Topics

Beta Image Available #draws #betaimage

Edited

A Beta image is available for download at http://nwdig.net/downloads/draws_beta2.zip
(This location may change.)

UPDATE  the latest version will be available draws_current.zip

Unzip the file which will create draws_beta2.img
Use an SD Card of at least 8 GB and copy the img file with an image burner like Etcher or dd under Linux.

Insert into Raspberry Pi (with DRAWS HAT)
Boot up.  It will expand the file system to fill your SD card.

User: pi / nwcompass  but it will autologin and present GUI.

Run raspi-config to set timezone and enable ssh and vnc if desired.

If the GPS antenna is installed:

sudo systemctl enable gpsd
sudo systemctl start gpsd
sudo systemctl restart chrony

Explore the menu system and desktop Icons.  (The Direwolf menu item is broken.)

To start and stop direwolf use:

sudo systemctl start direwolf
sudo systemctl stop direwolf

Application support should be directed to the author of each application.  Use Raspbian support for OS questions.  General questions can be asked in this group. (Check Wiki as well)

There are many applications installed, you can see the install scripts in /home/pi/n7nix and an install log in /var/log

More information will be provided, but getting this out for those who are waiting.

A few commands:

gpsmon # Check the GPS
chronyc sources # Check the NTP clock
sensors  # Check sensors, including the input voltage if using the HAT 12 V input.

Director

Dave Christensen

I tried to download the image Wednesday evening and it got to 17% and 24 minutes and 10 seconds and stopped for over 25 minutes before I killed the download.  Thought you would want to know

[...]

Image removed by sender.

Image removed by sender. Image removed by sender. Image removed by sender.

Basil Gunn

nwdig.net is sitting on a Rackspace server.
Even though Rackspace is a major service provider my virtual server is currently
getting hammered. We should look at mirroring and/or tor to alleviate
contention.
I just confirmed that the download of the image still works but it's
slow as many people are downloading at the same time.

/Basil

Use an SD Card of at least 8 GB and copy the img file with an image burner like Etcher <https://www.balena.io/etcher/> or dd under Linux.

[...]

If you want direwolf functionality with the draws hat do this:

cd
cd n7nix/config
sudo su
./app_config.sh core

This will run a script that sets up AX.25, direwolf & systemd

Now reboot your RPi & confirm your installation is working:

Receive
Tune your radio to the 1200 baud APRS frequency: 144.39 because there
should be lots of traffic there.

tail -f /var/log/direwolf/direwolf.log
or
become root & run listen -at in a console window

Transmit
Tune your radio to the 1200 baud APRS frequency: 144.39
cd
cd n7nix/debug
sudo su
./btest.sh -P [udr0|udr1]
This will send either a position beacon or a message beacon
with the -p or -m options.

Using a browser go to: https://aprs.fi/
Under Other Views, click on raw packets
Put your call sign followed by an asterisk in "Originating callsign"
Click search, you should see the beacon you just transmitted.

After that you can configure rmsgw, paclink-unix or someother packet
program that requires direwolf ie.:

./app_config.sh rmsgw
./app_config.sh plu

If you want to run some other program that does NOT use direwolf then do
this:
cd
cd bin
sudo su
./ax25-stop
This will bring down direwolf & all the ax.25 services.

I will put this in a markdown doc file later on today.

/Basil

John D Hays - K7VE <@john_hays> writes:

[...]

The URL for the Beta image is now:

A Beta image is available for download at http://nwdig.net/downloads/draws_beta4.zip

I found Chrome better to download.  Had multiple partial downloads with Micro$oft browsers.

Frank Ivan

This gets a 404 error - you might want to upload it to BitBucket or GitHub.

73 - Frank - K0FEI

On Dec 14, 2018, at 9:17 AM, Dave Christensen <dkc2030@...> wrote:

The URL for the Beta image is now:

A Beta image is available for download at http://nwdig.net/downloads/draws_beta4.zip

I found Chrome better to download.  Had multiple partial downloads with Micro$oft browsers.

Ian

Knock the draws_beta4.zip off the end then click on the draws_beta4.zip when you get the webpage and it'll download.

Regards,
Ian..

http://nwdig.net/downloads/draws_beta4.zip [1]
I found Chrome better to download. Had multiple partial downloads
with Micro$oft browsers.
Links:
------
[1] http://nwdig.net/downloads/draws_beta2.zip
[2] https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/message/2202
[3] https://groups.io/mt/28739393/162806
[4] https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/post
[5] https://groups.io/mk?hashtag=draws&subid=364574
[6] https://groups.io/mk?hashtag=betaimage&subid=364574
[7] https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/editsub/162806
[8] https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/leave/defanged

On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 8:30 AM Frank Ivan via Groups.Io <k0fei=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
This gets a 404 error - you might want to upload it to BitBucket or GitHub.

73 - Frank - K0FEI

On Dec 14, 2018, at 9:17 AM, Dave Christensen <dkc2030@...> wrote:

The URL for the Beta image is now:

A Beta image is available for download at http://nwdig.net/downloads/draws_beta4.zip

I found Chrome better to download.  Had multiple partial downloads with Micro$oft browsers.

Steve, N9VW

John,
This link still tries to download:
    http://nwdig.net/downloads/draws_beta2.zip

/SvW, N9VW

On 12/14/2018 8:42 AM, John D Hays - K7VE wrote:

On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 8:30 AM Frank Ivan via Groups.Io <k0fei=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
This gets a 404 error - you might want to upload it to BitBucket or GitHub.

73 - Frank - K0FEI

On Dec 14, 2018, at 9:17 AM, Dave Christensen <dkc2030@...> wrote:

The URL for the Beta image is now:

A Beta image is available for download at http://nwdig.net/downloads/draws_beta4.zip

I found Chrome better to download.  Had multiple partial downloads with Micro$oft browsers.

With some browser go to to this site:

http://nwdig.net/downloads/

Look at what the file name is.
Click on that filename to download that file.
Just tested it. It works fine.

/Basil

Frank Ivan via Groups.Io <k0fei=me.com@groups.io> writes:

This gets a 404 error - you might want to upload it to BitBucket or GitHub.

73 - Frank - K0FEI

On Dec 14, 2018, at 9:17 AM, Dave Christensen <dkc2030@...> wrote:

The URL for the Beta image is now:

A Beta image is available for download at http://nwdig.net/downloads/draws_beta4.zip <http://nwdig.net/downloads/draws_beta2.zip>

I found Chrome better to download. Had multiple partial downloads with Micro$oft browsers.

Mike - KB0FX

John & Basil - Thank you very much for the Beta image and the additional information on how to run the script to get Direwolf running. This morning I did a greenfield install of the beta image on a brand new Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ and everything just worked! So have I have GPS, Chrony and Direwolf working. I am using a Icom IC-2720 on APRS. Hope to try FLDIGI this afternoon. See my screen shots below.

Thanks

Mike - KB0FX

John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> writes:

> A Beta image is available for download at
> http://nwdig.net/downloads/draws_beta2.zip
>
> (This location may change.)
>
> Unzip the file which will create draws_beta2.img
> Use an SD Card of at least 8 GB and copy the img file with an image burner
> like Etcher <https://www.balena.io/etcher/> or dd under Linux.
>
> Insert into Raspberry Pi (with DRAWS HAT)
> Boot up.  It will expand the file system to fill your SD card.
>
> User: pi / nwcompass  but it will autologin and present GUI.
>
> Run *raspi-config* to set timezone and enable ssh and vnc if desired.
>
> If the GPS antenna is installed:
>
> *sudo systemctl enable gpsd*
>
> *sudo systemctl start gpsdsudo systemctl restart chrony*
>
> Explore the menu system and desktop Icons.  (The Direwolf menu item is
> broken.)
>
> To start and stop direwolf use:
>
> *sudo systemctl start direwolf*
> *sudo systemctl stop direwolf*
>
> Application support should be directed to the author of each application.
> Use Raspbian support for OS questions.  General questions can be asked in
> this group. (Check Wiki as well)
>
> There are many applications installed, you can see the install scripts in
> /home/pi/n7nix and an install log in /var/log
>
> More information will be provided, but getting this out for those who are
> waiting.
>
> A few commands:
>
> *gpsmon* # Check the GPS
> *chronyc* sources # Check the NTP clock
> *sensors*  # Check sensors, including the input voltage if using the HAT 12
> V input.

Basil Gunn

Mike,

Thank you very much for the screen shots. For me personally it means a
lot to hear of your success.

Since you are going to be using FLDigi you will need to turn direwolf
off before running that program.

I have a couple of scripts that allow you to do that in the following
directory:

~/n7nix/systemd/bin/

ax25-stop will unload all the ax.25 stuff & stop direwolf for your
current session. ie. if you reboot ax.25 & direwolf will be running
again.

ax25-disable will stop the ax.25 & direwolf services from loading
between RPi reboots.

This script in ~/bin will let you know what ax25 & direwolf processes
are running, would be good to run it before starting up FLDigi to be
sure direwolf has been stopped.

ax25-status

Also I am working on an install problem so there will be yet another
draws-beta image either today or tomorrow.

Thanks again for the screen shots.

/Basil n7nix

On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 12:01 PM Basil Gunn <@basil860> wrote:

[...]

Basil,

Thanks for the addition information. I run Ubuntu 18.10 as my main operating system but I run just about every operating system you can think of with my multiple computers. I have everything from Windows 95 through Windows 10 running as well as MAC OS, IOS & Android. I am also running Virtual Box on Ubuntu. That said I somethings get confused with all the different things I am running in the shack!

73

Mike - KB0FX
image.png

Mike - KB0FX <mweilb@...> writes:

> [...]
>> >
>> > *sudo systemctl start gpsdsudo systemctl restart chrony*
>> >
>> > Explore the menu system and desktop Icons.  (The Direwolf menu item is
>> > broken.)
>> >
>> > To start and stop direwolf use:
>> >
>> > *sudo systemctl start direwolf*
>> > *sudo systemctl stop direwolf*
>> >
>> > Application support should be directed to the author of each application.
>> > Use Raspbian support for OS questions.  General questions can be asked in
>> > this group. (Check Wiki as well)
>> >
>> > There are many applications installed, you can see the install scripts in
>> > /home/pi/n7nix and an install log in /var/log
>> >
>> > More information will be provided, but getting this out for those who are
>> > waiting.
>> >
>> > A few commands:
>> >
>> > *gpsmon* # Check the GPS
>> > *chronyc* sources # Check the NTP clock
>> > *sensors*  # Check sensors, including the input voltage if using the HAT

Ed

If I am not yet using the DRAWS hat, can chrony be configured to set the RPi clock based on an NTP server or pool?

Thanks & 73,
Ed
N2BHD

If you are using the image, you can just go into /etc/chrony/chrony.conf and comment out these lines (near the bottom)

refclock SHM 0 refid GPS precision 1e-3 offset 0.5 delay 0.2 poll 3 trust require
refclock SHM 2 refid PPS precision 1e-9 poll 3 trust

sudo systemctl enable chrony
sudo systemctl restart chrony

And to see the hosts it is using on the Internet

chronyc sources

On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 8:48 PM Ed via Groups.Io <elancki=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
If I am not yet using the DRAWS hat, can chrony be configured to set the RPi clock based on an NTP server or pool?

Thanks & 73,
Ed
N2BHD

David [kg5eiu]

Downloaded the beta 4 image today (dec 15, 2018) setup the pi and OS
location, enabled VNC and followed
the beginning of this thread for setup/config working good - next to
get a radio hooked up.

Looks good, btw, if you do

chronyc sources -v

It has a legend for the meaning of the various values.

On Sat, Dec 15, 2018 at 12:21 PM David [kg5eiu] via Groups.Io <dcappello=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Downloaded the beta 4 image today (dec 15, 2018) setup the pi and OS
location, enabled VNC and followed
the beginning of this thread for setup/config working good - next to
get a radio hooked up.

A new beta image has been posted.
http://nwdig.net/downloads/current_beta.zip

There are some config bring-up notes here:
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/DRAWS_CONFIG.md

There are some testing & verification notes here:
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/VERIFY_CONFIG.md

/Basil

John D Hays - K7VE <@john_hays> writes:

A Beta image is available for download at
http://nwdig.net/downloads/draws_beta2.zip

(This location may change.)

Unzip the file which will create draws_beta2.img
Use an SD Card of at least 8 GB and copy the img file with an image burner
like Etcher <https://www.balena.io/etcher/> or dd under Linux.

Joseph Vilardo

John
Not sure if this is the right place to post this question if it is not right please re-direct me

I have loaded beta5 image for the RPi/DRAWS and have been following the instructions from N7NIX ( VERIFY_CONFIG.md ) I cant get the transmit test to run as directed here is what happens
from  root@drawsjav:/home/pi/n7nix/debug# ./btest.sh -P [udr0|udr1]
bash: udr1]: command not found

However I see the port 0 light on the DRAWS and my transmitter fire and can hear a long packet being transmitted on a second radio. Is the console return message ( bash:udr1] :command not found) just telling me I do not have port 1 configured for Direwolf??

Thanks,
Joe K3JV