No Transmit Audio #draws #direwolf #xastir

Jack Spitznagel

All,

I have got things configured to receive in direwolf. Xastir shows heard stations on the map using the direwolf AGW interface. DRAWS UDRC parms were fine adjusted by the bash script and fine adjustment done as described by Basil and Brian. So far, so good.

BUT Have tried repeatedly to get transmit (from direwolf) with both FT817 and IC7000 radios. Direwolf is set up (and tries) to digipeat a packet from my Kenwood D-74 handheld. All either rig does is to key up very briefly, but transmit no audio in spite of alsamixer adjustments to LO Driver Gain and PCM level. No increase/decrease helps. I have spent way too much time chasing my tail on this problem (3 days).

I have: swapped DIN cables, made sure they were seated, swapped ports on the DRAWS board, and reinstalled the image from the ground up... no success.

Was thinking to try to generate sound with fldigi, but it crashes immediately as I exit the configuration. Now I am generally suspicious of something "deep" misconfigured, or a problem with board itself. It is tempting tempted to try a clean compile of fldigi, but experiences so far, worried I will run into the same issue with it too?

Any suggestions that might help peel the onion and get DRAWS transmitting sound would be gladly received.

--
Jack Spitznagel
Science River LLC
KD4IZ

share your direwolf.conf file (remove IGLOGIN if set) and let us have a look.

On Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 2:47 PM Jack Spitznagel <kd4iz@...> wrote:
All,

I have got things configured to receive in direwolf. Xastir shows heard stations on the map using the direwolf AGW interface. DRAWS UDRC parms were fine adjusted by the bash script and fine adjustment done as described by Basil and Brian. So far, so good.

BUT Have tried repeatedly to get transmit (from direwolf) with both FT817 and IC7000 radios. Direwolf is set up (and tries) to digipeat a packet from my Kenwood D-74 handheld. All either rig does is to key up very briefly, but transmit no audio in spite of alsamixer adjustments to LO Driver Gain and PCM level. No increase/decrease helps. I have spent way too much time chasing my tail on this problem (3 days).

I have: swapped DIN cables, made sure they were seated, swapped ports on the DRAWS board, and reinstalled the image from the ground up... no success.

Was thinking to try to generate sound with fldigi, but it crashes immediately as I exit the configuration. Now I am generally suspicious of something "deep" misconfigured, or a problem with board itself. It is tempting tempted to try a clean compile of fldigi, but experiences so far, worried I will run into the same issue with it too?

Any suggestions that might help peel the onion and get DRAWS transmitting sound would be gladly received.

--
Jack Spitznagel
Science River LLC
KD4IZ

--

John D. Hays
Edmonds, WA
K7VE

Jack Spitznagel

John,

As I recall, I did nothing to change the main settings already there, just added MYCALL for the 2 ports and the IGLOGIN call and passcode:

ADEVICE plughw:CARD=udrc,DEV=0

ARATE 48000

ACHANNELS 2

#Port 0

CHANNEL 0

MYCALL KD4IZ-2

MODEM 1200

PTT GPIO 12

#Port 1

CHANNEL 1

MYCALL KD4IZ-3

MODEM 9600

PTT GPIO 23

AGWPORT 8000

KISSPORT 8001

TBEACON delay=1 sendto=0 every=10 overlay=S symbol="digi" power=5 height=20 gain=6 comment="DRAWS 0 1200" via=WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1

TBEACON delay=1 sendto=1 every=10 overlay=S symbol="digi" power=5 height=20 gain=6 comment="DRAWS 1 9600" via=WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1

DIGIPEAT 0 0 ^WIDE[3-7]-[1-7]$|^TEST$ ^WIDE[12]-[12]$ TRACE

DIGIPEAT 1 1 ^WIDE[3-7]-[1-7]$|^TEST$ ^WIDE[12]-[12]$ TRACE

DIGIPEAT 0 1 ^WIDE[3-7]-[1-7]$|^TEST$ ^WIDE[12]-[12]$ TRACE

DIGIPEAT 1 0 ^WIDE[3-7]-[1-7]$|^TEST$ ^WIDE[12]-[12]$ TRACE

IGSERVER northwest.aprs2.net

#IGLOGIN YOUR INTERNET LOGIN AND PASSCODE FOR APRS REPORTING

IGLOGIN xxxxx #####

TBEACON sendto=IG delay=1 every=60:00 symbol="igate" overlay=R

IGTXLIMIT 6 10

GPSD localhost

Hope this helps. Thanks for looking at it.

KD4IZ

Jack Spitznagel

FM19oo

From: udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io <udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of John D Hays - K7VE
Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2018 17:53
To: udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [udrc] No Transmit Audio #direwolf #draws #Xastir

share your direwolf.conf file (remove IGLOGIN if set) and let us have a look.

On Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 2:47 PM Jack Spitznagel <kd4iz@...> wrote:

All,

--
Jack Spitznagel
Science River LLC
KD4IZ

--

John D. Hays
Edmonds, WA

K7VE

--
J Spitznagel
Science River LLC
KD4IZ

BUT Have tried repeatedly to get transmit (from direwolf) with both FT817 and IC7000 radios. Direwolf is set up (and tries) to digipeat a packet from my Kenwood D-74 handheld. All either rig does is to key up very briefly, but transmit no audio in spite of alsamixer adjustments to LO Driver Gain and PCM level.
That sounds like you are transmitting at 9600 baud. Is that
intentional? A brief burst of static is what you'll hear.

Bill

Jack Spitznagel

Hi Bill,

I thought of that, but it happened from both 1200 and 9600 ports - there is no sound, not even noise. I know what the 9600 bursts sound like... years ago, I ran an Ottawa PI card.

KD4IZ
Jack Spitznagel
FM19oo

-----Original Message-----
From: udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io <udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill Vodall
Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2018 21:10

BUT Have tried repeatedly to get transmit (from direwolf) with both FT817 and IC7000 radios. Direwolf is set up (and tries) to digipeat a packet from my Kenwood D-74 handheld. All either rig does is to key up very briefly, but transmit no audio in spite of alsamixer adjustments to LO Driver Gain and PCM level.
That sounds like you are transmitting at 9600 baud. Is that
intentional? A brief burst of static is what you'll hear.

Bill

--
J Spitznagel
Science River LLC
KD4IZ

Jack Spitznagel

In addition – if I use a direwolf.conf for the left port @ 1200 baud and PTT set to GPIO 12, exactly the same as below. PPT is proper timing with no sound. Grrr….

J – KD4IZ

From: udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io <udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jack Spitznagel
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2018 16:26

John, All.

Making some progress – but not there yet with Direwolf.

To troubleshoot the DRAWS board over lunch, compiled fldigi using the UDRCII destructions to see if I could get fldigi to start up properly without a crash after the configuration step. It starts up but lacks a waterfall. I did not stick around to see errors unfortunately. The good news is that it hears and transmits using the DRAWS board, so I have to assume there is nothing wrong with the board right port (port 0). The mixer adjusted the audio levels to those recommended for the IC-7000. I can’t see the waterfall so I can’t zero in on a signal, but decodes “noise” in PSK31 when close to a signal and decoded some CW (but typically in my experience with fldigi, poor copy). Now will assume the sound circuitry is OK.

As I was playing with fldigi, I noticed in those instructions that the right channel PTT was set for GPIO23, not GPIO12? On a hunch, I swapped the GPIO assignments for PTT and de-configured left port as shown below. The rig now keys up for an appropriate length of time for digipeating the beacon of my HT @ 1200 baud… but is still not transmitting audio – not even noise.

SO why this apparent problem with PTT assignment? Still trying to understand the audio issue too.

Jack – KD4IZ

Contents of direwolf.conf (alternate file 3) edits in red.

ADEVICE plughw:CARD=udrc,DEV=0

ARATE 48000

ACHANNELS 2

#Port 0

CHANNEL 0

MYCALL KD4IZ-2

MODEM 1200

PTT GPIO 23

#Port 1

CHANNEL 1

MYCALL KD4IZ-3

MODEM 1200

PTT GPIO 12

AGWPORT 8000

KISSPORT 8001

TBEACON delay=1 sendto=0 every=10 overlay=S symbol="digi" power=5 height=20 gain=6 comment="DRAWS 0 1200" via=WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1

#TBEACON delay=1 sendto=1 every=10 overlay=S symbol="digi" power=5 height=20 gain=6 comment="DRAWS 1 9600" via=WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1

DIGIPEAT 0 0 ^WIDE[3-7]-[1-7]$|^TEST$ ^WIDE[12]-[12]$ TRACE

#DIGIPEAT 1 1 ^WIDE[3-7]-[1-7]$|^TEST$ ^WIDE[12]-[12]$ TRACE

DIGIPEAT 0 1 ^WIDE[3-7]-[1-7]$|^TEST$ ^WIDE[12]-[12]$ TRACE

#DIGIPEAT 1 0 ^WIDE[3-7]-[1-7]$|^TEST$ ^WIDE[12]-[12]$ TRACE

IGSERVER northwest.aprs2.net

#IGLOGIN YOUR INTERNET LOGIN AND PASSCODE FOR APRS REPORTING

IGLOGIN xxxxx #####

TBEACON sendto=IG delay=1 every=60:00 symbol="igate" overlay=R

IGTXLIMIT 6 10

GPSD localhost

--
J Spitznagel