Date   

Re: Buster Image with DRAWS software

Basil Gunn
 

Please cut & paste the console output of:
cd
cd n7nix/bin
./udrcver.sh

Thanks,
/Basil

Frank Ivan via Groups.Io <k0fei=me.com@groups.io> writes:

Hi Bryan,

So what is the verdict on the strange product_ver? Can you send me a program to change it to something the drivers will be happy with? It would seem this card has not been shipped yet :-)

Thanks and 73
Frank - K0FEI

On Sep 5, 2019, at 5:31 PM, Bryan Hoyer <@K7UDR> wrote:

To see what version of DRAWS you have:

$ cat /proc/device-tree/hat/product_ver
0xAAFF

AA is Assembly Revision
FF is Fab Rev

Currently Shipping 0x0106

Bryan K7UDR

On Sep 5, 2019, at 3:03 PM, Frank Ivan via Groups.Io <k0fei=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Edd,

Just glad its working.

I must have a really really early card.

Hey - its a hobby and if you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong :-)

73 - Frank - K0FEI


Re: Buster Image with DRAWS software

 

Drivers only look at ProductID which is 4 for DRAWS

On Sep 24, 2019, at 1:18 PM, Frank Ivan via Groups.Io <k0fei@...> wrote:

Hi Bryan,

So what is the verdict on the strange product_ver?  Can you send me a program to change it to something the drivers will be happy with?  It would seem this card has not been shipped yet :-)

Thanks and 73
Frank - K0FEI


On Sep 5, 2019, at 5:31 PM, Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...> wrote:

To see what version of DRAWS you have:

$ cat /proc/device-tree/hat/product_ver
0xAAFF

AA is Assembly Revision
FF is Fab Rev

Currently Shipping 0x0106

Bryan K7UDR

On Sep 5, 2019, at 3:03 PM, Frank Ivan via Groups.Io <k0fei@...> wrote:

Hi Edd,

Just glad its working.

I must have a really really early card.

Hey - its a hobby and if you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong :-)

73 - Frank - K0FEI




Re: Buster Image with DRAWS software

Frank Ivan
 

Hi Bryan,

So what is the verdict on the strange product_ver?  Can you send me a program to change it to something the drivers will be happy with?  It would seem this card has not been shipped yet :-)

Thanks and 73
Frank - K0FEI


On Sep 5, 2019, at 5:31 PM, Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...> wrote:

To see what version of DRAWS you have:

$ cat /proc/device-tree/hat/product_ver
0xAAFF

AA is Assembly Revision
FF is Fab Rev

Currently Shipping 0x0106

Bryan K7UDR

On Sep 5, 2019, at 3:03 PM, Frank Ivan via Groups.Io <k0fei@...> wrote:

Hi Edd,

Just glad its working.

I must have a really really early card.

Hey - its a hobby and if you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong :-)

73 - Frank - K0FEI



Re: DRAWS and Buster distro

Basil Gunn
 

Not sure this list is still alive.
Yes it's alive or at least I read all the posts.

Due to issues with partially broken libraries in Compass image I decided
to burn Buster distro on a RPi 3B with DRAWS HAT.

The system is doing well but DRAWS is not recognized by default as a
sound card.
The driver for the DRAWS hat, specifically the TI TLV320aic3204 codec
driver and the overlays for the UDRC/DRAWS hats are now in the main line
Linux kernel. If you are using a Raspbian image with kernel version
4.19.66-v7+ (uname -r) or newer then you have the current driver for the
UDRC/DRAWS HATS. To enable the driver you need to add the following
lines to the bottom of file /boot/config.txt

For DRAWS hat:

dtoverlay=draws,alsaname=udrc
force_turbo=1

For UDRC & UDRC II hats you need to flush dtoverlays before loading
the draws overlay:

dtoverlay=
dtoverlay=draws,alsaname=udrc
force_turbo=1

After a reboot to verify the driver has in fact been loaded run:
aplay -l
and look for this line:

card 1: udrc [udrc], device 0: bcm2835-i2s-tlv320aic32x4-hifi tlv320aic32x4-hifi-0 []

The dtoverlay flush is required because the older HATS (udrc & udrc II)
have an overlay in the HAT eeprom and Linux has changed the names of
some variables used by these overlays causing them not to work. Flushing
the overlays (dtoverlay=) removes the older non functioning dtoverlay
loaded from the eeprom allowing the new overlay loaded from the file
system to be functional.

Now I would like to know how to install AX.25 and APRS stuff ?
I am currently testing a new buster image with the same functionality as
previous images and will upload in the next day or 2.

Is any N7NIX script available ?
The same scripts that you previously used to configure
direwolf/ax.25/packet programs will work with the new image.

Bernard, F6BVP
http://f6bvp.org
http://radiotelescope-lavillette.fr


DRAWS and Buster distro

Bernard f6bvp / ai7bg
 

Hi,

Not sure this list is still alive.

Due to issues with partially broken libraries in Compass image I decided to burn Buster distro on a RPi 3B with DRAWS HAT.

The system is doing well but DRAWS is not recognized by default as a sound card.

Now I would like to know how to install AX.25 and APRS stuff ?

Is any N7NIX script available ?

Bernard, F6BVP
http://f6bvp.org
http://radiotelescope-lavillette.fr


Re: DRAWS™ Latest Board Run Defect (Standby) #recall #draws

Jim Erickson
 

Thanks Bryan, I understand and my board is an affected one.  While I’m not far from you, I am across the border so am a little reluctant to ship it. I may jump across the border and ship it from Sumas, though I may still try to repair myself.  Any chance maybe someone could do a quick video on how to do the repair or provide a little more detailed instruction?

Thanks
Jim
------
73,
Jim
VA7SHG - Phone
VE7TGZ - Other

On Sep 22, 2019, at 12:09, Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...> wrote:

Hi Jim,

First off, if the GPS antenna connector is on the same side as the Mini DIN-6 Connectors your board is not affected.

Many low bandwidth HF Programs may work but you will need to raise the level. 1200 Baud Packet is a non-starter.

Bryan K7UDR

On Sep 22, 2019, at 12:05 PM, Jim Erickson <jim@...> wrote:

Apologies if this is a silly question, but how will the bug manifest itself?  What applications would be affected and in what way are they affected.  I haven’t pulled my board out of it’s case to judge how difficult it will be to perform the work myself but am curious what happens if I leave the board as is?

Thanks
Jim
------
73,
Jim
VA7SHG - Phone
VE7TGZ - Other

On Sep 15, 2019, at 12:30, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:


We have discovered that a capacitor was installed in the audio filter chain that can prevent certain applications from functioning properly.

We apologize that this was not detected before the boards were shipped.

In the next few days we will publish instructions for those who would like to do a field repair.

At the same time we will provide instructions on how to have NW Digital Radio perform the repair.

Please do not return your boards before instructions are provided.


-- 


John D. Hays
Director

  




Re: DRAWS™ Latest Board Run Defect (Standby) #recall #draws

 

We are just pulling the caps.

On Sep 22, 2019, at 3:34 PM, Chris Metcalf <chris@...> wrote:

Are you guys just removing the bad caps like we would, or are you replacing them with the correct ones? I can stand to be without my board for that long, so sending it back sounds like a good option to me.

On Sun, Sep 22, 2019 at 3:28 PM Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...> wrote:
2 days here

On Sep 22, 2019, at 3:14 PM, Chris Metcalf <chris@...> wrote:

If we send our boards back for repair, what's the likely turnaround time?

FWIW, I'm just a couple hours south in Seattle.

On Sun, Sep 22, 2019 at 12:36 PM Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...> wrote:
The issue with large gain settings is you drive the DAC into clipping, which won’t damage anything but the waveform will be distorted.

I’ll do some tests in the lab tomorrow and post results.

Bryan K7UDR







moderated Re: Early Adopter case???

Gayland Gump
 

Ditto.
Gayland
KG7GCF


On Sun, Sep 22, 2019 at 7:04 PM Dale Atkin <dacelt43@...> wrote:
GOD, I hate trolls. Make this forum great by shutting your stupid mouth. 

On Sun, Sep 22, 2019 at 12:30 PM W2TLJ <tjoneson@...> wrote:
Gee
 Too bad you couldn't keep your product in the USA. MAGA

On Sun, Sep 22, 2019, 11:45 Steve, N9VW <steve@...> wrote:
Bryan,
I'd be plenty happy with 2 of the original unmodified cases if you happen to have any left.

73 de Steve, N9VW

On 9/22/2019 7:31 AM, Bryan Hoyer wrote:
Hi August,

Last Month I sent hacked up cases and Pi 3 and 4 to the manufacturer in China via USPS where they were stuck in Customs for a month then disappeared. We have sent another batch via a different carrier. I’ll post an update once I confirm they have made it to the manufacturer.

John Hays is at DCC in Detroit and it occurs to me that I first talked about cases a year ago at DCC in Albuquerque. I am keenly aware of the delay in production.

Bryan K7UDR

On Sep 21, 2019, at 6:02 PM, August Johnson <augjohnson@...> wrote:

I'm going to ask again about the early adopter aluminum case. I know you'll just say "Refer to the Blog" but since the last entry on the blog about the case is June 5, I think it's about time for this to be addressed. And just saying "You're free to cancel your order" is avoiding answering the question. WHEN can us early adopters expect to receive the cases we ordered??? I ordered this case many months ago!

August Johnson KG7BZ



Re: DRAWS™ Latest Board Run Defect (Standby) #recall #draws

Chris Metcalf
 

Are you guys just removing the bad caps like we would, or are you replacing them with the correct ones? I can stand to be without my board for that long, so sending it back sounds like a good option to me.


On Sun, Sep 22, 2019 at 3:28 PM Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...> wrote:
2 days here

On Sep 22, 2019, at 3:14 PM, Chris Metcalf <chris@...> wrote:

If we send our boards back for repair, what's the likely turnaround time?

FWIW, I'm just a couple hours south in Seattle.

On Sun, Sep 22, 2019 at 12:36 PM Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...> wrote:
The issue with large gain settings is you drive the DAC into clipping, which won’t damage anything but the waveform will be distorted.

I’ll do some tests in the lab tomorrow and post results.

Bryan K7UDR




Re: DRAWS™ Latest Board Run Defect (Standby) #recall #draws

 

2 days here

On Sep 22, 2019, at 3:14 PM, Chris Metcalf <chris@...> wrote:

If we send our boards back for repair, what's the likely turnaround time?

FWIW, I'm just a couple hours south in Seattle.

On Sun, Sep 22, 2019 at 12:36 PM Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...> wrote:
The issue with large gain settings is you drive the DAC into clipping, which won’t damage anything but the waveform will be distorted.

I’ll do some tests in the lab tomorrow and post results.

Bryan K7UDR




Re: DRAWS™ Latest Board Run Defect (Standby) #recall #draws

Chris Metcalf
 

If we send our boards back for repair, what's the likely turnaround time?

FWIW, I'm just a couple hours south in Seattle.

On Sun, Sep 22, 2019 at 12:36 PM Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...> wrote:
The issue with large gain settings is you drive the DAC into clipping, which won’t damage anything but the waveform will be distorted.

I’ll do some tests in the lab tomorrow and post results.

Bryan K7UDR



Re: DRAWS™ Latest Board Run Defect (Standby) #recall #draws

 

The issue with large gain settings is you drive the DAC into clipping, which won’t damage anything but the waveform will be distorted.

I’ll do some tests in the lab tomorrow and post results.

Bryan K7UDR


Re: DRAWS™ Latest Board Run Defect (Standby) #recall #draws

K4KDR
 

I share Jim's question and appreciate your response!  However, it still leaves me reluctant to make any alterations, as everything (including 1200 Baud Packet) works perfectly.  By everything, of course I mean what I've tried so far which would be JS8Call, FT8, ARDOP Winlink, & 1200 Baud Packet in the form of Winlink, Terrestrial APRS, & satellite APRS.

I did have to increase the levels higher than had been suggested in the documentation & as seen in various online comments that various people have been kind enough to contribute, but just thought perhaps that was specific to my FT-857d:

Screenshot from 2019-09-22 15-13-07.png

... so I suppose the obvious course if action is "If it's not broke, don't fix it", but naturally I don't want to impede my ability to do everything I might want to with this setup down the road.  When time permits I'll carefully remove those caps and see what changes.

Thanks again.

-Scott,  K4KDR

======================

On Sun, Sep 22, 2019 at 3:09 PM Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...> wrote:
Hi Jim,

First off, if the GPS antenna connector is on the same side as the Mini DIN-6 Connectors your board is not affected.

Many low bandwidth HF Programs may work but you will need to raise the level. 1200 Baud Packet is a non-starter.

Bryan K7UDR

On Sep 22, 2019, at 12:05 PM, Jim Erickson <jim@...> wrote:

Apologies if this is a silly question, but how will the bug manifest itself?  What applications would be affected and in what way are they affected.  I haven’t pulled my board out of it’s case to judge how difficult it will be to perform the work myself but am curious what happens if I leave the board as is?

Thanks
Jim
------
73,
Jim
VA7SHG - Phone
VE7TGZ - Other

On Sep 15, 2019, at 12:30, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:


We have discovered that a capacitor was installed in the audio filter chain that can prevent certain applications from functioning properly.

We apologize that this was not detected before the boards were shipped.

In the next few days we will publish instructions for those who would like to do a field repair.

At the same time we will provide instructions on how to have NW Digital Radio perform the repair.

Please do not return your boards before instructions are provided.


-- 


John D. Hays
Director

  



Re: DRAWS™ Latest Board Run Defect (Standby) #recall #draws

 

Hi Jim,

First off, if the GPS antenna connector is on the same side as the Mini DIN-6 Connectors your board is not affected.

Many low bandwidth HF Programs may work but you will need to raise the level. 1200 Baud Packet is a non-starter.

Bryan K7UDR

On Sep 22, 2019, at 12:05 PM, Jim Erickson <jim@...> wrote:

Apologies if this is a silly question, but how will the bug manifest itself?  What applications would be affected and in what way are they affected.  I haven’t pulled my board out of it’s case to judge how difficult it will be to perform the work myself but am curious what happens if I leave the board as is?

Thanks
Jim
------
73,
Jim
VA7SHG - Phone
VE7TGZ - Other

On Sep 15, 2019, at 12:30, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:


We have discovered that a capacitor was installed in the audio filter chain that can prevent certain applications from functioning properly.

We apologize that this was not detected before the boards were shipped.

In the next few days we will publish instructions for those who would like to do a field repair.

At the same time we will provide instructions on how to have NW Digital Radio perform the repair.

Please do not return your boards before instructions are provided.


-- 


John D. Hays
Director

  



Re: DRAWS™ Latest Board Run Defect (Standby) #recall #draws

Jim Erickson
 

Apologies if this is a silly question, but how will the bug manifest itself?  What applications would be affected and in what way are they affected.  I haven’t pulled my board out of it’s case to judge how difficult it will be to perform the work myself but am curious what happens if I leave the board as is?

Thanks
Jim
------
73,
Jim
VA7SHG - Phone
VE7TGZ - Other

On Sep 15, 2019, at 12:30, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:


We have discovered that a capacitor was installed in the audio filter chain that can prevent certain applications from functioning properly.

We apologize that this was not detected before the boards were shipped.

In the next few days we will publish instructions for those who would like to do a field repair.

At the same time we will provide instructions on how to have NW Digital Radio perform the repair.

Please do not return your boards before instructions are provided.


--


John D. Hays
Director

  


moderated Re: Early Adopter case???

W2TLJ <tjoneson@...>
 

Gee
 Too bad you couldn't keep your product in the USA. MAGA

On Sun, Sep 22, 2019, 11:45 Steve, N9VW <steve@...> wrote:
Bryan,
I'd be plenty happy with 2 of the original unmodified cases if you happen to have any left.

73 de Steve, N9VW

On 9/22/2019 7:31 AM, Bryan Hoyer wrote:
Hi August,

Last Month I sent hacked up cases and Pi 3 and 4 to the manufacturer in China via USPS where they were stuck in Customs for a month then disappeared. We have sent another batch via a different carrier. I’ll post an update once I confirm they have made it to the manufacturer.

John Hays is at DCC in Detroit and it occurs to me that I first talked about cases a year ago at DCC in Albuquerque. I am keenly aware of the delay in production.

Bryan K7UDR

On Sep 21, 2019, at 6:02 PM, August Johnson <augjohnson@...> wrote:

I'm going to ask again about the early adopter aluminum case. I know you'll just say "Refer to the Blog" but since the last entry on the blog about the case is June 5, I think it's about time for this to be addressed. And just saying "You're free to cancel your order" is avoiding answering the question. WHEN can us early adopters expect to receive the cases we ordered??? I ordered this case many months ago!

August Johnson KG7BZ



Re: DRAWS™ Latest Board Run Defect (Standby) #recall #draws

Edouard Lafargue
 

Thanks Bryan!

  In any case, the rework was useful - default alsamixer settings that are shipped with the n7nix repository now work out of the box...

Ed


On Sun, Sep 22, 2019 at 9:25 AM Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...> wrote:
The output of the DAC is clean so the filter is unnecessary from that standpoint. There may be some value from an RFI standpoint but you would be better off with a Ferrite on the Radio Cable.

On Sep 21, 2019, at 5:23 PM, Edouard Lafargue <edouard@...> wrote:


  Is there any benefit putting the right value caps back in place rather than just removing them?

Ed

On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 1:36 PM Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...> wrote:
Here is there info needed to address the problem:

The Audio output has an RC Filter of 100ohms and 0.1uF for a -3dB frequency of 16kHz.

The boards were stuffed with 10uF instead for a 160Hz cutoff.

The filter is not really necessary so the caps may be removed.

<DRAWS6Rework.png>

If you do the rework yourself, send an email to sales@... with REWORK <order#> as the subject and we will refund $10.

Or you may send the board only to:

NW Digital Radio
REWORK<order#>
150 Cessna Ave
Friday Harbor WA 908250

We will rework it for you and refund $5 for the postage

We have updated our manufacturing test to provide better coverage.

Thanks,
Bryan K7UDR




Re: DRAWS™ Latest Board Run Defect (Standby) #recall #draws

 

The output of the DAC is clean so the filter is unnecessary from that standpoint. There may be some value from an RFI standpoint but you would be better off with a Ferrite on the Radio Cable.

On Sep 21, 2019, at 5:23 PM, Edouard Lafargue <edouard@...> wrote:


  Is there any benefit putting the right value caps back in place rather than just removing them?

Ed

On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 1:36 PM Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...> wrote:
Here is there info needed to address the problem:

The Audio output has an RC Filter of 100ohms and 0.1uF for a -3dB frequency of 16kHz.

The boards were stuffed with 10uF instead for a 160Hz cutoff.

The filter is not really necessary so the caps may be removed.

<DRAWS6Rework.png>

If you do the rework yourself, send an email to sales@... with REWORK <order#> as the subject and we will refund $10.

Or you may send the board only to:

NW Digital Radio
REWORK<order#>
150 Cessna Ave
Friday Harbor WA 908250

We will rework it for you and refund $5 for the postage

We have updated our manufacturing test to provide better coverage.

Thanks,
Bryan K7UDR




moderated Re: Early Adopter case???

Steve, N9VW
 

Bryan,
I'd be plenty happy with 2 of the original unmodified cases if you happen to have any left.

73 de Steve, N9VW

On 9/22/2019 7:31 AM, Bryan Hoyer wrote:
Hi August,

Last Month I sent hacked up cases and Pi 3 and 4 to the manufacturer in China via USPS where they were stuck in Customs for a month then disappeared. We have sent another batch via a different carrier. I’ll post an update once I confirm they have made it to the manufacturer.

John Hays is at DCC in Detroit and it occurs to me that I first talked about cases a year ago at DCC in Albuquerque. I am keenly aware of the delay in production.

Bryan K7UDR

On Sep 21, 2019, at 6:02 PM, August Johnson <augjohnson@...> wrote:

I'm going to ask again about the early adopter aluminum case. I know you'll just say "Refer to the Blog" but since the last entry on the blog about the case is June 5, I think it's about time for this to be addressed. And just saying "You're free to cancel your order" is avoiding answering the question. WHEN can us early adopters expect to receive the cases we ordered??? I ordered this case many months ago!

August Johnson KG7BZ



Re: DRAWS™ Latest Board Run Defect (Standby) #recall #draws

 

The output of the DAC is clean so there is no benefit from that standpoint. There may be some value in reducing RFI from the radio but I can’t prove that.

On Sep 21, 2019, at 5:23 PM, Edouard Lafargue <edouard@...> wrote:


  Is there any benefit putting the right value caps back in place rather than just removing them?

Ed

On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 1:36 PM Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...> wrote:
Here is there info needed to address the problem:

The Audio output has an RC Filter of 100ohms and 0.1uF for a -3dB frequency of 16kHz.

The boards were stuffed with 10uF instead for a 160Hz cutoff.

The filter is not really necessary so the caps may be removed.

<DRAWS6Rework.png>

If you do the rework yourself, send an email to sales@... with REWORK <order#> as the subject and we will refund $10.

Or you may send the board only to:

NW Digital Radio
REWORK<order#>
150 Cessna Ave
Friday Harbor WA 908250

We will rework it for you and refund $5 for the postage

We have updated our manufacturing test to provide better coverage.

Thanks,
Bryan K7UDR