Gordon Munck <Gordonmunck@...>

Thank you, John.  Looks like fun!

Gordon

On Apr 12, 2018, at 10:27 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

By WB7FHC -- Budd Churchward

Short Version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65RONF37svw

Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...>

Seems like a pretty easy/simple build... but I have zero idea what's actually going on after the build is finished...

How do you connect it to your radio?

What is he transmitting/receiving?

A lot of the digital mode videos seem to start after the radio is connected and go over the software.  I haven't figured out yet what kind of radio I need or how to hook up after I have it.

On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 10:47 AM, Gordon Munck <Gordonmunck@...> wrote:
Thank you, John.  Looks like fun!

Gordon

On Apr 12, 2018, at 10:27 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

By WB7FHC -- Budd Churchward

Short Version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65RONF37svw

I haven't figured out yet what kind of radio I need

That's a good question and even after all these years that's still the
big problem. While there are some good'ish radios they are expensive
and which they are is not well defined.

It also depends on what you want to do... APRS, HF, Higher Speed data...

25 years ago we had the Kantronics D4-10 for 9600 baud to 19200 baud.
It used crystals and was about $1000 is 2018 dollars.

Today we have the Kenwood TH-D710 for $600

Others are around $300. https://groups.io/g/nwaprs/wiki/Radios-for-Packet

Maybe SDR will be the answer.

73,
Bill, WA7NWP

Chris - KC9AD

Hi Steve,

I am a real Digi-Pi noob, but I, and several of my local ham colleagues are using the Digi-Pi for FSQ mode comms. We use the Fldigi software running under Linux on the Pi. FSQ is a very low speed chat mode, keyboard to keyboard, that we use on VHF FM simplex, 145.580 MHz. To address your specific question, I am using a Kenwood TM-V7 dual band mobile radio; it has a mini-DIN-6 “data” connector on the front panel. Elsewhere, we are using a Yaesu FT-8900R; it has a mini-DIN-6 connector on the back panel. So, the UDRC (aka the modem), is connected to the radio data port using a straight-thru cable with a male mini-DIN-6 on each end. You can order that cable as an option with your UDRC-II. Other radios can use different connectors, like maybe a DB-9, so you might need a different cable. The UDRC has two radio port: a mini-DIN-6 connector and a DB-9. You select the one you want in the Fldigi configuration menu. Once the radio is connected, it is controlled by the software. So, you type a line of text and, when you hit enter, the UDRC turns on the PTT and transmits your message via the radio.

I realize that there’s a lot more to it, but hopefully this adds to your understanding. 73.

Chris Doutre KC9AD

Seems like a pretty easy/simple build... but I have zero idea what's actually going on after the build is finished..

How do you connect it to your radio?

What is he transmitting/receiving?

A lot of the digital mode videos seem to start after the radio is connected and go over the software.  I haven't figured out yet what kind of radio I need or how to hook up after I have it.

On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 10:47 AM, Gordon Munck <Gordonmunck@...> wrote:

Thank you, John.  Looks like fun!

Gordon

On Apr 12, 2018, at 10:27 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

By WB7FHC -- Budd Churchward

Short Version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65RONF37svw

Image removed by sender. Image removed by sender. Image removed by sender. Image removed by sender.

On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 9:46 AM, Chris Doutre <c.doutre@...> wrote:

 The UDRC has two radio port: a mini-DIN-6 connector and a DB-9.

Just for clarification, the second connector is an HD-15 rather than a DB-9.  The UDRC/UDRC-II has this port specifically to support connection to a Yaesu DR-1X repeater adding D-STAR capabilities to the repeater, however in the UDRC-II it also can be wired for a second radio.

Boards are available.  NW Digital Radio has a new generation board in design that will host 2 mini DIN-6 ports.   Also a variant of the new design will have a low powered, integrated radio (VHF or UHF TBD) and a single mini DIN-6.

Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...>

Thanks for the list, I'm checking those out now.  That seems to narrow it down to the FT-891 or the IC-706*.  I have a 706MKII here, and everything seems to work but the speaker output (any radio signal speaker output, status beeps are fine)... so it might work with a data cable and some software.

I haven't found an SDR that will transmit yet...

On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 11:29 AM, Bill Vodall <wa7nwp@...> wrote:
> I haven't figured out yet what kind of radio I need

That's a good question and even after all these years that's still the
big problem.   While there are some good'ish radios they are expensive
and which they are is not well defined.

It also depends on what you want to do...   APRS, HF, Higher Speed data...

25 years ago we had the Kantronics D4-10 for 9600 baud to 19200 baud.
It used crystals and was about $1000 is 2018 dollars.

Today we have the Kenwood TH-D710 for $600

Others are around $300.   https://groups.io/g/nwaprs/wiki/Radios-for-Packet

Maybe SDR will be the answer.

73,
Bill, WA7NWP

Chris - KC9AD

Oops! Thank you John. I guess I was asleep for that part of the discussion.

I guess I could at least mention the website: http://nwdigitalradio.com/

73.

Chris KC9AD

 The UDRC has two radio port: a mini-DIN-6 connector and a DB-9.

Just for clarification, the second connector is an HD-15 rather than a DB-9.  The UDRC/UDRC-II has this port specifically to support connection to a Yaesu DR-1X repeater adding D-STAR capabilities to the repeater, however in the UDRC-II it also can be wired for a second radio.

Boards are available.  NW Digital Radio has a new generation board in design that will host 2 mini DIN-6 ports.   Also a variant of the new design will have a low powered, integrated radio (VHF or UHF TBD) and a single mini DIN-6.

Image removed by sender. Image removed by sender. Image removed by sender. Image removed by sender.

Bernard f6bvp / ai7bg

Hi Steve,

Being involved into an EME project with a 10m dish radiotelescope antenna in Paris (France), we are considering using a LimeSDR mini TRX available for 139$ + 10$ shipping.

https://www.crowdsupply.com/lime-micro/limesdr-mini

Device is supported by http://www.sdr-radio.com/Radios/LimeSDR

You may browse the web for "Raspberry & LimeSDR" and will be surprised by the number of projects involved from AMSAT to Ham TV.

73 de Bernard, f6bvp