Topics

Brief Introduction and Some Generic Information #ft817 #din6 #audio

Annaliese McDermond

I figured I’d post this since we seem to have some new folks on this list that might benefit.

My name is Annaliese McDermond (you can call me Anna), and I’m one of the software folks that’s involved with NW Digital Radio. I’m the one who does a lot of the low level things like grubbing around the kernel to try to make the tlv320aic3204 driver work correctly, get the device tree correct for the draws hat so that the serial port works with the GPS and taking care of the udrc-dkms package and build process. I’ve been a ham for pretty much all of my adult life since getting my license when I was 14 in high school, and I’ve been doing computing even longer. I have interests in digital communications and SDR. I was involved with the OpenHPSDR project for a long time and wrote a bit of software to drive their hardware using a Mac. I also wrote Buster which is a D-STAR reflector client for the Mac.

Unlike many hams these days, I’m not retired so I have a day job that consumes much of my time. This makes my availability to answer questions and provide fixes sometimes limited. Many times I have to prioritize my free time so that I don’t go absolutely insane.

I also wanted to point out some resources that intrepid folks can use to find answers and play with the system.

The most important is that NW Digital Radio has a GitHub account where we keep all of our code. It is at https://github.com/nwdigitalradio. There is code for nearly everything we do there. This includes things like the Linux kernel source we use for the udrc driver, to the pi-gen setup that we use to create compass linux images. We are committed to open source and put pretty much everything we do in this repository. If you’re looking to “use the source Luke”, this is where to go. If there’s something you don’t see there for whatever reason, let us know and chances are we’ve just forgotten to push it into Github from our various development systems.

I’m generally happy to answer technical questions for people on how the system works. Please post them to one of our mailing lists so that others can get the benefit from my answers. If you e-mail me directly, you chances of a response go way down.

I’d like to thank all the early adopters. Seeing folks play with something that I and the whole NWDR team have worked so hard on for a number of years is greatly gratifying. Know that we really want to put out a product that we’re proud of, and when things don’t work as expected, we’re more disappointed than you are. Thanks for your patience while we work through documentation and software issues that have fallen out of the hardware release.

--
Anna McDermond, J.D.
NH6Z
nh6z@...

Roderick Wayne Hart Sr.

What's the logname and password for the beta os image? I downloaded it and the raspberry defaults are not accepted.

Rod Hart
wa3mez

On December 15, 2018, at 7:19 PM, Annaliese McDermond <nh6z@...> wrote:

I figured I’d post this since we seem to have some new folks on this list that might benefit.

My name is Annaliese McDermond (you can call me Anna), and I’m one of the software folks that’s involved with NW Digital Radio. I’m the one who does a lot of the low level things like grubbing around the kernel to try to make the tlv320aic3204 driver work correctly, get the device tree correct for the draws hat so that the serial port works with the GPS and taking care of the udrc-dkms package and build process. I’ve been a ham for pretty much all of my adult life since getting my license when I was 14 in high school, and I’ve been doing computing even longer. I have interests in digital communications and SDR. I was involved with the OpenHPSDR project for a long time and wrote a bit of software to drive their hardware using a Mac. I also wrote Buster which is a D-STAR reflector client for the Mac.

Unlike many hams these days, I’m not retired so I have a day job that consumes much of my time. This makes my availability to answer questions and provide fixes sometimes limited. Many times I have to prioritize my free time so that I don’t go absolutely insane.

I also wanted to point out some resources that intrepid folks can use to find answers and play with the system.

The most important is that NW Digital Radio has a GitHub account where we keep all of our code. It is at https://github.com/nwdigitalradio. There is code for nearly everything we do there. This includes things like the Linux kernel source we use for the udrc driver, to the pi-gen setup that we use to create compass linux images. We are committed to open source and put pretty much everything we do in this repository. If you’re looking to “use the source Luke”, this is where to go. If there’s something you don’t see there for whatever reason, let us know and chances are we’ve just forgotten to push it into Github from our various development systems.

I’m generally happy to answer technical questions for people on how the system works. Please post them to one of our mailing lists so that others can get the benefit from my answers. If you e-mail me directly, you chances of a response go way down.

I’d like to thank all the early adopters. Seeing folks play with something that I and the whole NWDR team have worked so hard on for a number of years is greatly gratifying. Know that we really want to put out a product that we’re proud of, and when things don’t work as expected, we’re more disappointed than you are. Thanks for your patience while we work through documentation and software issues that have fallen out of the hardware release.

--
Anna McDermond, J.D.
NH6Z
nh6z@...

Basil Gunn

What's the logname and password for the beta os image? I downloaded it
and the raspberry defaults are not accepted.
login: pi
pw: nwcompass

Rod Hart
wa3mez

On Sat, Dec 15, 2018, 21:12 Roderick Wayne Hart Sr. <rod.hart@... wrote:
What's the logname and password for the beta os image? I downloaded it and the raspberry defaults are not accepted.

Rod Hart
wa3mez

My name is Annaliese McDermond (you can call me Anna), and I’m one of the software folks that’s involved with NW Digital Radio.  I’m the one who does a lot of the low level things like grubbing around the kernel to try to make the tlv320aic3204 driver work correctly, get the device tree correct for the draws hat so that the serial port works with the GPS and taking care of the udrc-dkms package and build process.  I’ve been a ham for pretty much all of my adult life since getting my license when I was 14 in high school, and I’ve been doing computing even longer.  I have interests in digital communications and SDR.  I was involved with the OpenHPSDR project for a long time and wrote a bit of software to drive their hardware using a Mac.  I also wrote Buster which is a D-STAR reflector client for the Mac.

Unlike many hams these days, I’m not retired so I have a day job that consumes much of my time.  This makes my availability to answer questions and provide fixes sometimes limited.  Many times I have to prioritize my free time so that I don’t go absolutely insane.

The most important is that NW Digital Radio has a GitHub account where we keep all of our code.  It is at https://github.com/nwdigitalradio.  There is code for nearly everything we do there.  This includes things like the Linux kernel source we use for the udrc driver, to the pi-gen setup that we use to create compass linux images.  We are committed to open source and put pretty much everything we do in this repository.  If you’re looking to “use the source Luke”, this is where to go.  If there’s something you don’t see there for whatever reason, let us know and chances are we’ve just forgotten to push it into Github from our various development systems.

I’m generally happy to answer technical questions for people on how the system works.  Please post them to one of our mailing lists so that others can get the benefit from my answers.  If you e-mail me directly, you chances of a response go way down.

I’d like to thank all the early adopters.  Seeing folks play with something that I and the whole NWDR team have worked so hard on for a number of years is greatly gratifying.  Know that we really want to put out a product that we’re proud of, and when things don’t work as expected, we’re more disappointed than you are.  Thanks for your patience while we work through documentation and software issues that have fallen out of the hardware release.

--
Anna McDermond, J.D.
NH6Z
nh6z@...

Bob Orrett <boborrett@...>

I need help.
Firstly let me admit that I am a relative newbie to RPi. I have installed the draws hat and booted up with draws image beta5. Using the supplied cables or any other cable I have I cannot get anything to happen with the on board 6 pin audio ports on the draws hat. I have tried both wsjtx and js8call. I can get both of these programs to work fine with a digital interface from the usb ports on the RPi. My radio is a ft817. It feels like the audio ports need to be activated somehow but I am unable to find any mention of that in the literature. I have connected the output to an oscilloscope and see nothing when I try to transmit. I have tried all the available audio sound card choices in the settings menu for these programs. I think the correct one is plughwCARD=udrc,DEV=0. What am I missing?
Help.
Bob ve3obo

Fred Hirsch <Hirschfh@...>

Anna,
I have run  into a problem.  While trying to add a printer to the DRAWS configured pi the CUPS administrator requires a password.  I used the standard Raspberry ID: pi and
password: raspberry and was rejected.  Do you have a different id and password for the beta 10 build?

Per the directions in the wiki:

passwd: nwcompass

Basil Gunn

If you read the Getting Started wiki page:

https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/DRAWS%3A-Getting-Started

you would see the passwd is nwcompass

/Basil

Fred Hirsch via Groups.Io <Hirschfh=aol.com@groups.io> writes:

Anna,
I have run into a problem. While trying to add a printer to the DRAWS configured pi the CUPS administrator requires a password. I used the standard Raspberry ID: pi and
password: raspberry and was rejected. Do you have a different id and password for the beta 10 build?

Fred Hirsch <Hirschfh@...>

Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
To: udrc <udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io>
Sent: Sat, Apr 6, 2019 4:54 pm
Subject: Re: [udrc] Brief Introduction and Some Generic Information #ft817 #din6 #audio

Richard Waller

Forgive my density but it is not clear where this login process takes place. When I booted my Rpi the first time using micro sd card with nwcompass image it did ask for user and password. I used my first and last name. When I boot up now there is no request for login or password. Rick Ka4ohm.

On Apr 6, 2019, at 9:08 PM, Fred Hirsch via Groups.Io <Hirschfh@...> wrote:

Thanks.

Subject: Re: [udrc] Brief Introduction and Some Generic Information #ft817 #din6 #audio

There are two ways that Raspbian (the operating system for the Pi) can boot up, one is to a command line with a login prompt, the other is with a GUI (either already logged in or with a login screen). 

Current beta images default to GUI, already logged in.

On Sun, Apr 7, 2019, 07:20 Richard Waller via Groups.Io <rewaller=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
Forgive my density but it is not clear where this login process takes place. When I booted my Rpi the first time using micro sd card with nwcompass image it did ask for user and password. I used my first and last name. When I boot up now there is no request for login or password. Rick Ka4ohm.

On Apr 6, 2019, at 9:08 PM, Fred Hirsch via Groups.Io <Hirschfh@...> wrote:

Thanks.

Basil Gunn

You can run your Raspberry Pi different ways. I believe you are running
yours with an attached screen or monitor. The window manager you are
using with your monitor provides an option for auto login.
menu -> Preferences -> Raspberry Pi configuration -> Auto login

You can also login to your Raspberry Pi over the network using a program
on another computer. On Windows the PuTTY program provides the ability
to run an SSH session (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Shell) from
your Windows machine to the Raspberry Pi. On other computers using MAC
OS or Linux this program is simply called ssh.

Because of this capability you can run your Raspberry Pi without a
monitor which is sometimes called headless.

If you are having problems & need to provide information to the forums
you can ssh into your Raspberry Pi and run debug programs from the
console & cut & paste the output to the forum or email using a computer
running email or a browser.

You can also setup your Raspberry Pi headless with a serial
console. Running ssh or the serial console usually requires you to login
when you start a new session. You can disable auto login when using a
monitor from the menu I described above that will require you to login
when you boot your Raspberry Pi.

google: raspberry pi auto login

/Basil

Richard Waller via Groups.Io <rewaller=verizon.net@groups.io> writes:

Forgive my density but it is not clear where this login process takes
place. When I booted my Rpi the first time using micro sd card with
nwcompass image it did ask for user and password. I used my first and
last name. When I boot up now there is no request for login or
password. Rick Ka4ohm.

Richard Waller

I’m not having trouble logging in. Mine starts up logged in. I was just trying to figure out how to get to the ft 817 info mentioned by Fred.

On Apr 7, 2019, at 11:44 AM, Basil Gunn <@basil860> wrote:

You can run your Raspberry Pi different ways. I believe you are running
yours with an attached screen or monitor. The window manager you are
using with your monitor provides an option for auto login.
menu -> Preferences -> Raspberry Pi configuration -> Auto login

You can also login to your Raspberry Pi over the network using a program
on another computer. On Windows the PuTTY program provides the ability
to run an SSH session (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Shell) from
your Windows machine to the Raspberry Pi. On other computers using MAC
OS or Linux this program is simply called ssh.

Because of this capability you can run your Raspberry Pi without a
monitor which is sometimes called headless.

If you are having problems & need to provide information to the forums
you can ssh into your Raspberry Pi and run debug programs from the
console & cut & paste the output to the forum or email using a computer
running email or a browser.

You can also setup your Raspberry Pi headless with a serial
console. Running ssh or the serial console usually requires you to login
when you start a new session. You can disable auto login when using a
monitor from the menu I described above that will require you to login
when you boot your Raspberry Pi.

google: raspberry pi auto login

/Basil

Richard Waller via Groups.Io <rewaller=verizon.net@groups.io> writes: