UDRC II Telemetry Application #udrc-ii

DAVID BASHAM <davidcbasham@...>

I plan to use the UDRC II with Direwolf to send river level height information in a APRS telemetry packet.  The river height will be measured with a Maxbotix Ultrasonic sensor.  I plan to use the Raspberry Pi pin 10 (RXDO) to read in the sensor data.  I also plan to use Pi pin 18 (IO24) and Pi pin 15 (IO22) to turn on power to the ultrasonic sensor and a handy talkie respectively.  This will be a battery operated system and I plan to have power to the radio and sensor only when needed.  In review of the UDRC II data sheet, I don't see any conflicts with this setup.  Am I missing anything?  Also does the Direwolf/UDRC II combo work satisfactorily with Pi Zero or Zero W (motivated by power savings)?  I welcome any guidance.  Thanks,  Dave AE7RD

Basil Gunn

Hi David,

I plan to use the UDRC II with Direwolf to send river level height
information in a APRS telemetry packet.  The river height will be
measured with a Maxbotix Ultrasonic sensor.
  I plan to use Raspberry Pi gpio:
pin 10 (RXDO) to read in the sensor data.
pin 18 (IO24)
pin 15 (IO22) to turn on power to the ultrasonic sensor
and a handy talkie respectively. This will be a
battery operated system and I plan to have power to the radio and
sensor only when needed.  In review of the UDRC II data sheet, I
don't see any conflicts with this setup.
See UDRC data sheet here:
http://nwdigitalradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/UDRC-IIDS.pdf

Look at the HD15F & Mini DIN-6 pinouts.

These pins are in conflict.
pin 18 IO24
pin 15 IO22

I recently used some sensors with a UDRC II and found these pins
AVAILABLE:

The UART pins:

Gnd 6
TxD 8
RxD 10

ALSO these general purpose IOs:

pin 36 IO16
pin 11 IO17

  Am I missing anything?
Also does the Direwolf/UDRC II combo work satisfactorily with Pi Zero
or Zero W (motivated by power savings)?
I have have no experience with the Zero & Zero W.
I believe ARM v6 Raspberry Pi's are not supported. Read the bottom of
this page:

http://nwdigitalradio.com/product/udrc/

/Basil n7nix

DAVID BASHAM <davidcbasham@...>

Thanks Basil. I will try your suggested pins. I saw the Squelch and PTT on both connectors but did not see that the 15 pin connector used a few more IO pins. I don't plan to use the 15 pin connector in my application and it would have been nice to use some of those IO pins as they are more accessible. Oh well, you can't get everything you want (but you get what you need). I think there is a Rolling Stone song along that line.
Thanks again, Dave

[...]

If you’re not using the 15 pin connector for a DR-1X, the following 3.3V I/Os are available:

IO6
IO22
IO24
IO25

These are preferable to the other Pi IOs, as they are easier to access externally and have ESD protection.

Bryan

On Mar 17, 2018, at 12:46 AM, DAVID BASHAM <davidcbasham@...> wrote:

Thanks Basil.  I will try your suggested pins.  I saw the Squelch and PTT on both connectors but did not see that the 15 pin connector used  a few more IO pins.  I don't plan to use the 15 pin connector in my application and it would have been nice to use some of those IO pins as they are more accessible.   Oh well, you can't get everything you want (but you get what you need).  I think there is a Rolling Stone song along that line.
Thanks again,  Dave

DAVID BASHAM <davidcbasham@...>

Thanks Bryan,
The beauty of that is that I may be able to use the 15 pin connector for the interface to my transistor/relay circuit.  I already wanted to provide power to the Pi/UDRC via the connectors 12 volt pin.  If I can get the UART line to the connector then everything can come in and out view the 15 pin connector.  I will need to dig in a little deeper as I'm not sure if I have to undo any declarations for those pins by any other process (not sure if that is a issue one has to deal with or not).  Thanks for the suggestion.
Dave