Date   
Re: Backup Battery

J P Watters
 

It is in the Wiki on the forum 

The battery is a non-rechargeable CR1220 3V Lithium cell, which can be locally sourced.  Battery is not included.

https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/DRAWS™%3A-Setup-GPSD-for-Time-and--Position

Re: Backup Battery

 

CR1220  3V Lithium (non-rechargeable).

On Sun, Dec 2, 2018 at 2:51 PM Jay <jay.n4nqy@...> wrote:
I have seen no mention of the RTC Backup Battery type.

Anyone know?



--


John D. Hays
Edmonds, WA
K7VE

   

directions to install draws on a existing RPi install

Daniel Corwin
 

Are there directions to install the compass repository and install DRAWS' drivers?

Backup Battery

Jay
 

I have seen no mention of the RTC Backup Battery type.

Anyone know?

Re: HOWTO: Receive monitoring on Yaesu with DRAWS

Brian Badger
 

Steve,

Absolutely and this is what I’m going to do when I get the parts together.

Brian N0KZ


On Dec 2, 2018, at 9:55 AM, Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...> wrote:

(asking because I don't know one way or the other)

Could you put a switch on this pin so that you could use SQL when needed and turn it off to regain HF voice?

On Sat, Dec 1, 2018 at 5:00 PM Brian Badger <brian@...> wrote:
Since I got no response, I attacked one of my cables and determined that to restore receive monitoring audio on a Yaesu radio (FT-817 and FT-897 tested), I would have to sacrifice my SQL pin.  With the SQL pin disconnected, the audio output of the radio is normal, with the SQL pin connected the audio output of the radio is muted.  For packet, this muting is fine, but for a mobile HF rig this is not usable.  I was hoping this would be controllable by setting the GPIO, but to no avail.

HOW TO CUT THE SQL PIN:
1) Carefully remove the insulator of a 2 inch section of the cable, for convenience sake, somewhere in the middle.
2) Carefully open the shield foil to find 6 color coded wires:
green: DATA OUT (1200)
red: GND
beige: DATA IN
yellow: PTT
orange: DATA OUT (9600)
black: SQL
3) cut the black wire.  Wrap both ends of the black wire with electrical tape -- if the radio end of this wire touches the shield your audio will mute
4) rewrap the shield foil
5) cover the cable with electrical tape.

--
Brian N0KZ

Re: HOWTO: Receive monitoring on Yaesu with DRAWS

Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...>
 

(asking because I don't know one way or the other)

Could you put a switch on this pin so that you could use SQL when needed and turn it off to regain HF voice?


On Sat, Dec 1, 2018 at 5:00 PM Brian Badger <brian@...> wrote:
Since I got no response, I attacked one of my cables and determined that to restore receive monitoring audio on a Yaesu radio (FT-817 and FT-897 tested), I would have to sacrifice my SQL pin.  With the SQL pin disconnected, the audio output of the radio is normal, with the SQL pin connected the audio output of the radio is muted.  For packet, this muting is fine, but for a mobile HF rig this is not usable.  I was hoping this would be controllable by setting the GPIO, but to no avail.

HOW TO CUT THE SQL PIN:
1) Carefully remove the insulator of a 2 inch section of the cable, for convenience sake, somewhere in the middle.
2) Carefully open the shield foil to find 6 color coded wires:
green: DATA OUT (1200)
red: GND
beige: DATA IN
yellow: PTT
orange: DATA OUT (9600)
black: SQL
3) cut the black wire.  Wrap both ends of the black wire with electrical tape -- if the radio end of this wire touches the shield your audio will mute
4) rewrap the shield foil
5) cover the cable with electrical tape.

--
Brian N0KZ

Re: UDRC II, no TX? Other questions

 

The refurbished DR-1X is suspect. You want discriminator audio out and midulatir in.


On Sat, Dec 1, 2018, 19:22 Matt Trull <Oxyacetylene@... wrote:
I finally had some time to go through the config script and re-ran it. Part of the issue appears to be the custom cable I made along with the DR1X mode I had set in the config file. On my wiring harness I left pin 12 unconnected and the serialConfig=4 so that the repeater would be in fixed FM/FM. With it set up this way the UDRC wasn't "transmitting to." I connected pin 12, set serialConfig=2 and then it would show "transmitting to." My only issue now is that I can't seem to get a proper D-Star signal out of the DR-1X, and maybe that is something to do with it being a refurbished unit. I know there has been discussion of changes made to these units. The output signal looks exactly the same no matter how the audio levels are set, even at max or at zero. Of interest though is that we had an STM32-DVM board working with local RF using the same type of custom wiring harness. This DR-1X has been modified to tap directly into the TX audio line between the receiver and transmitter.  DR-1X firmware version is 1.201 EXP A1. To continue testing I may modify one of our non-refurb DR-1X and see what I get.

Question on the wiring for a custom cable: Pin 7 on the DR-1X is AF in. Since the cable is normally a straight through 1:1 connection, should pin 7 on the UDRC be the AF Output?

Thanks,
Matt

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 3:23 PM Matt Trull via Groups.Io <Oxyacetylene=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks all,

I will go back through and rerun the initial setup scripts to be sure everything is set back to defaults and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks,
Matt

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 2:15 PM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
Also, always start with the values in this script https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/UDRC%E2%84%A2-Setup-for-the-Yaesu-DR-1X-Repeater#Basic-Configuration  -- there are additional settings that the script sets that have an affect on input and output.

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 11:10 AM Matt Trull <Oxyacetylene@...> wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion, but I have tried varying PCM, ADC and Lo levels up to the max and the output signal isn't changing. I think the signal I am seeing on my SDR is just carrier or noise. I also emailed you directly so we can compare a few things.

Thanks!
Matt

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 1:58 PM VE3MIC via Groups.Io <ve3mic=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Matt,

On rare occasions (which to this date, I still don't know the cause) my DR-1x TX(PCM) audio level on the UDRC gets reset to zero.
Check yours. In my case, I set both audio levels to 48, If this isn`t it, and would like to compare notes. Drop me an email> ve3mic at rac dot ca.
Inline image



--


John D. Hays
Edmonds, WA
K7VE

   

Re: UDRC II, no TX? Other questions

Matt Trull
 

I finally had some time to go through the config script and re-ran it. Part of the issue appears to be the custom cable I made along with the DR1X mode I had set in the config file. On my wiring harness I left pin 12 unconnected and the serialConfig=4 so that the repeater would be in fixed FM/FM. With it set up this way the UDRC wasn't "transmitting to." I connected pin 12, set serialConfig=2 and then it would show "transmitting to." My only issue now is that I can't seem to get a proper D-Star signal out of the DR-1X, and maybe that is something to do with it being a refurbished unit. I know there has been discussion of changes made to these units. The output signal looks exactly the same no matter how the audio levels are set, even at max or at zero. Of interest though is that we had an STM32-DVM board working with local RF using the same type of custom wiring harness. This DR-1X has been modified to tap directly into the TX audio line between the receiver and transmitter.  DR-1X firmware version is 1.201 EXP A1. To continue testing I may modify one of our non-refurb DR-1X and see what I get.

Question on the wiring for a custom cable: Pin 7 on the DR-1X is AF in. Since the cable is normally a straight through 1:1 connection, should pin 7 on the UDRC be the AF Output?

Thanks,
Matt


On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 3:23 PM Matt Trull via Groups.Io <Oxyacetylene=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks all,

I will go back through and rerun the initial setup scripts to be sure everything is set back to defaults and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks,
Matt

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 2:15 PM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
Also, always start with the values in this script https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/UDRC%E2%84%A2-Setup-for-the-Yaesu-DR-1X-Repeater#Basic-Configuration  -- there are additional settings that the script sets that have an affect on input and output.

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 11:10 AM Matt Trull <Oxyacetylene@...> wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion, but I have tried varying PCM, ADC and Lo levels up to the max and the output signal isn't changing. I think the signal I am seeing on my SDR is just carrier or noise. I also emailed you directly so we can compare a few things.

Thanks!
Matt

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 1:58 PM VE3MIC via Groups.Io <ve3mic=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Matt,

On rare occasions (which to this date, I still don't know the cause) my DR-1x TX(PCM) audio level on the UDRC gets reset to zero.
Check yours. In my case, I set both audio levels to 48, If this isn`t it, and would like to compare notes. Drop me an email> ve3mic at rac dot ca.
Inline image



--


John D. Hays
Edmonds, WA
K7VE

   

Re: DRAWS downloadable Image? #setup #compassimage #draws #earlyadopters

art upton
 

Thanks John. I took your advice and used this image rather then build to an existing image without the add ones. I got the UDRC hardware seen for audio and the GPSD and GPS Monitor working just fine reading out GPS data and setup chrony. 

Now to build FLdigi and JS8call ;)

Art

Re: DRAWS downloadable Image? #setup #compassimage #draws #earlyadopters

art upton
 

On Sat, Dec 1, 2018 at 06:01 PM, John D Hays - K7VE wrote:
opti
Ok, thanks. I think I found the compass page that lets me load the drivers into an existing image, I have to add these to my apt-get repository to  allow me to install udrc-dkms into it.
I'll let you know if it works. 
 

Re: DRAWS downloadable Image? #setup #compassimage #draws #earlyadopters

 

Hi Art,

The current version of Compass is stretch with a couple of updates and configuration changes.  It is not like the early versions of Compass which required a kernel change. Not all documentation is prepared yet, so there is no page explaining how to add what is needed to stretch - however if you install as stated in https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/message/2023 you will have a stretch install with the addons.

Early adoption is a bit leading edge and thus some details will follow later.  Many folks already have up and running systems.



On Sat, Dec 1, 2018 at 2:53 PM art upton via Groups.Io <artupton=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi John, I don't wish to use Compass when all my other Pis are running Jesse or Stretch. I didn't on my UDRC-II either; instead I followed a guide on setting up the UDRC drivers and verifying them with Aplay on Jesse . Then I used D-star repeater and it all works with my DR-1x. 

I should be able to to the same thing with the DRAWS,m ie not using Compass Linux;  but I cannot find the webpage that had those instructions anymore. Was it ported to Groups.IO someplace?  It used to be on the NW website in my faulty memory. 

Let me know where my faults in my memory lay , hi hi.  Art



--


John D. Hays
Edmonds, WA
K7VE

   

HOWTO: Receive monitoring on Yaesu with DRAWS

Brian Badger
 

Since I got no response, I attacked one of my cables and determined that to restore receive monitoring audio on a Yaesu radio (FT-817 and FT-897 tested), I would have to sacrifice my SQL pin.  With the SQL pin disconnected, the audio output of the radio is normal, with the SQL pin connected the audio output of the radio is muted.  For packet, this muting is fine, but for a mobile HF rig this is not usable.  I was hoping this would be controllable by setting the GPIO, but to no avail.

HOW TO CUT THE SQL PIN:
1) Carefully remove the insulator of a 2 inch section of the cable, for convenience sake, somewhere in the middle.
2) Carefully open the shield foil to find 6 color coded wires:
green: DATA OUT (1200)
red: GND
beige: DATA IN
yellow: PTT
orange: DATA OUT (9600)
black: SQL
3) cut the black wire.  Wrap both ends of the black wire with electrical tape -- if the radio end of this wire touches the shield your audio will mute
4) rewrap the shield foil
5) cover the cable with electrical tape.

--
Brian N0KZ

Re: DRAWS downloadable Image? #setup #compassimage #draws #earlyadopters

art upton
 

Hi John, I don't wish to use Compass when all my other Pis are running Jesse or Stretch. I didn't on my UDRC-II either; instead I followed a guide on setting up the UDRC drivers and verifying them with Aplay on Jesse . Then I used D-star repeater and it all works with my DR-1x. 

I should be able to to the same thing with the DRAWS,m ie not using Compass Linux;  but I cannot find the webpage that had those instructions anymore. Was it ported to Groups.IO someplace?  It used to be on the NW website in my faulty memory. 

Let me know where my faults in my memory lay , hi hi.  Art

Re: How to poll SQL pin? Re: DRAWS downloadable Image? #setup #compassimage #draws #earlyadopters

Brian Badger
 

Ah.  I see that my assumptions were backwards.  It is pulled to 0 when open, 1 when closed.  This is the opposite what I assumed. 

--
Brian Badger

How to poll SQL pin? Re: DRAWS downloadable Image? #setup #compassimage #draws #earlyadopters

Brian Badger
 

I have been trying to poll the SQL pin for an FT-817 and FT-897, but for some reason it says low even when the squelch is open.  Is there some additional wiring or configuration for this GPIO input to work?
 +-----+-----+---------+------+---+---Pi 3+--+---+------+---------+-----+-----+

 | BCM | wPi |   Name  | Mode | V | Physical | V | Mode | Name    | wPi | BCM |

 +-----+-----+---------+------+---+----++----+---+------+---------+-----+-----+

 |     |     |    3.3v |      |   |  1 || 2  |   |      | 5v      |     |     |

 |   2 |   8 |   SDA.1 | ALT0 | 1 |  3 || 4  |   |      | 5v      |     |     |

 |   3 |   9 |   SCL.1 | ALT0 | 1 |  5 || 6  |   |      | 0v      |     |     |

 |   4 |   7 | GPIO. 7 | ALT0 | 0 |  7 || 8  | 0 | IN   | TxD     | 15  | 14  |

 |     |     |      0v |      |   |  9 || 10 | 1 | IN   | RxD     | 16  | 15  |

 |  17 |   0 | GPIO. 0 |   IN | 1 | 11 || 12 | 0 | ALT0 | GPIO. 1 | 1   | 18  |

 |  27 |   2 | GPIO. 2 |   IN | 0 | 13 || 14 |   |      | 0v      |     |     |

 |  22 |   3 | GPIO. 3 |   IN | 0 | 15 || 16 | 0 | OUT  | GPIO. 4 | 4   | 23  |

 |     |     |    3.3v |      |   | 17 || 18 | 0 | IN   | GPIO. 5 | 5   | 24  |

 |  10 |  12 |    MOSI |   IN | 0 | 19 || 20 |   |      | 0v      |     |     |

 |   9 |  13 |    MISO |   IN | 0 | 21 || 22 | 0 | IN   | GPIO. 6 | 6   | 25  |

 |  11 |  14 |    SCLK |   IN | 0 | 23 || 24 | 1 | IN   | CE0     | 10  | 8   |

 |     |     |      0v |      |   | 25 || 26 | 0 | IN   | CE1     | 11  | 7   |

 |   0 |  30 |   SDA.0 |   IN | 1 | 27 || 28 | 1 | IN   | SCL.0   | 31  | 1   |

 |   5 |  21 | GPIO.21 |   IN | 1 | 29 || 30 |   |      | 0v      |     |     |

 |   6 |  22 | GPIO.22 |   IN | 1 | 31 || 32 | 0 | OUT  | GPIO.26 | 26  | 12  |

 |  13 |  23 | GPIO.23 |  OUT | 1 | 33 || 34 |   |      | 0v      |     |     |

 |  19 |  24 | GPIO.24 | ALT0 | 0 | 35 || 36 | 0 | IN   | GPIO.27 | 27  | 16  |

 |  26 |  25 | GPIO.25 |   IN | 0 | 37 || 38 | 0 | ALT0 | GPIO.28 | 28  | 20  |

 |     |     |      0v |      |   | 39 || 40 | 0 | ALT0 | GPIO.29 | 29  | 21  |

 +-----+-----+---------+------+---+----++----+---+------+---------+-----+-----+

 | BCM | wPi |   Name  | Mode | V | Physical | V | Mode | Name    | wPi | BCM |

 +-----+-----+---------+------+---+---Pi 3+--+---+------+---------+-----+-----+

Re: DRAWS downloadable Image? #setup #compassimage #draws #earlyadopters

Brian Badger
 

Perhaps I wasn’t clear.  My problem isn’t the type of power connector, but the fact that it bends the joints when connecting and disconnecting.

My pigtail now has soldered powerpole connectors and a beefy layer of shrink tubing.


On Nov 29, 2018, at 10:50 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:



On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 9:00 PM Brian Badger <brian@...> wrote:
The muting is great for packet but once we get fldigi working I’m going to need that RX audio to find signals.  If we can’t do it in software then I’ll have to savage one of these cables to inline a switch.

I find the waterfall on fldigi and wsjt-x work better than my ears for finding signals.

All in all, very happy with draws so far.  The only complaint I have is the power connector.  Hopefully once I get a case built I’ll be able to mount a proper one on it (5mm barrel or powerpole)

The idea of the pigtail is to be able to put whatever you want on the other end.  The 9-15 VDC input to the pigtail is the better way to power the DRAWS Hat and Pi, but they can also be powered off the 5.1 VDC 2.5+ A microUSB port on the Pi.

 
Brian N0KZ



--


John D. Hays
Edmonds, WA
K7VE

   

Re: Setting up your DRAWS™ GPS #draws #gpsd #gps #setup

David [kg5eiu]
 

I made those few changes and up and working great!!!  

Re: Building Fldigi

 


Use a converter cable for your rig (CI-V, CAT, etc.) plugged into one of the USB ports on the Pi.
_._,

>>

... And encourage the NWDR folks to add the 3 or so resistors needed to DRAWS on the next rev so it will also have the CTT/CI-V cable functionality.

Bill, wa7nwp


Building Fldigi and Flrig for DRAWS #fldigi #draws

 

While the beta image is being prepared, I recommend the directions  at http://www.kk5jy.net/fldigi-build/ for building fldigi and flrig.  I have done this build and it works fine on the left DIN-6 port.

Use a converter cable for your rig (CI-V, CAT, etc.) plugged into one of the USB ports on the Pi.

Re: DRAWS downloadable Image? #setup #compassimage #draws #earlyadopters

 



On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 9:00 PM Brian Badger <brian@...> wrote:
The muting is great for packet but once we get fldigi working I’m going to need that RX audio to find signals.  If we can’t do it in software then I’ll have to savage one of these cables to inline a switch.

I find the waterfall on fldigi and wsjt-x work better than my ears for finding signals.

All in all, very happy with draws so far.  The only complaint I have is the power connector.  Hopefully once I get a case built I’ll be able to mount a proper one on it (5mm barrel or powerpole)

The idea of the pigtail is to be able to put whatever you want on the other end.  The 9-15 VDC input to the pigtail is the better way to power the DRAWS Hat and Pi, but they can also be powered off the 5.1 VDC 2.5+ A microUSB port on the Pi.

 
Brian N0KZ



--


John D. Hays
Edmonds, WA
K7VE