Topics

self-contained DRAWS Workstation

Didier <on4byv@...>

Hello,

any availability estimate for the self-contained DRAWS Workstation (HAT, Raspberry Pi, case & SW)?

73,

Didier

Demetre - M0SUY (SV1UY) <demetre.sv1uy@...>

Really it would be self contained only if it allowed a 3.5 touch screen to be plugged on top of Draws as a Hat and even better if it came in a dedicated box preferably with a 5 volt battery inside the box.

The way it is now, you need so many cables and this is far from suitable for portable operating!

I hope the makers will think about it in the next version.

---
73 de Demetre SV1UY/M0SUY

On Wed, 21 Nov 2018, 18:27 Didier <on4byv@... wrote:

Hello,

any availability estimate for the self-contained DRAWS Workstation (HAT, Raspberry Pi, case & SW)?

73,

Didier

Brian Badger

Demetre,

It is so very cool to run into you again after 20 years.  Regarding your description below, if you don’t mind I’d like to tell you how I have done this with my HF portable rig.

I never touch my Pi or radio at all while operating digital modes.  Instead I host a WiFi hotspot on the Pi that is always running and hidden away in my rig backpack.   I connect to WiFi with my phone and bring up the interface either with http, ssh or VNC tunnelled over ssh (depending on the app).

For example:
Pat : http, or ssh
Arim/ardop: ssh (works really well)
Fldigi: VNC or ssh+nc to the telnet port.  I also have a script that starts fldigi in wefax mode and tunes the rig for hands free operation.
Flrig: VNC
Hamlib scripts to automatically configure the rig for each mode: ssh or VNC with .desktop icons
Direwolf: ssh to stop and start
YACC: VNC

A typical operation sequence would be.

1) connect to WiFi
2) connect to Pi using ssh
3) run script radio_on.sh
4) run script direwolf30m.sh
5) disconnect

This could be automated with a webpage, but this works just as well for me, and for most operations it is as easy to use as sending an email with your phone.

Brian N0KZ

On Nov 21, 2018, at 12:40 PM, Demetre - M0SUY (SV1UY) <demetre.sv1uy@...> wrote:

Really it would be self contained only if it allowed a 3.5 touch screen to be plugged on top of Draws as a Hat and even better if it came in a dedicated box preferably with a 5 volt battery inside the box.

The way it is now, you need so many cables and this is far from suitable for portable operating!

I hope the makers will think about it in the next version.

---
73 de Demetre SV1UY/M0SUY

On Wed, 21 Nov 2018, 18:27 Didier <on4byv@... wrote:

Hello,

any availability estimate for the self-contained DRAWS Workstation (HAT, Raspberry Pi, case & SW)?

73,

Didier

Demetre - M0SUY (SV1UY) <demetre.sv1uy@...>

Hi Brian,

Nice to see you too.

As for the Draws RPi hat, I was actually trying to avoid VNC because you need another computer or your mobile phone to run VNC.
Really I would like to use only one computer when portable (i.e. only the RPi or my mobile phone) not another computer as well in order to control the RPi.
If I have to use a mobile phone or tablet I can use a Wolphilink Interface with my mobile phone or 8 inch Winbook, so the RPi is not needed and I can save a lot of battery power this way!
Battery power is not to be wasted while portable!

At least this is the way I would like it done! Others have their own ideas and are respected!

Thanks for the reply!

---
73 de Demetre - M0SUY/SV1UY
e-mail: demetre.sv1uy@...
WINLINK Radio e-mail: sv1uy@...
WINLINK Radio e-mail: m0suy@...
WEB: http://www.qsl.net/sv1uy

On Wed, 21 Nov 2018 at 20:26, Brian Badger <brian@...> wrote:
[...]

Robert Sears

I did this with the UDRC2

https://www.facebook.com/robert.sears.7/media_set?set=a.10213833593502283&type=3

I think the same will work for the DRAWS.

Gayland Gump

Robert the link you shared doesn't seem to be working.

Gayland
KG7GCF

On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 10:31 AM Robert Sears <kf7vop@...> wrote:
I did this with the UDRC2

https://www.facebook.com/robert.sears.7/media_set?set=a.10213833593502283&type=3

I think the same will work for the DRAWS.

Not visible.

On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 10:31 AM Robert Sears <kf7vop@...> wrote:
I did this with the UDRC2

https://www.facebook.com/robert.sears.7/media_set?set=a.10213833593502283&type=3

I think the same will work for the DRAWS.

Budd Churchward

The link has worked just fine for me both times that I have tried it. Perhaps you have to be signed on to Facebook to see it ????

Budd

Sent: Friday, November 23, 2018 12:20 PM
Subject: Re: [udrc] self-contained DRAWS Workstation

Robert the link you shared doesn't seem to be working.

Gayland
KG7GCF

On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 10:31 AM Robert Sears <kf7vop@...> wrote:
I did this with the UDRC2

https://www.facebook.com/robert.sears.7/media_set?set=a.10213833593502283&type=3

I think the same will work for the DRAWS.

Gayland Gump

If that's the case then I probably won't see it.

Gayland
KG7GCF

Sent: Friday, November 23, 2018 12:20 PM

Robert the link you shared doesn't seem to be working.

Gayland
KG7GCF

On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 10:31 AM Robert Sears <kf7vop@...> wrote:
I did this with the UDRC2

https://www.facebook.com/robert.sears.7/media_set?set=a.10213833593502283&type=3

I think the same will work for the DRAWS.

August Johnson KG7BZ

I'm signed into Facebook and get this:

urdc.jpg

August KG7BZ

Sent: Friday, November 23, 2018 12:20 PM

Robert the link you shared doesn't seem to be working.

Gayland
KG7GCF

On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 10:31 AM Robert Sears <kf7vop@...> wrote:
I did this with the UDRC2

https://www.facebook.com/robert.sears.7/media_set?set=a.10213833593502283&type=3

I think the same will work for the DRAWS.

Dave Christensen

I am signed on to Facebook and it doesn’t work for me.  This is what I get:

Sorry, this content isn't available right now

The link you followed may have expired, or the page may only be visible to an audience you're not in.

Sent: Friday, November 23, 2018 12:20 PM

Robert the link you shared doesn't seem to be working.

Gayland

KG7GCF

On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 10:31 AM Robert Sears <kf7vop@...> wrote:

I did this with the UDRC2

https://www.facebook.com/robert.sears.7/media_set?set=a.10213833593502283&type=3

I think the same will work for the DRAWS.

Budd Churchward

My guess is that Robert needs to make the posting public ... I am on his Friends list and the page works fine for me.

Budd WB7FHC

Sent: Friday, November 23, 2018 12:20 PM

Robert the link you shared doesn't seem to be working.

Gayland
KG7GCF

On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 10:31 AM Robert Sears <kf7vop@...> wrote:
I did this with the UDRC2

https://www.facebook.com/robert.sears.7/media_set?set=a.10213833593502283&type=3

I think the same will work for the DRAWS.

Robert Sears

LOL oops anyway here's a  few pics