Topics

ERROR ON gps

Tim Carroll <tcarroll4@...>

Gpsd:ERROR : device open of /dev/ttySC0/dev/pps0 failed:not a directory-retrying read only

Gpsd:ERROR : read only device open of /dev/ttySC0/dev/pps0 failed:not a directory

Gpsd:ERROR :initial GPS device  /dev/ttySC0/dev/pps0  open failed

So not sure what going on.

Any suggestions?

Thank's
Tim
KE4HGP

Annaliese McDermond

You’re missing a space. It should be /dev/ttySC0 /dev/pps0

On Dec 3, 2018, at 5:09 PM, Tim Carroll <tcarroll4@cox.net> wrote:

Gpsd:ERROR : device open of /dev/ttySC0/dev/pps0 failed:not a directory-retrying read only
Gpsd:ERROR : read only device open of /dev/ttySC0/dev/pps0 failed:not a directory
Gpsd:ERROR :initial GPS device /dev/ttySC0/dev/pps0 open failed

Any suggestions?

Thank's
Tim
KE4HGP
--
Annaliese McDermond (NH6Z)
nh6z@nh6z.net

Not sure if I follow you on missing a space,it looks as though all letters are correct but not sure about space.Linux is new to me,a challenge brings back the old DOS days.But I am persistent.
Thank You
Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io <udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Annaliese McDermond
Sent: Monday, December 3, 2018 8:41 PM
To: udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [udrc] ERROR ON gps

You’re missing a space. It should be /dev/ttySC0 /dev/pps0

On Dec 3, 2018, at 5:09 PM, Tim Carroll <tcarroll4@cox.net> wrote:

Gpsd:ERROR : device open of /dev/ttySC0/dev/pps0 failed:not a
directory-retrying read only Gpsd:ERROR : read only device open of
/dev/ttySC0/dev/pps0 failed:not a directory Gpsd:ERROR :initial GPS
device /dev/ttySC0/dev/pps0 open failed

Any suggestions?

Thank's
Tim
KE4HGP
--
nh6z@nh6z.net

VE3MIC

Hi Tim,  Annaliese is saying that there should be a space   /dev/ttySC0 /dev/pps0   NOT   /dev/ttySC0/dev/pps0

73 de Mike

On Monday, December 3, 2018, 8:41:32 p.m. GMT-5, Annaliese McDermond <nh6z@...> wrote:

You’re missing a space.  It should be /dev/ttySC0 /dev/pps0

> On Dec 3, 2018, at 5:09 PM, Tim Carroll <tcarroll4@...> wrote:
>
> Gpsd:ERROR : device open of /dev/ttySC0/dev/pps0 failed:not a directory-retrying read only
> Gpsd:ERROR : read only device open of /dev/ttySC0/dev/pps0 failed:not a directory
> Gpsd:ERROR :initial GPS device  /dev/ttySC0/dev/pps0  open failed
>
> So not sure what going on.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thank's
> Tim
> KE4HGP
>

--
nh6z@...

Joseph Vilardo

Tim

The first thing you need to do after burning the compass image and booting the Pi for the first time is to edit the config.txt file:

$ sudo nano /boot/config.txt

go to the bottom of the file and change the last line dtoverlay=udrc to dtoverlay=draws  save the changes

Then reboot and look here $ cd /dev  then $ ls you should see a long list look for ttySC0 and pps0

ttySC0 is for the gps serial port and pps0 is for the pulse per second.

Somewhere in the flood of emails for early adopters K7VE has details of the above, I think it is message 2023 11/23/18

Good luck,

Joe K3JV

On 12/3/2018 8:09 PM, Tim Carroll wrote:

Any suggestions?

Thank's
Tim
KE4HGP

I have done that too so will keep plugging along till I get it.If not just have to back with lap top and sound sard if all else fails
Thanks

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 12/3/18 9:06 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [udrc] ERROR ON gps

Tim

The first thing you need to do after burning the compass image and booting the Pi for the first time is to edit the config.txt file:

go to the bottom of the file and change the last line dtoverlay=udrc to dtoverlay=draws  save the changes

Then reboot and look here $ cd /dev  then $ ls you should see a long list look for ttySC0 and pps0

Somewhere in the flood of emails for early adopters K7VE has details of the above, I think it is message 2023 11/23/18

Good luck,

Joe K3JV

Any suggestions?

Thank's
Tim
KE4HGP

The space goes between the 0 and the /. Those are file names for two different devices. When you run them together, you are creating a file name that doesn't exist and so the program can't open it. 

On Mon, Dec 3, 2018, 18:06 Joseph Vilardo <jvilardo@... wrote:

Tim

Good luck,

Joe K3JV

Any suggestions?

Thank's
Tim
KE4HGP

Brian Badger

There should be a space between /dev/ttySC0 and /dev/pps0 in the gpsd config.

Brian N0KZ

On Dec 3, 2018, at 6:09 PM, Tim Carroll <tcarroll4@...> wrote:

Any suggestions?

Thank's
Tim
KE4HGP

kc7pmu

After modifying config.txt file as specified and rebooting, Compass asks for my login, accepts my password, the screen blanks for a moment and I am presented with the login window again. If I type an incorrect password, that is reported as incorrect. 
Any idea why I am presented with an, apparently, unending login loop? Any suggestions?
--

Paul
kc7pmu

Jack Spitznagel

When I was trying to install Xastir, exactly the same occurred to me after I tried to invoke X from inside a terminal window with the command “startx” while running the GUI already.  I found the only solution was to blow away the image, create a new one and write it to the microSD card with Etcher, the start to configure all over again.
Sorry I can’t be more helpful.
Jack
KD4IZ 

On Dec 4, 2018, at 14:20, kc7pmu@... wrote:

After modifying config.txt file as specified and rebooting, Compass asks for my login, accepts my password, the screen blanks for a moment and I am presented with the login window again. If I type an incorrect password, that is reported as incorrect. 
Any idea why I am presented with an, apparently, unending login loop? Any suggestions?
--

Paul
kc7pmu

--
J Spitznagel
Science River LLC
KD4IZ