Topics

amixer questions Re: Set Up Issues #draws #setup #fldigi

Brian Badger

I am only picking this up by side conversations:

Is this true -- I have been searching the archives and I can't find anything:
CM_L: Common (GND) for the left port
IN1_L: DISCRIMINATOR INPUT (9600) for the left port
IN2_L: AUDIO INPUT (1200) for the left port
CM_R: Common (GND) for the right port
IN1_R: DISCRIMINATOR INPUT (9600) for the right port
IN2_R: AUDIO INPUT (1200) for the right port

If that's not how it works, then how does it work?  And what is IN3? A
--
Brian N0KZ

Brian Badger

Found this, the mixer is making more sense now:
http://www.ti.com/ds_dgm/images/fbd_slos602c.gif

I spent a while staring at the draws schematic trying to figure it out when I finally realized the DIN6 sockets weren’t diagrams, and that pins 4 and 5 are supposed to be on opposite sides.

Brian N0KZ

On Dec 13, 2018, at 10:00 PM, Brian Badger <brian@...> wrote:

I am only picking this up by side conversations:

Is this true -- I have been searching the archives and I can't find anything:
CM_L: Common (GND) for the left port
IN1_L: DISCRIMINATOR INPUT (9600) for the left port
IN2_L: AUDIO INPUT (1200) for the left port
CM_R: Common (GND) for the right port
IN1_R: DISCRIMINATOR INPUT (9600) for the right port
IN2_R: AUDIO INPUT (1200) for the right port

If that's not how it works, then how does it work?  And what is IN3? A
--
Brian N0KZ

Annaliese McDermond

On Dec 13, 2018, at 9:00 PM, Brian Badger <brian@...> wrote:

I am only picking this up by side conversations:

Is this true -- I have been searching the archives and I can't find anything:
CM_L: Common (GND) for the left port
IN1_L: DISCRIMINATOR INPUT (9600) for the left port
IN2_L: AUDIO INPUT (1200) for the left port
CM_R: Common (GND) for the right port
IN1_R: DISCRIMINATOR INPUT (9600) for the right port
IN2_R: AUDIO INPUT (1200) for the right port

If that's not how it works, then how does it work?
That’s exactly how it works. The TLV320AIC3204 has three inputs that can be connected to the ADC. Each input also has an inline resistor that you can select from the mixer. We suggest that you use 10k, because that’s been shown to work in all the situations we’ve tried, but if you need to do some advanced configuration you can use the 20k and 40k values. Please also note that it is a valid configuration for the codec to hook both input 1 and 2 to the ADC at the same time. The signals will merely get mixed. So, if that’s not something you desire, remember to turn off 1 when 2 is in use and vice-versa.

Also read the entire mixer description. There are indeed switches for things like “IN1L to Right Mixer” where you can cross things up.

The “ADC Level” analog control determines the input gain for these. Left and right are separately controllable.

I’d love to be able to pare down these options to be more specific to udrc/draws, but the alsa code doesn’t really allow you to do that very easily.

On the output side, it’s quite a bit simpler. There’s one right and one left output off of the DAC. They are hooked to one of two amplifiers, LO and HP. LO is line out, and HP is headphones. UDRC/Draws only brings out the LO amplifier to pins. There’s an “LO DAC” control that should always be on unless you never intend on transmitting. This hooks the output of the DAC to the LO amplifier. There are then two output controls, one for each of the left and right pin. These are brought out to the output pin on the DIN6.

The trickiness here is that there are two level controls for the output. The first is the PCM control. This controls output from the DAC itself. The thing to note about this control is that it’s a digital control, which means it’s really just multiplying input values to the DAC by a scaling factor. That means that the lower you set it, the less effective bits of the DAC you’re using. This can cause more quantization noise in your output. The other control is the “LO Drive” control. This controls the gain of the LO amplifier. Because of the lack of quantization issues, you would prefer to use this one for the bulk of your setting if possible.

With regards to the “LO Drive” and “PCM” controls, my experience has shown that 0dB on both controls is pretty close to clipping the outputs, so use caution when adjusting them above 0dB.

If you need more output than the defaults can provide, there’s a secret device tree overlay called udrc-boost-output that’s in our repository that you can use to change the power source of the LO amplifier. How to use such is an exercise for the reader since it’s rarely needed.

And what is IN3? A
Unused.

--
Brian N0KZ

--
Annaliese McDermond (NH6Z)
Xenotropic Systems

Joseph Vilardo

I am looking for some basic guidance on getting fldigi configured for VHF and UHF. I have been successful with the DRAWS Beta 5 image and running Direwolf/YAAC and now that I know the "core image" checks out and works. I rebooted the PI/DRAWS combo and shut down Direwolf and ax25 with this command sequence: cd bin, sudo su, ./ax25-disable.
I then selected fldigi from the drop down menu on the home screen of beta 5 image. When the configuration helper for fldigi comes to selecting the sound card I am left with one option and that is to select "pulseaudio" and it responds wit no pulseaudio server. It doesn't give me an option to choose udrc 0 or 1.
What do I do from here to get an audio source selected ???
Thanks
Joe K3JV

Jack Spitznagel

Joe,

  1. Check to make absolutely sure that Direwolf is not running after your reboot.
  2. If it is not running, you should see PortAudio as a selectable option. Check the box.
  3. Now Select udrc: - (hw:0,0) for both capture and playback.
  4. You can also check “Device supports fell duplex” (it is in mine by default and I just left it that way)

Hope that helped.

KD4IZ

Jack Spitznagel

FM19oo

I am looking for some basic guidance on getting fldigi configured for VHF and UHF. I have been successful with the DRAWS Beta 5 image and running Direwolf/YAAC and now that I know the "core image" checks out and works. I rebooted the PI/DRAWS combo and shut down Direwolf and ax25 with this command sequence: cd bin, sudo su, ./ax25-disable.
I then selected fldigi from the drop down menu on the home screen of beta 5 image. When the configuration helper for fldigi comes to selecting the sound card I am left with one option and that is to select "pulseaudio" and it responds wit no pulseaudio server. It doesn't give me an option to choose udrc 0 or 1.
What do I do from here to get an audio source selected ???
Thanks
Joe K3JV

--
J Spitznagel
Science River LLC

Joseph Vilardo

Jack

Thanks, Indeed ax25 was not shut down I ran ./ax25-stop after ./ax25-disable and that did the trick. In the fldigi set up port audio lite up and I was able to select hw udrc 0.0 for capture and play back. I will let you know how I make out getting audio levels right for my TM-V71.

Thanks,

Joe K3JV

Joseph Vilardo

Jack

Next issue is with getting the radio to transmit. First off, I have used Fldigi with the TM-V71 many times on vhf uhf with success using a signalink and a sound cards with simple interfaces. I noticed right of the bat that the squelch on my radio does not stop the waterfall with the DRAWS interface...what is that about? Using the alsa mixer control no value of ADC changes the waterfall appearance, it doesn't dim or get brighter with open squelch. Squelching off the signal of the radio does not stop the water fall ??? I have never seen that before. Lastly I cant key the radio and no value of Lo Drive Gain or PCM makes any difference.

Do you have any suggestions ???

Joe K3JV

On 12/23/2018 5:58 PM, Jack Spitznagel wrote:

[...]

Hi Joe,

You have a radio I do not know anything about. I’m only about a week ahead of you in learning how to make DRAWS sing. I just happened to have been working with fldigi and my IC-7000 and the questions you asked were central to making fldigi work with the DRAWS hat audio device and that rig.

How did you configure fldigi to key your radio? Since you are no longer using a SignaLink, you can’t rely on the SL VOX keying circuit.  If you want to use VOX for PTT, the radio has to have a VOX function and it has to be set up and adjusted.

Only other approach I can think of is to make sure your radio can be controlled and/or keyed by flrig’s CAT control and set it up. Then set fldigi to control and key the radio using flrig. That seemed to work for me with my IC-7000 and Yaesu FT-817.

Sorry I can’t be more helpful.

KD4IZ

Jack Spitznagel

FM19oo

[...]

fldigi allows you to key the radio using the gpio pin interface (12) to mini din-6 (left)

On Sun, Dec 23, 2018 at 6:44 PM Jack Spitznagel <kd4iz@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks, no apology necessary. You gave me the info needed, I forgot about fldigi capability to address Pi GPIO and John K7VE reminded me.  I am a bit gun shy on all the traffic concerning audio issues.

Thanks and have a great Christmas.

K3JV Joe

On 12/23/2018 9:44 PM, Jack Spitznagel wrote:

[...]

Gents

I wanted to share the good news of having success with the Beta6 image of draws with Direwolf ,  YAAC and a leap today with fldigi running on a Kenwood TM-V71 dual bander.

I downloaded the beta 6 image today and ran through Basil's "Verify_Config.md". I found a  notation symbol that gave me trouble until I changed it.

Under "check ALSA settings for deviation " instructions go as follows:

cd  ~/n7nix/debug

~/alsa-show.sh

I  removing the tilde and the ~/ for the line alsa-show.sh after trying the command as noted several times and then it ran fine.

At first I couldn't get fldigi to allow me to select udrc under the sound card configuration. It just wasn't there. During the Verify_Config.md the instructions required two changes in the /boot/config.txt to test analog audio un comment, remove the # from dtparam=audio=on and /boot/config.txt  hdmi_drive=2 when your done with the Verify_Config.md make sure you go back to /boot/config.txt and comment out, put the # at the beginning of the lines #dtparam=audio=on and #hdmi_drive=2.Reboot and run:

sudo su

cd ~/bin

./ax25-stop

also run :

sudo su

cd ~/bin

./ax25=disable

Now select fldigi from the "internet menu" on the home screen and you should be able to go to the "configure" menu of fldigi then sound card and select "port audio" in the drop down menu you should see the selection for "udrc". If you dont it either means you have not shut down ax25 or you didn't comment out dtparam=audio=on or hdmi_drive=2

Also from the home screen of pi go to preferences and bring up "Audio Device Settings" and setup PCM, ADC Level and LO Driver Gain.

I found that setting the audio out (Transmit) levels where easy to adjust to -20db using the alsa mixer controls of PCM and Lo Driver Gain. I use  a free audio spectrum analyzer called "Spectrum Lab ver 2.93" for setting the audio drive level on fldigi for FM vhf and uhf.  For HF the best thing is to adjust the xmit drive level so you have NO ALC showing for ssb transmit. The signals sound clean on second TM V71 I have. Also the receive gain was easy to adjust to keep the  audio within range of the green indicator diamond on fldigi.

I had not experienced the issues that people were having with FT817 at Ft 891 ?? but I had not tried fldigi with the beta 5 version of the image. Beta 6 seems to work just fine with  the Kenwood TM V71.

Joe K3JV

On 12/23/2018 10:00 PM, John D Hays - K7VE wrote:
[...]

Julian OH8STN <julian@...>

Excellent write up Joe.
Did you adjust any other setting than adjusting ADC level in alsamixer for receive level?

Outstanding post.
Thanks for sharing

Julian

Julian OH8STN
www.oh8stn.org
www.youtube.com/c/OH8STN

On 25 Dec 2018 05:13, Joseph Vilardo <jvilardo@...> wrote:

[...]

Merry Christmas Julian

All of the adjustment I made to the receive signal was through the ADC Level of the alsa mixer. FLDIGI has a go no go "diamond shaped" icon on the bottom tool bar of the main screen.   It lights up "black" for low receive audio, "Green" for ok and "Red" for over driven receive. The ADC Level adjustment got the green diamond to light with plenty of room to spare.

Joe K3JV