Topics

1k2 APRS via Satellite successful

K4KDR

Hi everyone.  Just wanted to share that I was able to get digipeated this morning via satellite "AISAT-1" as it passed over the U.S. East Coast.

With an FT-857d connected to the DRAWS & up/down freqs being controlled via CAT from GPredict, Direwolf served as the packet modem.  The "beacon" command that is part of ax25-tools allows you to send payload text of your choice from the Pi.  I just have a number of scripts as clickable icons containing the strings I want as properly formatted APRS "text", "position", & "message" type packets.

Of course the UISS program on Windows is more capable, but sometimes we have to make compromises or do things differently on the Pi.

Here is a tweet with screen shots:

https://twitter.com/scott23192/status/1167834188822777858

-Scott,  K4KDR

======

Basil Gunn

Scott,

Great to hear your success!! Motivates me to play with my projects! I
have a nice 9600 baud demo with DRAWS using P2P paclink-unix that I'll
be showing at Summer Gathering next weekend.
[https://lowervalleyassembly.us/tag/summer-gathering/]

/Basil

K4KDR <@K4KDR> writes:

Hi everyone. Just wanted to share that I was able to get digipeated
this morning via satellite "AISAT-1" as it passed over the U.S. East
Coast.

With an FT-857d connected to the DRAWS & up/down freqs being
controlled via CAT from GPredict, Direwolf served as the packet
modem. The "beacon" command that is part of ax25-tools allows you to
send payload text of your choice from the Pi. I just have a number of
scripts as clickable icons containing the strings I want as properly
formatted APRS "text", "position", & "message" type packets.

Of course the UISS program on Windows is more capable, but sometimes
we have to make compromises or do things differently on the Pi.

Here is a tweet with screen shots:

https://twitter.com/scott23192/status/1167834188822777858

-Scott, K4KDR

K4KDR

Sounds great, Basil!

We currently have 9600 APRS available with satellite FalconSat-3, so I'll give that a try when there's a favorable pass.  With the volume of cubesats being deployed these days, hopefully there will be more with 2-way 9600 capability soon.

-Scott