Topics

Pi 3b to 3b+?

Art - KC7SDA

So has anyone gotten a 3b+ and tried plugging in their sd card from their 3b and gotten the wifi to work? I'm looking through some of the boards to find  a solution, one was to use rpi-update (which doesn't work in compass), I've run update/upgrade several times, tried installing firmware-brcm80211 (which is the latest version).

any other suggestions? Has anyone tried a fresh install with a 3b+?

Right now everything else works on the pi (the UDRC, the usb ports, and the LAN port), bluetooth works. I'd like to get the wifi working w/o having to do a reinstall as a lot of people here in whatcom county have UDRC setups and if they want to do an upgrade they would probably like a (more or less) plug-n-play solution than to do a complete reinstall.

73
Art

Check the email threads about the time the 3b+ came out. You have to
update all the way on the 3b before it will work on the 3b+. Best
just to start with a new image - IMHO.

On Sat, Aug 18, 2018 at 1:29 PM Art - KC7SDA <@nouse4anick> wrote:

So has anyone gotten a 3b+ and tried plugging in their sd card from their 3b and gotten the wifi to work? I'm looking through some of the boards to find a solution, one was to use rpi-update (which doesn't work in compass), I've run update/upgrade several times, tried installing firmware-brcm80211 (which is the latest version).

any other suggestions? Has anyone tried a fresh install with a 3b+?

Right now everything else works on the pi (the UDRC, the usb ports, and the LAN port), bluetooth works. I'd like to get the wifi working w/o having to do a reinstall as a lot of people here in whatcom county have UDRC setups and if they want to do an upgrade they would probably like a (more or less) plug-n-play solution than to do a complete reinstall.

73
Art

Art - KC7SDA

I thought I had updated a few weeks ago all the way but it still doesn't work, maybe I'm missing something? loading of some driver or a reinstall of the wireless driver?

I might just do a new image for the group up here, I believe most of my fixes in my scripts will still work, I'll give it a week and then try it.... no big deal that it doesn't work right now.

73
Art

So has anyone gotten a 3b+ and tried plugging in their sd card from their 3b and gotten the wifi to work? I'm looking through some of the boards to find a solution, one was to use rpi-update (which doesn't work in compass), I've run update/upgrade several times, tried installing firmware-brcm80211 (which is the latest version).

any other suggestions? Has anyone tried a fresh install with a 3b+?
From a Mar 17, 2018 posting to the wetnet list:

- NOTE #1: If you're going to use a Rpi 3B+, your version of
Raspbian has to be newer than 2018-03-13 or it won't boot (older
versions will see 8 flashes at the rainbow screen and stop there)
--

So, put the SD card back in your previous Raspberry Pi (assuming it's
running Stretch and it has Internet access), and do:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo rpi-update
sudo /sbin/shutdown -r now

Make sure things come back up ok and if they do, again, move the SD
card over to the 3B+ and hopefully it will boot up A-OK.

--David
KI6ZHD

Art - KC7SDA

ok, so I did a bit of searching and got the following info as the upgrade/dist-upgrade and rpi-update didn't give me anything:
- uname -a gave me kernal version 4.9.80-v7+  #1 SMP Thu Mar 29 09:24:44 PDT 2018 armv7l GNU/Linux
- lsb_release - a gave me Raspbian release 8.0 codename jessie

So, my guess is that some how the driver just isn't loading or erroring out, I'm going to look at the boot logs to see whats going on here in a minute but I doubt that will give me anything useful right now

73
Art

Art - KC7SDA

well i confirmed that its not a defective pi....just did a new image of raspbian and it works.... so I'll do a bit more research

Bernard f6bvp / ai7bg

Did you download and install Compas Linux ?
It includes now an automatic update of UDRC driver that works great with Direwolf after apt-get upgrade RPi-update that are now accepted and doing fine.

73 de Bernard f6bvp

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le 19 août 2018 à 19:32, Art - KC7SDA <nouse4anick@...> a écrit :

well i confirmed that its not a defective pi....just did a new image of raspbian and it works.... so I'll do a bit more research

Annaliese McDermond

You are on the wrong distro on both Compass and Rasbian. These are very rough instructions, but should work okay.

1) In /etc/apt/sources.list.d/raspi.list, change the word “jessie” to “stretch” wherever you see it.
2) In /etc/apt/sources.list, change the word “jessie” to “stretch” wherever you see it.
3) In /etc/apt/sources.list.d/compass.list change the word “alder” to “cedar”
4) Remove the file /etc/apt/preferences.d/compass
5) Execute the command “apt-get update”
6) Execute the command “apt-get dist-upgrade”

This should update your older distro to the newest Stretch based image that will have the proper firmware to boot a Raspberry Pi 3B+. Note that I have *not* tested this and that this procedure is from memory.

--
Annaliese McDermond (NH6Z)
Xenotropic Systems

Art - KC7SDA

I'll give those a try, i figured i had to increment the distro at some point but usually my xubuntu rig would do it for me... maybe future feature for compass?

Art - KC7SDA

this is my orginal install I did a long time ago, I've been patching and updating it as I'm only one of a small few in my area really knowlegable in linux and have the time to go searching for answers and work-arounds for issues... I'm also developing a script for my group that updates and patches any issues we find or crop up and allows the members to build the FLDIGI suite from the source whenever a new one comes out.

Art - KC7SDA

Ok, so that worked, my wifi is back now....

HOWEVER... new(ish) problem: the udrc isn't recognized as a sound card, I'm going to play around with it for a bit... i think that the driver might have gotten uninstalled or left behind during the upgrade.

for the record here is the output from running ./sysver.sh:

----- /proc/version
Linux version 4.14.62-v7+ (dc4@dc4-XPS13-9333) (gcc version 4.9.3 (crosstool-NG crosstool-ng-1.22.0-88-g8460611)) #1134 SMP Tue Aug 14 17:10:10 BST 2018
----- /etc/*version
9.4
----- /etc/*release
PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)"
NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="9"
VERSION="9 (stretch)"
ID=raspbian
ID_LIKE=debian
HOME_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/"
SUPPORT_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianForums"
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianBugs"
----- lsb_release
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:    Raspbian
Release:    9.4
Codename:    stretch
---- systemd
   Static hostname: KC7SDA
         Icon name: computer
        Machine ID: (you guys don't need to see that)
           Boot ID: (you guys don't need to see that)
  Operating System: Raspbian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)
            Kernel: Linux 4.14.62-v7+
      Architecture: arm
----- direwolf
 ver: Dire Wolf version 1.4

Art - KC7SDA

well... i tried to install the udrc-dkms module and got this:
DKMS: install completed.
Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.6.1-2) ...
Setting up linux-kbuild-3.6 (3.6-1~experimental.1+rpi2+b2) ...
Setting up udrc-support (1.0) ...
Setting up linux-headers-3.6-trunk-rpi (3.6.9-1~experimental.1+rpi7) ...
Examining /etc/kernel/header_postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/header_postinst.d/dkms 3.6-trunk-rpi
Error!  The dkms.conf for this module includes a BUILD_EXCLUSIVE directive which
does not match this kernel/arch.  This indicates that it should not be built.
however I rebooted and it now appears to work... i guess... i'm still experimenting but changing the version manually apparently did the trick!

Art

Bernard f6bvp / ai7bg

Hi Annaliese,

Following your indications did not make it, as kernel headers version was reported missing for the last kernel 4.14.69.
I had however a success after doing apt-get remove raspberry-kernel-headers then apt autoremove and then apt-get install raspberry-kernel-header
After that apt-get install udrc-dkms successfully built the module for present kernel.
After reboot, udrc module was listed with lsmod and aplay -l could find udrc card.
Many thanks for providing such a convenient way for upgrading udrc module following a kernel change.

Dr Bernard Pidoux, F6BVP
Dimension Parabole
http://radiotelescope-lavillette.fr