Date   

Re: Draws/udrc2

W2TLJ <tjoneson@...>
 

I guess the question I should have asked was can a DRAWS be used to replace a failed UDRC2 on a DR1X


On Tue, Aug 20, 2019, 09:36 John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
No.

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019, 01:44 W2TLJ <tjoneson@...> wrote:
Is #DRAWS a drop in replacement for the UDRC2 used with a DR1X?

Tom Joneson w2tlj


Re: #draws Not Booting #draws

Allen Lee <alee@...>
 

The DRAWS should supply voltage to the pi if your supplying 12v to the DRAWS unit input power. Dont power Pi separately


On 8/21/2019 9:58 AM, Bryan Hoyer wrote:
Make sure it’s on the header correctly and check the 5V Pin on the Pi Header

On Aug 21, 2019, at 5:15 AM, stuartliss@... wrote:

I connected the Draws to my 12v battery box and nothing happens.  It boots normally, when I supply power to the Pi.

Are there troubleshooting instructions?

Thanks,

Stuart, K2YYY


Re: #draws Not Booting #draws

 

Make sure it’s on the header correctly and check the 5V Pin on the Pi Header

On Aug 21, 2019, at 5:15 AM, stuartliss@... wrote:

I connected the Draws to my 12v battery box and nothing happens.  It boots normally, when I supply power to the Pi.

Are there troubleshooting instructions?

Thanks,

Stuart, K2YYY


#draws Not Booting #draws

Stuart, K2YYY
 

I connected the Draws to my 12v battery box and nothing happens.  It boots normally, when I supply power to the Pi.

Are there troubleshooting instructions?

Thanks,

Stuart, K2YYY


Re: [udrc] UDRC-II squelch on the Yaesu FT-897D → Does DRAWS require this?

 

Squelch in the Radio is for analog modes so we don’t annoy the humans. The SW Modem isn’t annoyed so I turn squelch off in the radio.

On Aug 20, 2019, at 1:46 PM, Stuart Longland VK4MSL <@VK4MSL> wrote:

On 20/8/19 11:27 pm, Bryan Hoyer wrote:
Removing the SQL Pin seems like the best way to deal with the Yaesu Radios
How do I read the state of the SQL pin if it's open-circuit?

--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.



Re: [udrc] UDRC-II squelch on the Yaesu FT-897D → Does DRAWS require this?

Stuart Longland VK4MSL
 

On 20/8/19 11:27 pm, Bryan Hoyer wrote:
Removing the SQL Pin seems like the best way to deal with the Yaesu Radios
How do I read the state of the SQL pin if it's open-circuit?

--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.


Re: Draws/udrc2

 

No.


On Tue, Aug 20, 2019, 01:44 W2TLJ <tjoneson@...> wrote:
Is #DRAWS a drop in replacement for the UDRC2 used with a DR1X?

Tom Joneson w2tlj


Re: [udrc] UDRC-II squelch on the Yaesu FT-897D → Does DRAWS require this?

 

Removing the SQL Pin seems like the best way to deal with the Yaesu Radios

Bryan

On Aug 20, 2019, at 4:35 AM, Stuart Longland VK4MSL <@VK4MSL> wrote:

On 15/11/16 12:33 am, Bryan Hoyer wrote:
The Active Low SQL pin drives a 4.7kOhm resistor to the base of a transistor.

Some radios may require a pull-up resistor to any convenient voltage 3-12V. I’d go with a 4.7k to 3.3V up to 10k at 12V.
Hi all,

The DRAWS board arrived yesterday evening, and today I picked up a new
Raspberry Pi 3 to connect it… so far things seem to be working but I'm
yet to hook up a radio.

Now, with the predecessor board (which has seen some use as a packet
radio station), I had to make a small modification to get audio on the
FT-897/857…

https://stuartl.longlandclan.id.au/blog/2016/11/20/getting-the-udrc-ii-to-play-nice-with-the-yaesu-ft-897d/

I've also used this same board with an Yaesu FTM-350AR and a Icom 706 MkIIG.

For the DRAWS, I intend to use it on my bicycle, which runs a FT-857D.
The plan is I'll set up two transceivers: a Wouxun KG-UVD1P I have
laying around set on 145.175MHz for APRS; and use the other port going
to the data jack on the FT-857D. I'll use the DRAWS auxiliary port to
control the CAT interface.

With the Pi acting as a WiFi access point, I should be able to use a
Mumble VoIP server to allow my mobile phone to connect and act as a
"cross-band repeater".

Thus when operating a check-point (like I was for the Yarraman to
Wulkuraka bike ride¹ last year), instead of being tethered to the
bicycle, I can plug my headset into my phone instead and still have
80m-70cm all-mode capability.

For this to work, I still want to be able to use my radio normally, so
basically be able to plug the headset into the microphone/speaker jacks
on the set, and use it like I do now -- as Queensland road rules
preclude me from using a mobile phone whilst in transit *for any reason*
(unless I want an AU$1000 fine for my troubles).

Do I need a pull-up on the SQL lines like I did for the UDRC-II in order
to have normal audio on the FT-857D/897D?

Regards,
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.

1. https://www.brisbanewicen.org.au/2018/08/04/y2w/



Re: [udrc] UDRC-II squelch on the Yaesu FT-897D → Does DRAWS require this?

Stuart Longland VK4MSL
 

On 15/11/16 12:33 am, Bryan Hoyer wrote:
The Active Low SQL pin drives a 4.7kOhm resistor to the base of a transistor.

Some radios may require a pull-up resistor to any convenient voltage 3-12V. I’d go with a 4.7k to 3.3V up to 10k at 12V.
Hi all,

The DRAWS board arrived yesterday evening, and today I picked up a new
Raspberry Pi 3 to connect it… so far things seem to be working but I'm
yet to hook up a radio.

Now, with the predecessor board (which has seen some use as a packet
radio station), I had to make a small modification to get audio on the
FT-897/857…

https://stuartl.longlandclan.id.au/blog/2016/11/20/getting-the-udrc-ii-to-play-nice-with-the-yaesu-ft-897d/

I've also used this same board with an Yaesu FTM-350AR and a Icom 706 MkIIG.

For the DRAWS, I intend to use it on my bicycle, which runs a FT-857D.
The plan is I'll set up two transceivers: a Wouxun KG-UVD1P I have
laying around set on 145.175MHz for APRS; and use the other port going
to the data jack on the FT-857D. I'll use the DRAWS auxiliary port to
control the CAT interface.

With the Pi acting as a WiFi access point, I should be able to use a
Mumble VoIP server to allow my mobile phone to connect and act as a
"cross-band repeater".

Thus when operating a check-point (like I was for the Yarraman to
Wulkuraka bike ride¹ last year), instead of being tethered to the
bicycle, I can plug my headset into my phone instead and still have
80m-70cm all-mode capability.

For this to work, I still want to be able to use my radio normally, so
basically be able to plug the headset into the microphone/speaker jacks
on the set, and use it like I do now -- as Queensland road rules
preclude me from using a mobile phone whilst in transit *for any reason*
(unless I want an AU$1000 fine for my troubles).

Do I need a pull-up on the SQL lines like I did for the UDRC-II in order
to have normal audio on the FT-857D/897D?

Regards,
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.

1. https://www.brisbanewicen.org.au/2018/08/04/y2w/


Re: Mirrors of Compass Linux image?

Stuart Longland VK4MSL
 

On 20/8/19 6:37 pm, Stuart Longland wrote:

The Internet connection at my workplace is a 50Mbps (both ways)
microwave link, and I started downloading at 12:00 (UTC+10)… as of 18:33
it is still going, with an alleged 100MB left to go and speed going up
and down like a yo-yo.

I'm guessing I just hit it on a bad day.  Are there other mirrors around
for these images?
Well, got it down, and now I see why it's 2.6GB in size… it's a
full-blown desktop image. I usually like to start with a minimal image
and add what I need rather than starting with a big image and having to
slim it down.

I might have a look at this and see if a smaller image can't be
produced… I think a more "compact" image would be a little easier to handle.

Not difficult to have a small image which just downloads "the
essentials", then asks some further questions to install the rest
(including a full-blown GUI if needed).

I might look into this as I'd like something built on the Buster release
of Debian rather than Debian Stretch as some of the software I'm writing
will require it (or rather, require Python 3.6+; Buster ships with 3.7,
Stretch with 3.5).

Regards,
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.


Draws/udrc2

W2TLJ <tjoneson@...>
 

Is #DRAWS a drop in replacement for the UDRC2 used with a DR1X?

Tom Joneson w2tlj


Mirrors of Compass Linux image?

Stuart Longland VK4MSL
 

Hi all,

Is there a mirror of the Compass Linux for the new DRAWS board? At the moment I'm downloading the "draws_beta13.zip" image off of nwdig.net.

The Internet connection at my workplace is a 50Mbps (both ways) microwave link, and I started downloading at 12:00 (UTC+10)… as of 18:33 it is still going, with an alleged 100MB left to go and speed going up and down like a yo-yo.

I'm guessing I just hit it on a bad day. Are there other mirrors around for these images?

Regards,
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.


Re: #Draws used with #WinLink with #BTech 6X2 #DMR radio..... #winlink #btech #dmr #draws

 

At first blush, what you are describing isn't practical.

DMR uses the AMBE vocoder to pass voice communications and it will not reproduce tones for the modems typically used for Winlink communications.  Winlink typically uses AX.25 packet or Ardop (and possibly other) analog modems.

DRAWS™ supports AX.25 and Ardop, so in analog mode, you may be able to do Winlink communications with that radio.

Also amateur radio DMR does not provide private communications.  It will do radio-to-radio routing (not connections), but it can be monitored by other stations using promiscuous mode.

Maybe folks will have some ideas for you.


On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 5:28 PM Kenneth Cenac <Ken.cenac@...> wrote:
I am very proud interested in trying to get a DRAWS connected to my new BTech 6X2 DMR radio..... And use WinLink and JS8Call on the DMR on a private direct radio to radio connection.  Any suggestions would he appreciated.  Thank you.... KE5ASY New Orleans region ARES..... 



--
John D. Hays
Kingston, WA
K7VE

 


#Draws used with #WinLink with #BTech 6X2 #DMR radio..... #winlink #btech #dmr #draws

Kenneth Cenac <Ken.cenac@...>
 

I am very proud interested in trying to get a DRAWS connected to my new BTech 6X2 DMR radio..... And use WinLink and JS8Call on the DMR on a private direct radio to radio connection.  Any suggestions would he appreciated.  Thank you.... KE5ASY New Orleans region ARES..... 


Re: Using the DRAWS hat with a Raspberry Pi 4 #yaac #replacecompass #draws #install #js8call

Mike Watkins <mike.watkins@...>
 

To add to the collective knowledge, I had to run rpi-update to get the latest firmware (working on 4.19.66-v7l+ #1253 SMP Thu Aug 15 12:02:08 BST 2019 armv7l).

I'm running otherwise stock Buster and installing only those apps that I need at present which for the time being is Direwolf for an APRS Digipeater/Igate.

Currently using RPI4, and yes, it does need a fan! I'm going to move the DRAWS hat to an idle Pi3. 


hamlib + wsjt + gpio??? #wsjt-x #hamlib

Art - KC7SDA
 

Just wondering, I know people have gotten wsjt to work with cat control or usb control, but has anyone gotten a work around to use the gpio pins for the ptt?

the main reason I ask is that when i switch radios I don't want to try to mess with cat or usb control, and some of my rigs have neither. it would be nice to be able to switch between any radio w/o extra control cables.

I haven't played around with hamlib enough to know all its features yet, but has anyone added gpio support to it?


Re: [udrc] #draws Aluminum Case #draws

Stephan DG1BGS
 

Thank you for the information, Bryan. Seems I missed the blog post.

Am 13.08.2019 um 02:15 schrieb Bryan Hoyer:

As per our blog post, the cases are being redesigned to accommodate Pi3 and 4. We will post on the blog when we have a date.

73
Bryan K7UDR

On Aug 11, 2019, at 11:26 PM, Stephan DG1BGS <stephan.grensemann@...> wrote:

Hi all,
Are there any news when the early adopter case will be shipped out to the customers. I still haven't received mine.


vy 73 & 55 de Stephan 9V1LH / DG1BGS

Am 25.06.2019 um 01:14 schrieb August Johnson:
I bought an early adopter DRAWS many months ago, paid for the early-adopter AL case at beginning of May, still don't have any word on the case. Anything??? You got my money!

August KG7BZ

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 11:03 AM Joe Wisecaver <kg7ypb@...> wrote:
I totally agree with others in this thread. We've waited months for a case being promised a discount when they were available. Now pushed aside to another company without the product we have been patiently waiting for. Wrong way to keep your customers satisfied.

Joe Wisecaver KG7YPB




Re: [udrc] #draws Aluminum Case #draws

 

As per our blog post, the cases are being redesigned to accommodate Pi3 and 4. We will post on the blog when we have a date.

73
Bryan K7UDR

On Aug 11, 2019, at 11:26 PM, Stephan DG1BGS <stephan.grensemann@...> wrote:

Hi all,
Are there any news when the early adopter case will be shipped out to the customers. I still haven't received mine.


vy 73 & 55 de Stephan 9V1LH / DG1BGS

Am 25.06.2019 um 01:14 schrieb August Johnson:
I bought an early adopter DRAWS many months ago, paid for the early-adopter AL case at beginning of May, still don't have any word on the case. Anything??? You got my money!

August KG7BZ

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 11:03 AM Joe Wisecaver <kg7ypb@...> wrote:
I totally agree with others in this thread. We've waited months for a case being promised a discount when they were available. Now pushed aside to another company without the product we have been patiently waiting for. Wrong way to keep your customers satisfied.

Joe Wisecaver KG7YPB



Re: [udrc] #draws Aluminum Case #draws

Stephan DG1BGS
 

Hi all,
Are there any news when the early adopter case will be shipped out to the customers. I still haven't received mine.


vy 73 & 55 de Stephan 9V1LH / DG1BGS

Am 25.06.2019 um 01:14 schrieb August Johnson:

I bought an early adopter DRAWS many months ago, paid for the early-adopter AL case at beginning of May, still don't have any word on the case. Anything??? You got my money!

August KG7BZ

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 11:03 AM Joe Wisecaver <kg7ypb@...> wrote:
I totally agree with others in this thread. We've waited months for a case being promised a discount when they were available. Now pushed aside to another company without the product we have been patiently waiting for. Wrong way to keep your customers satisfied.

Joe Wisecaver KG7YPB


Re: New Draws Case - RPi4 and RPi3

Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ
 

Nice case and pictures!

Looking forward to the PowerPole addition.

On 8/9/2019 1:06 PM, Ryan W Leathers wrote:
I got one of these cases printed for my Pi3. I have not put the power pole connector in place yet - will do that later this evening when I have a soldering iron. There are nice details in this design, like the little ledge the SD card slides on when inserting and removing, the internal power pole connector slot, and the knock-out for the IO port.??

I only made a small change to the case. I removed the posts between the USB and Ethernet ports to provide a little more air flow for the Pi. In all,??I'm very happy with the fit and finish of this case. I think it will be perfect for my intended use of the Pi3 DRAWS, and as an added bonus the orange matches the shock case of my Android tablet which will be running VNC client to talk to the headless Pi.??

Thanks to Frank for the upload to Thingverse!


On Fri, Aug 2, 2019 at 9:07 PM Frank Ivan via Groups.Io <k0fei=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have uploaded a new 3D printable DRAWS case to Thingiverse https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3783961.

This is a case for Raspberry Pi 3b or Raspberry Pi 4b + NWDR DRAWS hat with GPS port on side.
It is a modification of RPi3 DRAWS case by N0KZ.

SCAD file provided so you can help tune the design
STL files for both Raspberry Pi 3b or Raspberry Pi 4b - print your choice
Has a powerpole power port
Nice fit for DRAWS card
Rounded corners
Machine screws into card spacers hold case together

Hardware
4 M2.5 x 8mm hex socket head machine screws (8mm does not include head)
4 M2.5 x 11mm female to female spacers
4 M2.5 x 25mm hex socket head machine screws

Assembly
Clean out screw holes - 7/64 or 3mm bit does it nicely
Install Powerpole connector - maybe use a bit of thin double stick tape or super glue to hold in place
Install DRAWS card in lid. It's a close fit but should not be difficult
Push M2.5 x 25mm screws in holes and secure with spacers - finger tight
Plug Pi into DRAWS card - make sure it is aligned correctly and pins go into correct holes
Install base
Secure with the 4 M2.5 x 8mm screws
Tighten every thing up with allen wrench

Note
The Raspberry Pi 4b runs hotter than the Raspberry Pi 3B so the next enhancement
should probably be a fan, perhaps sandwich a POE board with its fan between the
Pi and the DRAWS hat.