Topics

Betas #draws #setup #beta #image

There has been a rapid succession of betas the last couple of days.  We number each successive beta.

We are implementing a 'symbolic link' in the directory

For anyone that is building a pull script and doesn't want to have to go look for the current beta number, just use the  http://nwdig.net/downloads/current_beta.zip link to pull the latest.

Director

David [kg5eiu]

I re-loaded my pi today with the new beta 5 (dec 15, 2018) and it also working great.
I just followed: https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/topic/beta_image_available/28739393?p=,,,50,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,50,2,0,28739393
and got it going no issues - I am still scrounging around for a radio - is there a "reference" radio that "works best" or a suggested model  that is plug and play ?

If you are looking to do packet, many major brand VHF/UHF radios work with the "Packet Din-6 Connector" on the radio.  The Yaesu FT-8x7 family is pretty much plug and play with the level setting script(s).

On Sun, Dec 16, 2018 at 10:51 AM David [kg5eiu] via Groups.Io <dcappello=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I re-loaded my pi today with the new beta 5 (dec 15, 2018) and it also working great.
I just followed: https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/topic/beta_image_available/28739393?p=,,,50,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,50,2,0,28739393
and got it going no issues - I am still scrounging around for a radio - is there a "reference" radio that "works best" or a suggested model  that is plug and play ?

David [kg5eiu]

Okay - I am going to try my 991 in packet mode - BTW with the Beta 5 image I try and run dire wolf and I get a permission problem:

On Sun, Dec 16, 2018 at 12:49 PM David [kg5eiu] via Groups.Io <dcappello=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Okay - I am going to try my 991 in packet mode - BTW with the Beta 5 image I try and run dire wolf and I get a permission problem:

As I noted, in another post.  The menu item does not work (it is setup by the direwolf install)  ... Basil has systemd scripts to start and stop direwolf

See if it is running:
sudo systemctl status direwolf

Then
sudo systemctl start direwolf
or
sudo systemctl stop direwolf

And you can tail -f the log to see what is happening.

The configuration file is in /etc

David [kg5eiu]

Okay dire wolf running as a daemon - I think it is working....  Xastir asked me for GPS info... have to read up on how to get that to read the local GPS.   Looks like I also attached
to the aprsc server

Now have to go figure out the interface type and setup for Xastir....

If you have gpsd running as a daemon, you can connect under interfaces.

On Sun, Dec 16, 2018, 13:26 David [kg5eiu] via Groups.Io <dcappello=aol.com@groups.io wrote:
Okay dire wolf running as a daemon - I think it is working....  Xastir asked me for GPS info... have to read up on how to get that to read the local GPS.   Looks like I also attached
to the aprsc server

Now have to go figure out the interface type and setup for Xastir....

Basil Gunn

Okay dire wolf running as a daemon - I think it is working.... Xastir
asked me for GPS info... have to read up on how to get that to read
the local GPS. Looks like I also attached to the aprsc server (
http://208.94.241.11:14501 )

Now have to go figure out the interface type and setup for Xastir....
These notes may help you. I still need to update them for the DRAWS Hat.

https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/tree/master/xastir

/Basil

David [kg5eiu]

I did setup GPSD as a daemon - and I now added it in interface control as Networked GPS (via GPSD)

Now I think I need to add the X.25 packet interface ?

Or connect using networked KISS or AGWPE under interfaces.

On Sun, Dec 16, 2018, 13:36 David [kg5eiu] via Groups.Io <dcappello=aol.com@groups.io wrote:
I did setup GPSD as a daemon - and I now added it in interface control as Networked GPS (via GPSD)

Now I think I need to add the X.25 packet interface ?

David [kg5eiu]

Thanks Basil - I looked that over I am excited to see your updates for DRAWS

I am still a little confused on which interface type to add for the radio I have hooked up (my 991) I have it in the right port as you look
at the radio ports:

Here are my TNC interface types that I can choose from:

Your AGWPE is probably defaulting to the left din 6. It depends on what is in your /etc/direwolf.conf

On Sun, Dec 16, 2018, 13:53 David [kg5eiu] via Groups.Io <dcappello=aol.com@groups.io wrote:
Thanks Basil - I looked that over I am excited to see your updates for DRAWS

I am still a little confused on which interface type to add for the radio I have hooked up (my 991) I have it in the right port as you look
at the radio ports:

Here are my TNC interface types that I can choose from:

David [kg5eiu]

Okay so I moved the radio to the left port - I have not touched the config file /etc/direwolf.conf  - only thing I did was run the script
I found in another post - I got the 991 radio on 144.390 and I think setup for the packet/data interface at 1200 baud.
I am still a little confused do  I need to a specific interface for the TNC (draws hat)  in Xastir ?

Direwolf documentation is at https://github.com/wb2osz/direwolf/blob/master/doc/User-Guide.pdf

Basic idea -- direwolf.conf sets up devices, eg. the udrc CODEC and under that channels (2 for the CODEC)
Each channel has modem (eg 1200) and other values.

When agwpe connects it is going, by default connect to the first channel.

Here is an example direwolf.conf

ADEVICE plughw:CARD=udrc,DEV=0
ARATE 48000
ACHANNELS 2

CHANNEL 0
#MYCALL N0CALL-0
MODEM 1200
PTT GPIO 12
#TBEACON delay=1 sendto=0 every=10 overlay=S symbol="digi" power=5 height=20 gain=6 comment="DRAWS 0 1200" via=WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1

CHANNEL 1
MYCALL  N0CALL-1
#MODEM 9600
PTT GPIO 23
#TBEACON delay=1 sendto=2 every=10 overlay=S symbol="digi" power=5 height=20 gain=6 comment="DRAWS 1 9600" via=WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1

IGSERVER noam.aprs2.net
#IGLOGIN <YOUR CALL> <YOUR PASSCODE>
#TBEACON sendto=IG delay=1 every=60:00 dest=APUDR1 symbol="igate" overlay=R
#IGTXLIMIT 6 10
AGWPORT 8000
KISSPORT 8001
GPSD localhost

Jack Spitznagel

Thanks John, and Basil,

I am trying to get my notes straightened out  - there seems to be stuff in the earlier emails that is deprecated in later Beta.

After stumbling around blindly because I did not read it in the emails or wiki correctly, the Direwolf related stuff in Beta 5 now works. I figured out that the DRAWS Left channel was selected by trial and error. I was using the Right channel in previous Betas and the pre-beta. Was there a particular reason for that choice?

So please confirm as I now understand it:

Right port is 0, PTT is GPIO 12

Left port is 1, PTT is GPIO 23

And the lines in direwolf.conf should be enabled depending on which you want (or both if doing 9600 too)

In Xastir then you would add the AGWPE interface and the INET server if you want to gateway.

I never had tried it before… YAAC is a different kettle of stew. The automagical configuration almost worked but caused it behave strangely for me at first. After poking around under the hood in expert setup, it is now working. I like the UI, but am not fond of the map handling (slow and memory hungry) and it is only loading limited size maps, so I zoom out and wind up with white space.

Will it be possible to add scripts that reliably disable and re- enable direwolf from the UI? Or are we stuck using terminal,  changing to a specific directory, then becoming SU to execute the existing script? I am trying to get caught back up on what is possible (or not) in Raspbian Stretch variant of Debian and get accurate notes put together.

You folks are all great! Thanks for the hard work.

Jack – KD4IZ

--
J Spitznagel
Science River LLC

Basil Gunn

The way the image is intended to be used is to follow these instructions:

https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/DRAWS_CONFIG.md

From those instructions when you run:
./app_config.sh core
it will setup direwolf/ax.25/systemd so that it all starts at boot time.
It also makes you change your password, sets your time zone, and changes
your hostname.

You should NOT try to start direwolf from the console or the menu system
because it is already running. If you run
pidof direwolf
you will see that direwolf has a process id which means it is running.

Then use the following instructions to verify things are working properly.
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/VERIFY_CONFIG.md

direwolf is started via systemd. The correct way to stop direwolf &
ax.25 is to use: ax25-stop in your local bin directory.

Look at these 3 scripts in ~/bin for controlling direwolf & ax.25
ax25-start
ax25-stop
ax25-status

Do NOT use systemctl to start & stop direwolf
Do use ax25-start & ax25-stop

Please read these pages:

aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Okay - I am going to try my 991 in packet mode - BTW with the Beta 5 image
I try and run dire wolf and I get a permission problem:

As I noted, in another post. The menu item does not work (it is setup by
the direwolf install) ... Basil has systemd scripts to start and stop
direwolf

See if it is running:
sudo systemctl status direwolf

Then
sudo systemctl start direwolf
or
sudo systemctl stop direwolf

And you can tail -f the log to see what is happening.

The configuration file is in /etc

jgindc1@...

Running beta5.

I have used ./app_config.sh core

In /etc/direwolf.conf, for Channel 0 PTT is set by
   PTT gpio 12

However, when invoking direwolf as in
  direwolf -c /etc
direwolf responds with
"Note: PTT not configured for channel 0. (Ignore....)"

  With the radio tuned to 144.390 digital, APRS packets are received and successfully decoded.

With n7nix/debug
  sudo ./btest.sh -p
  response says a beacon has been sent, but the radio PTT is not triggered.

I am wondering if the problem is that the DRAWS connection between gpio 12 need to be routed to the correct pin on the right DIN-6 connector, pin 5 for 1200 baud. I believe there are configurable switches on DRAWS.

Suggestions much appreciated

I must say I am enjoying working through the various configuration details as an early adopter.

gpsd is working and I have successfully installed PAT on an earlier Compass version (Sending and receiving Winlink messages via Telnet).

73, John KM7LJ

On Sun, Dec 16, 2018 at 4:28 PM Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:

The way the image is intended to be used is to follow these instructions:

https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/DRAWS_CONFIG.md

From those instructions when you run:

John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> writes:

> On Sun, Dec 16, 2018 at 12:49 PM David [kg5eiu] via Groups.Io <dcappello=
> aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
>> Okay - I am going to try my 991 in packet mode - BTW with the Beta 5 image
>> I try and run dire wolf and I get a permission problem:
>>

> As I noted, in another post.  The menu item does not work (it is setup by
> the direwolf install)  ... Basil has systemd scripts to start and stop
> direwolf
>
> See if it is running:
> sudo systemctl status direwolf
>
> Then
> sudo systemctl start direwolf
> or
> sudo systemctl stop direwolf
>
> And you can tail -f the log to see what is happening.
>
> The configuration file is in /etc

Basil recommends

Look at these 3 scripts in ~/bin for controlling direwolf & ax.25
ax25-start
ax25-stop
ax25-status

Rather than starting direwolf from the command line.
Though if you were to use the command line, you should use the full path name

direwolf -c /etc/direwolf.conf

On Sun, Dec 16, 2018 at 10:26 PM <jgindc1@...> wrote:
[...]

From those instructions when you run:

John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> writes:

> On Sun, Dec 16, 2018 at 12:49 PM David [kg5eiu] via Groups.Io <dcappello=
> aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
>> Okay - I am going to try my 991 in packet mode - BTW with the Beta 5 image
>> I try and run dire wolf and I get a permission problem:
>>

> As I noted, in another post.  The menu item does not work (it is setup by
> the direwolf install)  ... Basil has systemd scripts to start and stop
> direwolf
>
> See if it is running:
> sudo systemctl status direwolf
>
> Then
> sudo systemctl start direwolf
> or
> sudo systemctl stop direwolf
>
> And you can tail -f the log to see what is happening.
>
> The configuration file is in /etc

Art - KC7SDA

Ok, so I'm running xastir 2.1.1... and i'm having issues with the gps

I have the networked gps set up and when I run gpsmon it shows i have a valid fix, however when i go to view -> gps status in xastir it says either 'gps data older than 30 seconds' or 'sats/view:00 fix:invalid'

does anyone else get that?

if not what version are you running and what did you install to get it to run?

Art

Rico Abagnale, DG5BQ

I do have exactly the same issue. Could anyone help, please?