Topics

TODO list? Re: #draws #compass #dstar

Brian Badger

I have no urgent needs for anything DRAWS related.  I know I'm an early adopter -- I get it.  But it would be really helpful if there was some kind of TODO list so I know what I should even be messing with.

1) Direwolf, YAAC, XASTIR, gpsd, chronyd - working
2) fldigi - working, but amixer settings not documented?
3) virtual audio devices - not working?
4) dstarrepeater - not working?

Regarding #2, I didn't understand the comments about "AUDIOOUT" "DISCOUT" -- the comments don't appear to match the mixer settings.  From the schematics it looks like IN1 is the DISCOUT and IN2 is the AUDIOOUT.  I changed the amixer settings script thus to enable fldigi:

# Set channel 0
sset 'CM_L to Left Mixer Negative Resistor' '10 kOhm'
sset 'IN1_L to Left Mixer Positive Resistor' 'Off'
sset 'IN2_L to Left Mixer Positive Resistor' '10 kOhm'
# Set channel 1
sset 'CM_R to Right Mixer Negative Resistor' '10 kOhm'
sset 'IN1_R to Right Mixer Positive Resistor' 'Off'
sset 'IN2_R to Right Mixer Positive Resistor' '10 kOhm'

On Sat, Dec 15, 2018 at 11:39 AM Brian Badger <brian@...> wrote:
I have no urgent needs for anything DRAWS related.  I know I'm an early adopter -- I get it.  But it would be really helpful if there was some kind of TODO list so I know what I should even be messing with.

1) Direwolf, YAAC, XASTIR, gpsd, chronyd - working
2) fldigi - working, but amixer settings not documented?
alsamixer settings are generally by radio, not application.  Once they are set for a radio, you can move from program to program.  [Not all radios are equal, and not all radios have been tested.]

3) virtual audio devices - not working?

Virtual audio devices work, as far as the OS is concerned.  Most applications don't enumerate them, and there is a small change in application code to make them work properly for non-streaming applications.

4) dstarrepeater - not working?
I haven't had a chance to test out yet, but it should be able to work -- just may take a different approach than the UDRC configuration as it was primarily focused on the UDRC/UDRC II and doesn't recognize the EPROM setting for the DRAWS yet.

Jack Spitznagel

Brian, Basil, All,

@ Basil – which copy of direwolf.conf does your start up script modify? I am missing the obvious as usual…

With Beta2-

So wsjt and fldigi were a slam-dunk here, they just worked without mods (I still need to adjust the screen parameters to get wsjt on the 7 inch touch screen)… I used the audio setup that was in audio setup routine and did not try to use the original audio setup script.

This was the first time I was able to reliably get a waterfall on any program!

Basil’s solution for the activation of direwolf worked (and YACC, but Xastir was still being goofy). When running direwolf as a system process, there is not an active monitor terminal as is the case when run directly from commandline or the GUI menu. In my attempt to get it to work by playing with the .conf file, I messed up something and lost the GPS. In process of trying to fix that I lost the PTT.  Since Beta4 is available, I am just going to flash another image and start up slow again.

KD4IZ

Jack Spitznagel

FM19oo

--
J Spitznagel
Science River LLC

Basil Gunn

@ Basil – which copy of direwolf.conf does your start up script
modify? I am missing the obvious as usual…
Linux configuration by convention lives in /etc or /usr/local/etc
direwolf config is here: /etc/direwolf.conf

With Beta2-

So wsjt and fldigi were a slam-dunk here, they just worked without
mods (I still need to adjust the screen parameters to get wsjt on the
7 inch touch screen)… I used the audio setup that was in audio setup
routine and did not try to use the original audio setup script.
Just my preference:
I found 7 inch screens, even the superior Sunfounder 1024x600 display
are too small to be usable for most of these applications.
I use the 10 inch Sunfounder 1280x800 display.

This was the first time I was able to reliably get a waterfall on any
program!

Basil’s solution for the activation of direwolf worked (and YACC, but
Xastir was still being goofy). When running direwolf as a system
process, there is not an active monitor terminal as is the case when
run directly from commandline or the GUI menu. In my attempt to get it
to work by playing with the .conf file, I messed up something and lost
the GPS. In process of trying to fix that I lost the PTT. Since Beta4
is available, I am just going to flash another image and start up slow
again.
Look here for my notes on bringing up a working Xastir
Note: The gps notes are NOT for the draws board.

https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/tree/master/xastir

You can look at direwolf output this way:

tail -f /var/log/direwolf/direwolf.log

draws_beta5.zip is now available.

KD4IZ

Jack Spitznagel