z.net> wrote:

Herb --

I would hang out for a few weeks and refrain from doing any apt-get upgrade or apt-get update. I am going to be working on Cedar and will probably be able to walk you through getting a good load on your system without reformatting when I get that work done. In the mean time, you should have a stable system for the moment. It’s not really easy to go back to the Alder packages without quite a bit of work and some sketchiness that I’d rather you not go through. With Cedar you should be getting newer package versions of pretty much everything, so the package system shouldn’t get confused like if you were to try to regress in package versions. I realize this isn’t an entirely satisfactory answer, but it’s the best one I have for you at this point in time. Unfortunately I have a day job that takes a bit of my time, so doing these package releases has to happen on my “hobby” time. I’ll be at SeaPac this weekend and don’t intend on coding during that time. :)

--
Annaliese McDermond (NH6Z)
Xenotropic Systems
mcdermj@xenotropic.com

On May 29, 2018, at 6:08 PM, Herb Weiner <herbw@wiskit.com> wrote:

I just checked /etc/apt/sources.list.d/compass.list (Apr 23 2017) from a never used 16 GB SD card that I received at SeaPac last year, and it is configured to use wilderness (rather than Alder):

deb [arch=armhf,amd64] http://archive.compasslinux.org/ wilderness main

The implications of this are very scary... it means that every time we do an apt-get upgrade, we are getting "experimental" builds -- the vary latest untested nightly builds. No wonder I had problems after doing an upgrade.

What is the best way to switch to the Alder (tested) release? Can I change this configuration file to request alder? Is there any way to force alder to replace wilderness? Or, do I need to download a brand new compass and start from scratch?

Herb







Re: SeaPac 2017 Workshop Attendees Received Wilderness (rather than Alder) Release

Annaliese McDermond
 

Herb --

I would hang out for a few weeks and refrain from doing any apt-get upgrade or apt-get update. I am going to be working on Cedar and will probably be able to walk you through getting a good load on your system without reformatting when I get that work done. In the mean time, you should have a stable system for the moment. It’s not really easy to go back to the Alder packages without quite a bit of work and some sketchiness that I’d rather you not go through. With Cedar you should be getting newer package versions of pretty much everything, so the package system shouldn’t get confused like if you were to try to regress in package versions. I realize this isn’t an entirely satisfactory answer, but it’s the best one I have for you at this point in time. Unfortunately I have a day job that takes a bit of my time, so doing these package releases has to happen on my “hobby” time. I’ll be at SeaPac this weekend and don’t intend on coding during that time. :)

--
Annaliese McDermond (NH6Z)
Xenotropic Systems
mcdermj@xenotropic.com

On May 29, 2018, at 6:08 PM, Herb Weiner <herbw@wiskit.com> wrote:

I just checked /etc/apt/sources.list.d/compass.list (Apr 23 2017) from a never used 16 GB SD card that I received at SeaPac last year, and it is configured to use wilderness (rather than Alder):

deb [arch=armhf,amd64] http://archive.compasslinux.org/ wilderness main

The implications of this are very scary... it means that every time we do an apt-get upgrade, we are getting "experimental" builds -- the vary latest untested nightly builds. No wonder I had problems after doing an upgrade.

What is the best way to switch to the Alder (tested) release? Can I change this configuration file to request alder? Is there any way to force alder to replace wilderness? Or, do I need to download a brand new compass and start from scratch?

Herb


Is there any way to switch my Compass kernel from Wilderness to Alder?

Herb Weiner
 

After doing an apt-get upgrade recently, I was no longer able to access my UDRC. It turns out that I am running thw Wilderness version of Compass, which is "considered to be unstable and subject to breakage at any point in time." Thanks to the help I received in this forum, I was able to recover from the problem. (See https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/topic/can_not_access_udrc_after/20402592 .)

Upon further investigation, I discovered that although I never intended or realized that I was running an experimental version of Compass, the Wilderness version of Compass, rather than the stable Alder version, was provided to all attendees of the 2017 SeaPac workshop. (See https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/topic/seapac_2017_workshop/20411522 .) I was simply lucky that none of my earlier upgrades disrupted access to my UDRC.

So, my question is, is there any way to switch from Wilderness to Alder? For example, if I change /etc/apt/sources.list.d/compass.list from wilderness main to alder main, will my next upgrade come from the Alder branch and replace Wilderness? Or, is there some other way to switch from Wilderness to Alder? I sure hope it's not necessary to download a brand new Compass image and start from scratch.

Herb


Re: RPI3 Wifi BT

Tim Huffaker
 

I think I’m going to reform then SD then reload compass and try again.  

Tim 
KM4ESU 


Re: RPI3 Wifi BT

Basil Gunn
 

When I run wpa_cli -i wlan0 reconfigure.

it comes back with Could not connect to spa_supplicant: reconfigure - re-trying

Noting seems to get the WiFI going. Does anybody know if compass is
the issue?
I don't think it's a compass issue. I run WiFi from a couple of my RPi's
running compass.

Are you running headless ie. without a screen & window manager? Or do
you have a display & keyboard attached to the RPi? If you are running
the desktop & screen as I previously said, I only used the widget
that comes with the window manager on the top bar right hand side.

On the Raspberry Pi forum: Raspberry Pi 3 WiFi Setup
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=138137

Question:
How do i setup the wifi on RPi 3

Answer:
It should 'just work'.
Click on the wireless icon top right on desktop, should give a list of
access points, log in.

If that doesn't work then I will need more information.

git clone https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix
cd n7nix/systemd/bin
./piver.sh
./sysver.sh

/Basil n7nix


Re: RPI3 Wifi BT

Tim Huffaker
 

When I run wpa_cli -i wlan0 reconfigure.

it comes back with Could not connect to spa_supplicant: reconfigure - re-trying

Noting seems to get the WiFI going.  Does anybody know if compass is the issue?


Re: RPI3 Wifi BT

Tim Huffaker
 

My wifi says wlan0 says not associated.  The WiFi worked with a Jessie image I was running.  I also noticed the Bluetooth was poor with a keyboard.  I do plan on using the UART for gps so I will have to add a usb Bluetooth. 

Can the wifi be turned on in the GUI. 

Tim
KM4ESU 


Re: RPI3 Wifi BT

Basil Gunn
 

I installed compass on a new RPI3 to prepare for a UDRC II
board. During the setup I noticed you it was suggested to turn off BT
and I also noticed the wifi did not work. After looking to see how to
turn on the WiFi all suggestions for the RPI3 failed. I hope I am
missing something but I would like to use WiFi. Why would Bluetooth
need to be turned off.
To enable the WiFi client when using a desktop window manager I didn't
do anything other than click on the Network icon on the top bar right
side & pick an access point. After I put in the pass phrase it
associated right away.

I noticed that when I used both WiFi and the internal bluetooth controller
for a keyboard I would get annoying repeating keys after a while. This
occurred with three different keyboards (Apple, Logitech, Arteck). I
solved this by plugging in an external USB blue tooth adapter to the RPi 3.

/Basil


SeaPac 2017 Workshop Attendees Received Wilderness (rather than Alder) Release

Herb Weiner
 

I just checked /etc/apt/sources.list.d/compass.list (Apr 23  2017) from a never used 16 GB SD card that I received at SeaPac last year, and it is configured to use wilderness (rather than Alder):

deb [arch=armhf,amd64] http://archive.compasslinux.org/ wilderness main

The implications of this are very scary... it means that every time we do an apt-get upgrade, we are getting "experimental" builds -- the vary latest untested nightly builds. No wonder I had problems after doing an upgrade.

What is the best way to switch to the Alder (tested) release? Can I change this configuration file to request alder? Is there any way to force alder to replace wilderness? Or, do I need to download a brand new compass and start from scratch?

Herb


Re: Can not access UDRC after updating software

Herb Weiner
 

Thanks all. Based upon my most recent (very scary) discovery. I am starting a new thread.

Herb

On May 29, 2018, at 12:49 PM, Herb Weiner <herbw@...> wrote:

Anna,

Thanks for the info. It looks like I have Wilderness, although I'm not sure how I got this. If there's no easy way to get back to Alder, I should probably build a new SD card.

pi@compass:~ $ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/compass.list
deb [arch=armhf,amd64] http://archive.compasslinux.org/ wilderness main
pi@compass:~ $ 

Herb

On May 29, 2018, at 10:41 AM, Annaliese McDermond <nh6z@...> wrote:



On May 29, 2018, at 10:10 AM, Herb Weiner <herbw@...> wrote:

Anna,

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Adding that missing line to config.txt and rebooting resolved the problem, and I can now see the UDRC with aplay -l and access the UDRC with alsamixer.

So now, the only remaining questions are:

  • Is there any known explanation for why my /boot/config.txt was missing the dtoverlay= line, or should I just accept that computers do funny stuff like this all the time?
Because it wasn’t necessary in the past.  To fix some other problems, we upgraded the alder kernel to 4.9.x rather than the previous 4.4.x line.  This was partially to keep up with what Raspbian is doing and make things work well together.  Unfortunately, the Device Tree Overaly, which tells the kernel what hardware is out there and where it lives on a hat like the udrc, was incorrect for the new kernel revision.  I made a new overlay, but the Pi has to be told to include it.  That’s what the config.txt changes are designed to do.  At some point we hope to have a field upgrader for the flash chip on the UDRC that should fix the error.  We need to make it pretty reliable and foolproof, though, otherwise we just cause more issues.
  • Should I be concerned that /etc/apt.d/sources.list.d/compass.list does not exist?
No.  I’m not in front of my Pi right now as I’m at $day_job, so I was going from memory on where we put the compass repository definition.
  • How can I determine whether I'm on the "alder" release?
It’s going to be in either /etc/apt/sources.list or in a file contained in /etc/apt/sources.list.d.  It’ll be a line that refers to archive.compasslinux.org.

Compass releases are named after trees in alphabetical order.  Alder was our first release, Birch was a failed release that was never ready for prime time, and we hope to come out with “cedar” soon.  The next will probably be “dogwood” but that’s a ways off.

Wilderness is our “experimental” builds.  That version is built on the very latest code nightly and packaged together into the images.  It’s a completely automated process and it isn’t tested in any way, so that version blows up occasionally when I need to do something to it.  People are more than welcome to use it with the understanding that I may blow up your whole Pi with a change I make at any point in time and I generally don’t react well to crying regarding that breakage.  The tree releases are considered to be stable and we try not to break those at all, and we certainly want to know if we do.

Herb

— Anna




RPI3 Wifi BT

Tim Huffaker
 

I installed compass on a new RPI3 to prepare for a UDRC II board.  During the setup I noticed you it was suggested to turn off BT and I also noticed the wifi did not work.  After looking to see how to turn on the WiFi all suggestions for the RPI3 failed.  I hope I am missing something but I would like to use WiFi.  Why would Bluetooth need to be turned off.  

Thank you,
Tim KM4ESU


Re: Can not access UDRC after updating software

Herb Weiner
 

Anna,

Thanks for the info. It looks like I have Wilderness, although I'm not sure how I got this. If there's no easy way to get back to Alder, I should probably build a new SD card.

pi@compass:~ $ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/compass.list
deb [arch=armhf,amd64] http://archive.compasslinux.org/ wilderness main
pi@compass:~ $ 

Herb

On May 29, 2018, at 10:41 AM, Annaliese McDermond <nh6z@...> wrote:



On May 29, 2018, at 10:10 AM, Herb Weiner <herbw@...> wrote:

Anna,

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Adding that missing line to config.txt and rebooting resolved the problem, and I can now see the UDRC with aplay -l and access the UDRC with alsamixer.

So now, the only remaining questions are:

  • Is there any known explanation for why my /boot/config.txt was missing the dtoverlay= line, or should I just accept that computers do funny stuff like this all the time?
Because it wasn’t necessary in the past.  To fix some other problems, we upgraded the alder kernel to 4.9.x rather than the previous 4.4.x line.  This was partially to keep up with what Raspbian is doing and make things work well together.  Unfortunately, the Device Tree Overaly, which tells the kernel what hardware is out there and where it lives on a hat like the udrc, was incorrect for the new kernel revision.  I made a new overlay, but the Pi has to be told to include it.  That’s what the config.txt changes are designed to do.  At some point we hope to have a field upgrader for the flash chip on the UDRC that should fix the error.  We need to make it pretty reliable and foolproof, though, otherwise we just cause more issues.
  • Should I be concerned that /etc/apt.d/sources.list.d/compass.list does not exist?
No.  I’m not in front of my Pi right now as I’m at $day_job, so I was going from memory on where we put the compass repository definition.
  • How can I determine whether I'm on the "alder" release?
It’s going to be in either /etc/apt/sources.list or in a file contained in /etc/apt/sources.list.d.  It’ll be a line that refers to archive.compasslinux.org.

Compass releases are named after trees in alphabetical order.  Alder was our first release, Birch was a failed release that was never ready for prime time, and we hope to come out with “cedar” soon.  The next will probably be “dogwood” but that’s a ways off.

Wilderness is our “experimental” builds.  That version is built on the very latest code nightly and packaged together into the images.  It’s a completely automated process and it isn’t tested in any way, so that version blows up occasionally when I need to do something to it.  People are more than welcome to use it with the understanding that I may blow up your whole Pi with a change I make at any point in time and I generally don’t react well to crying regarding that breakage.  The tree releases are considered to be stable and we try not to break those at all, and we certainly want to know if we do.

Herb

— Anna



Re: Can not access UDRC after updating software

Annaliese McDermond
 



On May 29, 2018, at 10:10 AM, Herb Weiner <herbw@...> wrote:

Anna,

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Adding that missing line to config.txt and rebooting resolved the problem, and I can now see the UDRC with aplay -l and access the UDRC with alsamixer.

So now, the only remaining questions are:

  • Is there any known explanation for why my /boot/config.txt was missing the dtoverlay= line, or should I just accept that computers do funny stuff like this all the time?
Because it wasn’t necessary in the past.  To fix some other problems, we upgraded the alder kernel to 4.9.x rather than the previous 4.4.x line.  This was partially to keep up with what Raspbian is doing and make things work well together.  Unfortunately, the Device Tree Overaly, which tells the kernel what hardware is out there and where it lives on a hat like the udrc, was incorrect for the new kernel revision.  I made a new overlay, but the Pi has to be told to include it.  That’s what the config.txt changes are designed to do.  At some point we hope to have a field upgrader for the flash chip on the UDRC that should fix the error.  We need to make it pretty reliable and foolproof, though, otherwise we just cause more issues.
  • Should I be concerned that /etc/apt.d/sources.list.d/compass.list does not exist?
No.  I’m not in front of my Pi right now as I’m at $day_job, so I was going from memory on where we put the compass repository definition.
  • How can I determine whether I'm on the "alder" release?
It’s going to be in either /etc/apt/sources.list or in a file contained in /etc/apt/sources.list.d.  It’ll be a line that refers to archive.compasslinux.org.

Compass releases are named after trees in alphabetical order.  Alder was our first release, Birch was a failed release that was never ready for prime time, and we hope to come out with “cedar” soon.  The next will probably be “dogwood” but that’s a ways off.

Wilderness is our “experimental” builds.  That version is built on the very latest code nightly and packaged together into the images.  It’s a completely automated process and it isn’t tested in any way, so that version blows up occasionally when I need to do something to it.  People are more than welcome to use it with the understanding that I may blow up your whole Pi with a change I make at any point in time and I generally don’t react well to crying regarding that breakage.  The tree releases are considered to be stable and we try not to break those at all, and we certainly want to know if we do.

Herb

— Anna


Re: Can not access UDRC after updating software

Herb Weiner
 

Anna,

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Adding that missing line to config.txt and rebooting resolved the problem, and I can now see the UDRC with aplay -l and access the UDRC with alsamixer.

So now, the only remaining questions are:

  • Is there any known explanation for why my /boot/config.txt was missing the dtoverlay= line, or should I just accept that computers do funny stuff like this all the time?
  • Should I be concerned that /etc/apt.d/sources.list.d/compass.list does not exist?
  • How can I determine whether I'm on the "alder" release?

Herb

On May 29, 2018, at 9:50 AM, Jeremy McDermond <mcdermj@...> wrote:



On May 29, 2018, at 9:44 AM, Herb Weiner <herbw@...> wrote:

Anna,

First, thanks for all your help, and apologies for the name confusion.

No problem.  These things happen.


Perhaps I have a combination of incompatible components, since my Linux appears to be 4.9.80-v7+ although my Raspberry Pi bootloader is 1.20180525-1compass

pi@compass:~ $ cat /proc/version
Linux version 4.9.80-v7+ (jenkins@jenkins) (gcc version 5.4.0 20160609 (Ubuntu/Linaro 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.9) ) #1 SMP Fri May 25 08:05:14 PDT 2018
pi@compass:~ $ 

The kernel package version is different than the kernel version.  Confusing, I know, but because of the package versioning rules and what gets installed, it pretty much has to be done that way.

I think I see your problem here.  The bottom of your config.txt looks like this right now:


# Enable audio (loads snd_bcm2835)
dtparam=audio=on

force_turbo=1
dtoverlay=udrc

It should look like this

dtoverlay=
# Enable audio (loads snd_bcm2835)
dtparam=audio=on

force_turbo=1
dtoverlay=udrc 

Note the line that reads “dtoverlay=“.  It is correct that it has nothing for the right hand side of the setting.  This ignore the device tree that is in the flash memory on the UDRC and uses whatever comes after instead.

— Anna


Herb

On May 29, 2018, at 8:30 AM, Jeremy McDermond <mcdermj@...> wrote:


On May 29, 2018, at 6:51 AM, Herb Weiner <herbw@...> wrote:

Jeremy,

It’s actually Anna or Annaliese now.  Thanks!

Thank you for your reply. Although I don't yet know if or how I can fix it, at least I'm beginning to get a better understanding of what I have.

pi@compass:~ $ dpkg -l raspberrypi-kernel
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                          Version             Architecture        Description
+++-=============================-===================-===================-=============================
ii  raspberrypi-kernel            1.20180525-1compass armhf               Raspberry Pi bootloader
pi@compass:~ $ 

So, the Raspberry Pi bootloader is compass.

This means that your installed package for the Linux kernel is from Compass and not from the Pi Foundation.  If it were from the Pi Foundation it wouldn’t include the -1compass at the end

Just out of curiosity, I tried:

pi@compass:~ $ sudo apt-get install udrc-dkms
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package udrc-dkms
pi@compass:~ $ 

So, this explains why apt search udrc did not list udrc-dkms.

Right.  You appear not to be on wilderness, which is probably good.

II was not aware that apt-get upgrade would install unstable software. What I intended to do was to install the most up to date stable software. Is there something i should have done instead?

If you’re on the “alder” release, we endeavor to make sure that the apt-get update && apt-get upgrade process works correctly.  On Wilderness, anything goes.  You can tell the difference by looking in /etc/apt.d/sources.list.d/compass.list and seeing which of those words are in there.

In the mean time, it appears as though you have the drivers, they’re just not loading.  Can you post your config.txt and we may be able to see what’s up in there?

Herb

— Anna._,_._,_





Re: Can not access UDRC after updating software

Jeremy McDermond <mcdermj@...>
 



On May 29, 2018, at 9:44 AM, Herb Weiner <herbw@...> wrote:

Anna,

First, thanks for all your help, and apologies for the name confusion.

No problem.  These things happen.


Perhaps I have a combination of incompatible components, since my Linux appears to be 4.9.80-v7+ although my Raspberry Pi bootloader is 1.20180525-1compass

pi@compass:~ $ cat /proc/version
Linux version 4.9.80-v7+ (jenkins@jenkins) (gcc version 5.4.0 20160609 (Ubuntu/Linaro 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.9) ) #1 SMP Fri May 25 08:05:14 PDT 2018
pi@compass:~ $ 

The kernel package version is different than the kernel version.  Confusing, I know, but because of the package versioning rules and what gets installed, it pretty much has to be done that way.

I think I see your problem here.  The bottom of your config.txt looks like this right now:


# Enable audio (loads snd_bcm2835)
dtparam=audio=on

force_turbo=1
dtoverlay=udrc

It should look like this

dtoverlay=
# Enable audio (loads snd_bcm2835)
dtparam=audio=on

force_turbo=1
dtoverlay=udrc 

Note the line that reads “dtoverlay=“.  It is correct that it has nothing for the right hand side of the setting.  This ignore the device tree that is in the flash memory on the UDRC and uses whatever comes after instead.

— Anna


Herb

On May 29, 2018, at 8:30 AM, Jeremy McDermond <mcdermj@...> wrote:


On May 29, 2018, at 6:51 AM, Herb Weiner <herbw@...> wrote:

Jeremy,

It’s actually Anna or Annaliese now.  Thanks!

Thank you for your reply. Although I don't yet know if or how I can fix it, at least I'm beginning to get a better understanding of what I have.

pi@compass:~ $ dpkg -l raspberrypi-kernel
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                          Version             Architecture        Description
+++-=============================-===================-===================-=============================
ii  raspberrypi-kernel            1.20180525-1compass armhf               Raspberry Pi bootloader
pi@compass:~ $ 

So, the Raspberry Pi bootloader is compass.

This means that your installed package for the Linux kernel is from Compass and not from the Pi Foundation.  If it were from the Pi Foundation it wouldn’t include the -1compass at the end

Just out of curiosity, I tried:

pi@compass:~ $ sudo apt-get install udrc-dkms
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package udrc-dkms
pi@compass:~ $ 

So, this explains why apt search udrc did not list udrc-dkms.

Right.  You appear not to be on wilderness, which is probably good.

II was not aware that apt-get upgrade would install unstable software. What I intended to do was to install the most up to date stable software. Is there something i should have done instead?

If you’re on the “alder” release, we endeavor to make sure that the apt-get update && apt-get upgrade process works correctly.  On Wilderness, anything goes.  You can tell the difference by looking in /etc/apt.d/sources.list.d/compass.list and seeing which of those words are in there.

In the mean time, it appears as though you have the drivers, they’re just not loading.  Can you post your config.txt and we may be able to see what’s up in there?

Herb

— Anna._,_._,_




Re: Can not access UDRC after updating software

Herb Weiner
 

Gayland,

Thanks for trying. Learning is part of life.

Herb

On May 29, 2018, at 8:34 AM, Gayland Gump <kg7gcf@...> wrote:

live and learn

Gayland
KG7GCF

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 8:31 AM, Jeremy McDermond <mcdermj@...> wrote:


> On May 29, 2018, at 7:27 AM, Gayland Gump <kg7gcf@...> wrote:
>
> Herb the command below will tell you if you have compass installed.  This is from one of my pis.
>
> pi@compass:~ $ uname -a
> Linux compass 4.9.35-v7+ #1 SMP Fri Feb 23 11:35:30 PST 2018 armv7l GNU/Linux

Actually, this doesn’t tell you at all if you have compass installed.  The second field is the hostname of the machine.  If you change it using /etc/hostname, it’ll end up being whatever you want.  The kernel version could be from anywhere, so that doesn’t help me much either.  The best way to figure out whether you have the compass kernel is by using dpkg -l.

> Gayland
> KG7GCF

— Anna







Re: Can not access UDRC after updating software

Herb Weiner
 

Anna,

First, thanks for all your help, and apologies for the name confusion.

Perhaps I have a combination of incompatible components, since my Linux appears to be 4.9.80-v7+ although my Raspberry Pi bootloader is 1.20180525-1compass

pi@compass:~ $ cat /proc/version
Linux version 4.9.80-v7+ (jenkins@jenkins) (gcc version 5.4.0 20160609 (Ubuntu/Linaro 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.9) ) #1 SMP Fri May 25 08:05:14 PDT 2018
pi@compass:~ $ 

It appears as if /etc/apt.d/sources.list.d/compass.list does not exist

pi@compass:~ $ cat /etc/apt.d/sources.list.d/compass.list 
cat: /etc/apt.d/sources.list.d/compass.list: No such file or directory
pi@compass:~ $ 

Here's my config.txt:

pi@compass:~ $ cat  /boot/config.txt
# For more options and information see
# Some settings may impact device functionality. See link above for details

# uncomment if you get no picture on HDMI for a default "safe" mode
#hdmi_safe=1

# uncomment this if your display has a black border of unused pixels visible
# and your display can output without overscan
#disable_overscan=1

# uncomment the following to adjust overscan. Use positive numbers if console
# goes off screen, and negative if there is too much border
#overscan_left=16
#overscan_right=16
#overscan_top=16
#overscan_bottom=16

# uncomment to force a console size. By default it will be display's size minus
# overscan.
#framebuffer_width=1280
#framebuffer_height=720

# uncomment if hdmi display is not detected and composite is being output
#hdmi_force_hotplug=1

# uncomment to force a specific HDMI mode (this will force VGA)
#hdmi_group=1
#hdmi_mode=1

# uncomment to force a HDMI mode rather than DVI. This can make audio work in
# DMT (computer monitor) modes
#hdmi_drive=2

# uncomment to increase signal to HDMI, if you have interference, blanking, or
# no display
#config_hdmi_boost=4

# uncomment for composite PAL
#sdtv_mode=2

#uncomment to overclock the arm. 700 MHz is the default.
#arm_freq=800

# Uncomment some or all of these to enable the optional hardware interfaces
#dtparam=i2c_arm=on
#dtparam=i2s=on
#dtparam=spi=on

# Uncomment this to enable the lirc-rpi module
#dtoverlay=lirc-rpi

# Additional overlays and parameters are documented /boot/overlays/README

# Enable audio (loads snd_bcm2835)
dtparam=audio=on

force_turbo=1
dtoverlay=udrc
pi@compass:~ $ 

Herb

On May 29, 2018, at 8:30 AM, Jeremy McDermond <mcdermj@...> wrote:


On May 29, 2018, at 6:51 AM, Herb Weiner <herbw@...> wrote:

Jeremy,

It’s actually Anna or Annaliese now.  Thanks!

Thank you for your reply. Although I don't yet know if or how I can fix it, at least I'm beginning to get a better understanding of what I have.

pi@compass:~ $ dpkg -l raspberrypi-kernel
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                          Version             Architecture        Description
+++-=============================-===================-===================-=============================
ii  raspberrypi-kernel            1.20180525-1compass armhf               Raspberry Pi bootloader
pi@compass:~ $ 

So, the Raspberry Pi bootloader is compass.

This means that your installed package for the Linux kernel is from Compass and not from the Pi Foundation.  If it were from the Pi Foundation it wouldn’t include the -1compass at the end

Just out of curiosity, I tried:

pi@compass:~ $ sudo apt-get install udrc-dkms
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package udrc-dkms
pi@compass:~ $ 

So, this explains why apt search udrc did not list udrc-dkms.

Right.  You appear not to be on wilderness, which is probably good.

II was not aware that apt-get upgrade would install unstable software. What I intended to do was to install the most up to date stable software. Is there something i should have done instead?

If you’re on the “alder” release, we endeavor to make sure that the apt-get update && apt-get upgrade process works correctly.  On Wilderness, anything goes.  You can tell the difference by looking in /etc/apt.d/sources.list.d/compass.list and seeing which of those words are in there.

In the mean time, it appears as though you have the drivers, they’re just not loading.  Can you post your config.txt and we may be able to see what’s up in there?

Herb

— Anna._,_._,_



Re: Can not access UDRC after updating software

Gayland Gump
 

live and learn

Gayland
KG7GCF

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 8:31 AM, Jeremy McDermond <mcdermj@...> wrote:


> On May 29, 2018, at 7:27 AM, Gayland Gump <kg7gcf@...> wrote:
>
> Herb the command below will tell you if you have compass installed.  This is from one of my pis.
>
> pi@compass:~ $ uname -a
> Linux compass 4.9.35-v7+ #1 SMP Fri Feb 23 11:35:30 PST 2018 armv7l GNU/Linux

Actually, this doesn’t tell you at all if you have compass installed.  The second field is the hostname of the machine.  If you change it using /etc/hostname, it’ll end up being whatever you want.  The kernel version could be from anywhere, so that doesn’t help me much either.  The best way to figure out whether you have the compass kernel is by using dpkg -l.

> Gayland
> KG7GCF

— Anna






Re: Can not access UDRC after updating software

Jeremy McDermond <mcdermj@...>
 

On May 29, 2018, at 7:27 AM, Gayland Gump <kg7gcf@gmail.com> wrote:

Herb the command below will tell you if you have compass installed. This is from one of my pis.

pi@compass:~ $ uname -a
Linux compass 4.9.35-v7+ #1 SMP Fri Feb 23 11:35:30 PST 2018 armv7l GNU/Linux
Actually, this doesn’t tell you at all if you have compass installed. The second field is the hostname of the machine. If you change it using /etc/hostname, it’ll end up being whatever you want. The kernel version could be from anywhere, so that doesn’t help me much either. The best way to figure out whether you have the compass kernel is by using dpkg -l.

Gayland
KG7GCF
— Anna


Re: Can not access UDRC after updating software

Jeremy McDermond <mcdermj@...>
 


On May 29, 2018, at 6:51 AM, Herb Weiner <herbw@...> wrote:

Jeremy,

It’s actually Anna or Annaliese now.  Thanks!

Thank you for your reply. Although I don't yet know if or how I can fix it, at least I'm beginning to get a better understanding of what I have.

pi@compass:~ $ dpkg -l raspberrypi-kernel
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                          Version             Architecture        Description
+++-=============================-===================-===================-=============================
ii  raspberrypi-kernel            1.20180525-1compass armhf               Raspberry Pi bootloader
pi@compass:~ $ 

So, the Raspberry Pi bootloader is compass.

This means that your installed package for the Linux kernel is from Compass and not from the Pi Foundation.  If it were from the Pi Foundation it wouldn’t include the -1compass at the end

Just out of curiosity, I tried:

pi@compass:~ $ sudo apt-get install udrc-dkms
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package udrc-dkms
pi@compass:~ $ 

So, this explains why apt search udrc did not list udrc-dkms.

Right.  You appear not to be on wilderness, which is probably good.

II was not aware that apt-get upgrade would install unstable software. What I intended to do was to install the most up to date stable software. Is there something i should have done instead?

If you’re on the “alder” release, we endeavor to make sure that the apt-get update && apt-get upgrade process works correctly.  On Wilderness, anything goes.  You can tell the difference by looking in /etc/apt.d/sources.list.d/compass.list and seeing which of those words are in there.

In the mean time, it appears as though you have the drivers, they’re just not loading.  Can you post your config.txt and we may be able to see what’s up in there?

Herb

— Anna._,_._,_

4141 - 4160 of 5981