Topics

UDRC serial console pins and kermel question...

bill K7WXW

I am adding a header to the UDRC-II for access to the Pi serial console and GPIO pins. I plan on adding GPS. I looked at the UDRC-II spec sheet. It does not seem to be using the serial console or clock pins (GP14, 15, and 18). Are those pins free or did I miss something?

Second (set of) question: what's the relationship between compass and raspbian linux? which version of raspian linux (now on stretch) is compass based on? other than incorporating the TI chip driver into the kernel (not a small task!), what other changes have been made?

thx and 73 de bill K7WXW

Basil Gunn

I am adding a header to the UDRC-II for access to the Pi serial
console and GPIO pins. I plan on adding GPS.
The easiest thing to do is just buy a USB GPS device. I use this one:
https://www.amazon.com/GlobalSat-BU-353-S4-USB-Receiver-Black/dp/B008200LHW/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1

I looked at the UDRC-II
spec sheet. It does not seem to be using the serial console or clock
pins (GP14, 15, and 18). Are those pins free or did I miss something?
I recently added some sensors to an RPi with a UDRC

I refer to the UDRC II schematic here:
http://nwdigitalradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/UDRC-IIDS.pdf
I refer to the RPi header pinout here:
https://pinout.xyz/

The console serial port uses the following pins. Since I usually run
headless I use these frequently:

Hdr BCM
8 14 TxD
10 15 RxD
6 Gnd

Looking at the schematic these IO pins are not used & available:

Hdr BCM wPi
36 16 gpio.27
11 17 gpio. 0
9 Gnd

Since I don't connect a Yaesu Fusion to the HD 15 connector I believe
these GPIO pins are also free:

Hdr BCM
15 22
16 23
18 24
13 27

These Pins are used for PTT on each connector
Connector Pin
mDin6 BCM 23
HD15 BCM 12

Second (set of) question: what's the relationship between compass and
raspbian linux?
Compass is based on Raspbian with the kernel drivers for:
tlv320aic32x4_i2c
tlv320aic32x4
udrc
There are other things baked into the Compass image like setting up the
locale for the keyboard.

which version of raspian linux (now on stretch) is
compass based on?
Get the sysver.sh script from here & run it:
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/systemd/bin/sysver.sh

You will see the latest Compass kernel in Wilderness is based on
Raspbian GNU/Linux 9.4 (stretch)

other than incorporating the TI chip driver into the
kernel (not a small task!), what other changes have been made?
I'm not sure you will have to ask Anna.

/Basil

Bill,

Are you planning to support PPS on your GPS?  If so, we are doing a new board (NetTNC/DRAWS) which has a GPS with PPS and it would be advisable to use the same GPIO pin on PPS for consistency.

Basil addressed current Compass.  There is work going on to have a newer Compass with some updates and a package repository, the newer version will have a package that can be installed on mainstream, current Raspbian, but it is some weeks out.

On Sun, Jun 17, 2018 at 1:35 PM, bill <K7WXW@...> wrote:
I am adding a header to the UDRC-II for access to the Pi serial console and GPIO pins. I plan on adding GPS. I looked at the UDRC-II spec sheet. It does not seem to be using the serial console or clock pins (GP14, 15, and 18). Are those pins free or did I miss something?

Second (set of) question: what's the relationship between compass and raspbian linux? which version of raspian linux (now on stretch) is compass based on? other than incorporating the TI chip driver into the kernel (not a small task!), what other changes have been made?

thx and 73 de bill K7WXW

Director

bill K7WXW

Basil,

Thanks for the info. Yes, a USB stick would be easier but the added jitter to the GPS stream makes it unusable as an NTP server, which is the application. The breakout board I use needs the serial i/o and one GPIO pin. I think the RTC needs on GPIO pin but I have to check. I am stacking an RTC and GPS on top of the UDRC to make a time and email server. It will run headless.

73 de bill

______________
brevity is beautiful.

June 18, 2018 at 8:19 AM
[...]

You may want to look at https://www.adafruit.com/product/2324 it has the RTC and GPS with PPS on a single board.  I use one dedicated as a Stratum 1 NTP server on my LAN (sans the UDRC).

If you have a bit of time, then an integrated equivalent of the UDRC + GPS w/PPS + RTC is in the works.

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 9:36 AM, bill <K7WXW@...> wrote:
[...]

John,

Thanks for the pointer.  A UDRC with GPS, etc will be a good upgrade. I will get this version up and running and use it until that's available. When do you think it will be out?

73 de bill

______________
brevity is beautiful.

John D. Hays wrote on 6/18/18 10:15 AM:

Bill,

You may want to look at https://www.adafruit.com/product/2324 it has the RTC and GPS with PPS on a single board.  I use one dedicated as a Stratum 1 NTP server on my LAN (sans the UDRC).

If you have a bit of time, then an integrated equivalent of the UDRC + GPS w/PPS + RTC is in the works.

This summer.

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 10:41 AM, bill K7WXW <K7WXW@...> wrote:
John,

Thanks for the pointer.  A UDRC with GPS, etc will be a good upgrade. I will get this version up and running and use it until that's available. When do you think it will be out?

73 de bill

brevity is beautiful.

John D. Hays wrote on 6/18/18 10:15 AM:
Bill,

You may want to look at https://www.adafruit.com/product/2324 it has the RTC and GPS with PPS on a single board.  I use one dedicated as a Stratum 1 NTP server on my LAN (sans the UDRC).

If you have a bit of time, then an integrated equivalent of the UDRC + GPS w/PPS + RTC is in the works.

bill K7WXW

John - yes. In the prototype I use the PPS to discipline the GPS stream for a Stratum 1 NTP server.  I am not using pin 4 now (because I chose a GPIO pin that let me put all of the signals on one connector) but it is easy to change the assignment to match your new board.

Basil's posts were quite helpful. Since everything I do is always a prototype, I am okay with building what I am building knowing that I may change it when the underlying OS software changes. That said, a package that can be installed on the current Raspbian release is an excellent idea!

Thanks - Bill K7WXW