Topics

(longer) DRAWS power cable? #draws #power

Steve Stroh

Anyone have a lead on a longer power cable for a DRAWS?

Yes, I know I can splice a longer cable onto the one that's supplied
with the unit, but I'd rather not.

I'm sure there's something on Amazon, but I don't even know what to
call that particular connector.

Thanks,

Steve N8GNJ

--
Steve Stroh (personal / general): stevestroh@...

Connector is JST XRH Series

On Dec 6, 2018, at 10:38 AM, Steve Stroh <steve.stroh@...> wrote:

Anyone have a lead on a longer power cable for a DRAWS?

Yes, I know I can splice a longer cable onto the one that's supplied
with the unit, but I'd rather not.

I'm sure there's something on Amazon, but I don't even know what to
call that particular connector.

Thanks,

Steve N8GNJ

--
Steve Stroh (personal / general): stevestroh@...

Steve Stroh

Thanks for that lead. After browsing Amazon, now I understand why NWDR
didn't supply a longer cable.

Time to warm up the soldering iron.

On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 10:57 AM Bryan Hoyer <@K7UDR> wrote:

Connector is JST XRH Series

On Dec 6, 2018, at 10:38 AM, Steve Stroh <steve.stroh@...> wrote:

Anyone have a lead on a longer power cable for a DRAWS?

Yes, I know I can splice a longer cable onto the one that's supplied
with the unit, but I'd rather not.

I'm sure there's something on Amazon, but I don't even know what to
call that particular connector.

Thanks,

Steve N8GNJ

--
Steve Stroh (personal / general): stevestroh@...

--
Steve Stroh (personal / general): stevestroh@...

Art - KC7SDA

if you have a crimper you can buy the crimp dies for the connectors and some 28 gauge wire and make your own

Gayland Gump

Does anyone have a source for the power pigtails for the DRAWS?  I'll likely need a few as I learn how to put Anderson Power Pole connectors on the non-terminated end of the pigtail.  The one I got with the DRAWS is already getting too short as I fail my way through to having enough experience and technique to achieve success.

Gayland
KG7GCF

On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 10:57 AM Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...> wrote:
Connector is JST XRH Series

> On Dec 6, 2018, at 10:38 AM, Steve Stroh <steve.stroh@...> wrote:
>
> Anyone have a lead on a longer power cable for a DRAWS?
>
> Yes, I know I can splice a longer cable onto the one that's supplied
> with the unit, but I'd rather not.
>
> I'm sure there's something on Amazon, but I don't even know what to
> call that particular connector.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve N8GNJ
>
> --
> Steve Stroh (personal / general): stevestroh@...

Jack Spitznagel

Gayland,
I looked without success and did this as a temporal measure:
image1.jpeg

Eventually the pigtail will be mounted in the deeper version back cover of the SweetiPi Case along with a 4500mAH lithium cell and a mini power switch. Just going to use a standard 12V coaxial socket to connect to the power source using the PowerPole connectors
Jack -KD4IZ

On Dec 15, 2018, at 12:53, Gayland Gump <kg7gcf@...> wrote:

Does anyone have a source for the power pigtails for the DRAWS?  I'll likely need a few as I learn how to put Anderson Power Pole connectors on the non-terminated end of the pigtail.  The one I got with the DRAWS is already getting too short as I fail my way through to having enough experience and technique to achieve success.

Gayland
KG7GCF

On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 10:57 AM Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...> wrote:
Connector is JST XRH Series

> On Dec 6, 2018, at 10:38 AM, Steve Stroh <steve.stroh@...> wrote:
>
> Anyone have a lead on a longer power cable for a DRAWS?
>
> Yes, I know I can splice a longer cable onto the one that's supplied
> with the unit, but I'd rather not.
>
> I'm sure there's something on Amazon, but I don't even know what to
> call that particular connector.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve N8GNJ
>
> --
> Steve Stroh (personal / general): stevestroh@...

--
J Spitznagel
Science River LLC

Robert Sears

You can buy the connectors and wires with pre-crimped contacts from Digikey

https://www.digikey.com/en/product-highlight/j/jst/xh-series-connectors

Robert/KF7VOP

On 12/15/2018 09:53 AM, Gayland Gump wrote:
Does anyone have a source for the power pigtails for the DRAWS?  I'll likely need a few as I learn how to put Anderson Power Pole connectors on the non-terminated end of the pigtail.  The one I got with the DRAWS is already getting too short as I fail my way through to having enough experience and technique to achieve success.

Gayland
KG7GCF

On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 10:57 AM Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...> wrote:
Connector is JST XRH Series

> On Dec 6, 2018, at 10:38 AM, Steve Stroh <steve.stroh@...> wrote:
>
> Anyone have a lead on a longer power cable for a DRAWS?
>
> Yes, I know I can splice a longer cable onto the one that's supplied
> with the unit, but I'd rather not.
>
> I'm sure there's something on Amazon, but I don't even know what to
> call that particular connector.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve N8GNJ
>
> --
> Steve Stroh (personal / general): stevestroh@...

Robert Sears

On 12/15/2018 09:53 AM, Gayland Gump wrote:
Does anyone have a source for the power pigtails for the DRAWS?  I'll likely need a few as I learn how to put Anderson Power Pole connectors on the non-terminated end of the pigtail.  The one I got with the DRAWS is already getting too short as I fail my way through to having enough experience and technique to achieve success.

Gayland
KG7GCF

On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 10:57 AM Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...> wrote:
Connector is JST XRH Series

> On Dec 6, 2018, at 10:38 AM, Steve Stroh <steve.stroh@...> wrote:
>
> Anyone have a lead on a longer power cable for a DRAWS?
>
> Yes, I know I can splice a longer cable onto the one that's supplied
> with the unit, but I'd rather not.
>
> I'm sure there's something on Amazon, but I don't even know what to
> call that particular connector.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve N8GNJ
>
> --
> Steve Stroh (personal / general): stevestroh@...

Be careful to get the right polarity, to match the pins on the DRAWS board.  We have seen some with the black and red wires switched from what DRAWS is expecting.

We are looking at some options, so don't overdo it on buying a bunch of pigtails.

BTW, pigtails are meant to be just that, a little solder and shrink tubing and connect it to a longer cable with whatever connector you like on the other end.

On Sat, Dec 15, 2018 at 2:15 PM Robert Sears <kf7vop@...> wrote:

Complete assemblies

https://www.adafruit.com/product/261

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9914

Robert/KF7VOP

On 12/15/2018 09:53 AM, Gayland Gump wrote:
Does anyone have a source for the power pigtails for the DRAWS?  I'll likely need a few as I learn how to put Anderson Power Pole connectors on the non-terminated end of the pigtail.  The one I got with the DRAWS is already getting too short as I fail my way through to having enough experience and technique to achieve success.

Gayland
KG7GCF

On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 10:57 AM Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...> wrote:
Connector is JST XRH Series

> On Dec 6, 2018, at 10:38 AM, Steve Stroh <steve.stroh@...> wrote:
>
> Anyone have a lead on a longer power cable for a DRAWS?
>
> Yes, I know I can splice a longer cable onto the one that's supplied
> with the unit, but I'd rather not.
>
> I'm sure there's something on Amazon, but I don't even know what to
> call that particular connector.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve N8GNJ
>
> --
> Steve Stroh (personal / general): stevestroh@...

Gayland Gump

John,

Thanks for the input.  I am pretty much a rank amateur on the hardware side of things.  I've already managed loose an inch or more off the pigtails trying to put some Anderson Power Poles on them.  Hadn't occurred to me to simply solder longer wires to the pigtails.  I assume that I could go to a larger gauge of wire which would allow me to have a somewhat more robust termination to the connectors I want to try.  That 28 gauge wire in the pigtails is awfully fragile to a fumble thumbs like me.

If you have a part number for the pig tails and a source I'd appreciate hearing more from you.

Gayland
KG7GCF

On Sat, Dec 15, 2018 at 2:45 PM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
Be careful to get the right polarity, to match the pins on the DRAWS board.  We have seen some with the black and red wires switched from what DRAWS is expecting.

We are looking at some options, so don't overdo it on buying a bunch of pigtails.

BTW, pigtails are meant to be just that, a little solder and shrink tubing and connect it to a longer cable with whatever connector you like on the other end.

On Sat, Dec 15, 2018 at 2:15 PM Robert Sears <kf7vop@...> wrote:

Complete assemblies

https://www.adafruit.com/product/261

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9914

Robert/KF7VOP

On 12/15/2018 09:53 AM, Gayland Gump wrote:
Does anyone have a source for the power pigtails for the DRAWS?  I'll likely need a few as I learn how to put Anderson Power Pole connectors on the non-terminated end of the pigtail.  The one I got with the DRAWS is already getting too short as I fail my way through to having enough experience and technique to achieve success.

Gayland
KG7GCF

On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 10:57 AM Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...> wrote:
Connector is JST XRH Series

> On Dec 6, 2018, at 10:38 AM, Steve Stroh <steve.stroh@...> wrote:
>
> Anyone have a lead on a longer power cable for a DRAWS?
>
> Yes, I know I can splice a longer cable onto the one that's supplied
> with the unit, but I'd rather not.
>
> I'm sure there's something on Amazon, but I don't even know what to
> call that particular connector.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve N8GNJ
>
> --
> Steve Stroh (personal / general): stevestroh@...

Brian Badger

I do not recommend large gauge pigtails.   You don’t want the connectors on the board to be the point of failure.  What we need is a case design that has a securely mounted powerpole or barrel connector.  Then the pigtail won’t matter.

On Dec 15, 2018, at 3:44 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

Be careful to get the right polarity, to match the pins on the DRAWS board.  We have seen some with the black and red wires switched from what DRAWS is expecting.

We are looking at some options, so don't overdo it on buying a bunch of pigtails.

BTW, pigtails are meant to be just that, a little solder and shrink tubing and connect it to a longer cable with whatever connector you like on the other end.

On Sat, Dec 15, 2018 at 2:15 PM Robert Sears <kf7vop@...> wrote:

Complete assemblies

https://www.adafruit.com/product/261

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9914

Robert/KF7VOP

On 12/15/2018 09:53 AM, Gayland Gump wrote:
Does anyone have a source for the power pigtails for the DRAWS?  I'll likely need a few as I learn how to put Anderson Power Pole connectors on the non-terminated end of the pigtail.  The one I got with the DRAWS is already getting too short as I fail my way through to having enough experience and technique to achieve success.

Gayland
KG7GCF

On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 10:57 AM Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...> wrote:
Connector is JST XRH Series

> On Dec 6, 2018, at 10:38 AM, Steve Stroh <steve.stroh@...> wrote:
>
> Anyone have a lead on a longer power cable for a DRAWS?
>
> Yes, I know I can splice a longer cable onto the one that's supplied
> with the unit, but I'd rather not.
>
> I'm sure there's something on Amazon, but I don't even know what to
> call that particular connector.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve N8GNJ
>
> --
> Steve Stroh (personal / general): stevestroh@...

Budd Churchward

While you are at it, don’t forget to include a fuse in the line. Like the UDRCs that preceded it, the DRAWS board uses a diode across the input voltage and ground for reverse polarity protection which simply explodes micro-seconds before it fries the board unless you have a fuse. Ask me how I know. Ask Anna. We’ve seen fire. As the saying goes: “It stops working when you let the magic smoke out.”

Budd WB7FHC

Sent: Saturday, December 15, 2018 3:55 PM
Subject: Re: [udrc] (longer) DRAWS power cable? #draws #power

John,

Thanks for the input.  I am pretty much a rank amateur on the hardware side of things.  I've already managed loose an inch or more off the pigtails trying to put some Anderson Power Poles on them.  Hadn't occurred to me to simply solder longer wires to the pigtails.  I assume that I could go to a larger gauge of wire which would allow me to have a somewhat more robust termination to the connectors I want to try.  That 28 gauge wire in the pigtails is awfully fragile to a fumble thumbs like me.

If you have a part number for the pig tails and a source I'd appreciate hearing more from you.

Gayland
KG7GCF

On Sat, Dec 15, 2018 at 2:45 PM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
Be careful to get the right polarity, to match the pins on the DRAWS board.  We have seen some with the black and red wires switched from what DRAWS is expecting.

We are looking at some options, so don't overdo it on buying a bunch of pigtails.

BTW, pigtails are meant to be just that, a little solder and shrink tubing and connect it to a longer cable with whatever connector you like on the other end.

On Sat, Dec 15, 2018 at 2:15 PM Robert Sears <kf7vop@...> wrote:

Complete assemblies

https://www.adafruit.com/product/261

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9914

Robert/KF7VOP

On 12/15/2018 09:53 AM, Gayland Gump wrote:
Does anyone have a source for the power pigtails for the DRAWS?  I'll likely need a few as I learn how to put Anderson Power Pole connectors on the non-terminated end of the pigtail.  The one I got with the DRAWS is already getting too short as I fail my way through to having enough experience and technique to achieve success.

Gayland
KG7GCF

On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 10:57 AM Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...> wrote:
Connector is JST XRH Series

> On Dec 6, 2018, at 10:38 AM, Steve Stroh <steve.stroh@...> wrote:
>
> Anyone have a lead on a longer power cable for a DRAWS?
>
> Yes, I know I can splice a longer cable onto the one that's supplied
> with the unit, but I'd rather not.
>
> I'm sure there's something on Amazon, but I don't even know what to
> call that particular connector.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve N8GNJ
>
> --
> Steve Stroh (personal / general): stevestroh@...

Yes Brian, you are correct.

We are finalizing a case design now. Details shortly.

Bryan K7UDR

Keith M. McDonald <wreck_diver@...>

Hi Budd,

What is NW Digital Radio recommending for a fuse size when powering the DRAWS using 12V DC over the JST XH connector?

Keith
KC1HTC

The Buck Supply is designed for 3.5A at 5v which is less than half that at 12V

I would fuse it at 2A

Bryan K7UDR