Topics

Compatible case, heat sink, and fans?

Patrick - KJ4MUB <ptwaugh@...>

What Raspberry Pi 3B+ case do you use with the DRAWS HAT?

Also, what heat sinks/fan fits?

Warm regards,

73’s Patrick

K3BBG - Branson, Missouri
Tri-Lakes ARC Member

A custom case is under development, it will be available after the new year.

On Sun, Dec 16, 2018 at 10:25 PM Patrick - KJ4MUB <ptwaugh@...> wrote:

Warm regards,

73’s Patrick

Tri-Lakes ARC Member

--

John D. Hays
Edmonds, WA
K7VE

Gayland Gump

Make sure it has room for a fan!

Gayland
KG7GCF

On Sun, Dec 16, 2018 at 10:29 PM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
A custom case is under development, it will be available after the new year.

On Sun, Dec 16, 2018 at 10:25 PM Patrick - KJ4MUB <ptwaugh@...> wrote:

Warm regards,

73’s Patrick

Tri-Lakes ARC Member

--

John D. Hays
Edmonds, WA
K7VE

Fred Meier <fsmeier@...>

Good morning Patrick.

Good one, ‘Warm regards’. Great question, good humor.

Merry Christmas all.

73, Fred VE7FMN

From: udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io <udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Patrick - KJ4MUB
Sent: Sunday, December 16, 2018 7:09 PM
To: udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io
Subject: [udrc] Compatible case, heat sink, and fans?

Warm regards,

73’s Patrick

Tri-Lakes ARC Member

Robert Sears

Edited

I don't see the need for a fan on a R-Pi,  even the need for a heatsink is debatable.

You are limited by the Pi-Hat as far as heat sink height.

Fred Meier <fsmeier@...>

IMHO, every microprocessor benefits from improved cooling. The more the processors are enclosed in cases and by add ons, the more important supplemental cooling becomes.

From: udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io <udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Robert Sears
Sent: Monday, December 17, 2018 8:53 AM
Subject: Re: [udrc] Compatible case, heat sink, and fans?

[Edited Message Follows]

I don't see the need for a fan on a R-Pi,  even the need for a heatsink is debatable.

Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ

I, too, am a fan of cooling.  I have the extend cases with fans for my PiGate and PiGate RMS boxes using the Pi-TNC.

I was hoping the DRAWS would come with the riser pins to I could add the 3.5" screen on top instead of routing the thin cable under and around or needing to use the HDMI port.

Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ
ewbloom@...
Sent from Webmail access

-----Original Message-----
To: udrc <udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io>
Sent: Mon, Dec 17, 2018 12:09 pm

IMHO, every microprocessor benefits from improved cooling. The more the processors are enclosed in cases and by add ons, the more important supplemental cooling becomes.

From: udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io <udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Robert Sears
Sent: Monday, December 17, 2018 8:53 AM

[Edited Message Follows]

Robert Sears

Meh... sure it makes us feel better when the CPU is running at 55c versus 60c, but what is really the benefit? 

I mean sure we can argue reliability and longevity all day long but honestly you are talking about a ten year lifespan versus an eleven year lifespan.

Will you even care about a Raspberry Pi ten years or eleven from now?

The Broadcom BCM2837 itself runs about 20 degrees cooler in CPU intensive benchmarks compared to the Broadcom BCM2836 that the Pi-3 used just due to the integrated heatsink and improved board layout on the Pi-3B+

Kenny Richards

I think there are valid points raised by people in this thread, so I just want to share some personal experience. I ran a Pi for months as a repeater controller on the bench and eventually in my garage while waiting to move it to a hill top site. Never had a problem with the entire setup once it was dialed in. Then over the summer I started experiencing regular reboots that I couldn't explain. Ultimately I realized out the temp in side the building on the hill was about 15-20 degrees warmer than my shack or garage. Adding an additional fan solved the problem and according to the metrics, it dropped the CPU temp down about 10 degrees. Now that winter is here, the fan isn't running at all and no reboot problems.

I suspect most of us don't need a heat sink or fan for their UDRC/HATS enabled Pi. But there are situations where it might be necessary given environmental circumstances.

Kenny

Fred Meier <fsmeier@...>

Here is a link to a great micro study that substantiates Mr. Sears assertion that a heatsink helps you feel better but probably won’t materially benefit the RPi- http://www.raspberryconnect.com/miscellaneous/item/317-raspberry-pi-cooling-cpu-heatsinks-do-you-need-them

Sent: Monday, December 17, 2018 10:35 AM

Meh... sure it makes us feel better when the CPU is running at 55c versus 60c, but what is really the benefit? 

I mean sure we can argue reliability and longevity all day long but honestly you are talking about a ten year lifespan versus an eleven year lifespan.

The Broadcom BCM2837 itself runs about 20 degrees cooler in CPU intensive benchmarks compared to the Broadcom BCM2836 that the Pi-3 used just due to the integrated heatsink and improved board layout on the Pi-3B+

What humor?

Patrick Waugh, M.A., #123263

On Dec 17, 2018, at 10:53, Robert Sears <kf7vop@...> wrote:

I don't see the need for a fan on a R-Pi,  even a heatsink is not really necessary.

There is definitely a need for BOTH a heat sink and a fan.  The Pi reaches critical temperatures within about 2 mins without.  

On Dec 17, 2018, at 18:48, Patrick Waugh <ptwaugh@...> wrote:

What humor?

I don't see the need for a fan on a R-Pi,  even a heatsink is not really necessary.

If you don't mind lower performance in 2 mins flat.  If you use science and data, and MEASURE the CPU temperature you will soon see you in fact need them. 

Probation & Parole Officer II
District 21 Field Office - Branson
(417) 239-3274 Direct
(417) 337-8310 Fax

On Dec 17, 2018, at 18:48, Patrick Waugh <ptwaugh@...> wrote:

What humor?

And it would NOT apply to a Pi 3B+, which is what we are talking about.  Further, I have conducted my own measurements, and you should too. 

If you don't care about performance and heat injury to your components, then nope it's not for you.  But, indeed if you do not cool your Pi 3B+, you will not maximize performance and life. 

I prefer to run fully protected even at 100% duty cycle.

On Dec 17, 2018, at 14:39, Fred Meier <fsmeier@...> wrote:

Here is a link to a great micro study that substantiates Mr. Sears assertion that a heatsink helps you feel better but probably won’t materially benefit the RPi- http://www.raspberryconnect.com/miscellaneous/item/317-raspberry-pi-cooling-cpu-heatsinks-do-you-need-them

Sent: Monday, December 17, 2018 10:35 AM

<image001.jpg><image002.jpg>

Robert Sears

Meh... I am a Test Engineer and I do environmental, EMC, HALT, seismic and, all kinds of design qualification testing of electronic products. In fact we would not even be having this conversation if not for my companies products.  Anyway I have been using Raspberry Pi's since they first came out. I have a couple Raspberry Pi's that have been running in a case  24/7 for YEARS without a heatsink or fan, streaming police scanner audio to Broadcastify.

Now maybe if you were taxing the CPU hard it might throttle back due to heat, but how much CPU do you think is needed to run a few ham apps like Fldigi, Direwolf, Xastir? 

In Whatcom county we have been using the UDRC2 on Pi's since they came out and at the most you might see peaks upto %20 CPU utilization in the Raspberry Pi2. Even my Pi that is digitizing and streaming audio only runs at about %10-15 consistently. I don't know what you are doing to see "lower performance in 2 mins flat", but I would say you are doing it wrong.

Honestly like I said before if it makes you feel better by all means stick a heatsink on it. But a fan is another story, all that is going to do is pull dust and contaminants into the case and all over the Pi. The resulting build-up of dust and grime will reduce the heatsinks ability to cool and could make things worse in the long run.  

When you actual do science and MEASURE something, let us know. :)

Probation & Parole Officer II
District 21 Field Office - Branson
(417) 239-3274 Direct
(417) 337-8310 Fax

On Dec 21, 2018, at 09:44, Robert Sears <kf7vop@...> wrote:

Meh... I am a Test Engineer and I do environmental, EMC, HALT, seismic and, all kinds of design qualification testing of electronic products. In fact we would not even be having this conversation if not for my companies products.  Anyway I have been using Raspberry Pi's since they first came out. I have a couple Raspberry Pi's that have been running in a case  24/7 for YEARS without a heatsink or fan, streaming police scanner audio to Broadcastify.

Now maybe if you were taxing the CPU hard it might throttle back due to heat, but how much CPU do you think is needed to run a few ham apps like Fldigi, Direwolf, Xastir? 

In Whatcom county we have been using the UDRC2 on Pi's since they came out and at the most you might see peaks upto %20 CPU utilization in the Raspberry Pi2. Even my Pi that is digitizing and streaming audio only runs at about %10-15 consistently. I don't know what you are doing to see "lower performance in 2 mins flat", but I would say you are doing it wrong.

Honestly like I said before if it makes you feel better by all means stick a heatsink on it. But a fan is another story, all that is going to do is pull dust and contaminants into the case and all over the Pi. The resulting build-up of dust and grime will reduce the heatsinks ability to cool and could make things worse in the long run.