DRAWS GPS Altitude limit #draws #gps


Dave N2OA
 

I'm looking into launching a high altitude balloon for one of the local schools and am considering using the DRAWS platform for APRS and data. Is there a altitude limitation on the GPS used?

Thanks,

Dave
N2OA


Patrick - KJ4MUB <ptwaugh@...>
 

Yes.  Do not go above the GPS satellites. Lol

Patrick Waugh, M.A., #123263
Probation & Parole Officer II
District 21 Field Office - Branson
(417) 239-3274 Direct
(417) 337-8310 Fax


On Dec 17, 2018, at 09:02, Dave N2OA <kdcarlso@...> wrote:

I'm looking into launching a high altitude balloon for one of the local schools and am considering using the DRAWS platform for APRS and data. Is there a altitude limitation on the GPS used?

Thanks,

Dave
N2OA


Dave N2OA
 

I’m guessing that you have no idea why I asked. COCOM, which deals with export limits has a regulation stating that a GPS must shutdown if the speed exceeds 1000 knots OR 18km altitude. Many manufacturers implement this as an and rather than an or condition making it useless for high altitude balloons. 

Dave
N2OA 


On Dec 17, 2018, at 7:58 PM, Patrick - KJ4MUB <ptwaugh@...> wrote:

Yes.  Do not go above the GPS satellites. Lol

Patrick Waugh, M.A., #123263
Probation & Parole Officer II
District 21 Field Office - Branson
(417) 239-3274 Direct
(417) 337-8310 Fax


On Dec 17, 2018, at 09:02, Dave N2OA <kdcarlso@...> wrote:

I'm looking into launching a high altitude balloon for one of the local schools and am considering using the DRAWS platform for APRS and data. Is there a altitude limitation on the GPS used?

Thanks,

Dave
N2OA


 

Having done a HAB project, we used a Big Red Bee as our primary tracker and were experimenting with the Trackuino (https://github.com/trackuino) that uses the SparkFun GPS-11058 (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/retired/11058).  I'm not sure what the replacement is for the GPS-11058, as that's discontinued, but there should be a newer version that still supports the OR condition.

Craig / KF7LLA


Brian Badger
 

I don’t know the exact model used but the S1216 GNSS module datasheet says that it will support <18000m OR <515 m/s.  “Either may be exceeded but not both”

Brian N0KZ 


On Dec 17, 2018, at 7:02 PM, Craig Baker, KF7LLA <kf7lla@...> wrote:

Having done a HAB project, we used a Big Red Bee as our primary tracker and were experimenting with the Trackuino (https://github.com/trackuino) that uses the SparkFun GPS-11058 (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/retired/11058).  I'm not sure what the replacement is for the GPS-11058, as that's discontinued, but there should be a newer version that still supports the OR condition.

Craig / KF7LLA


 

We are using the S1216F8-GL

Datasheet:



On Dec 17, 2018, at 7:37 PM, Brian Badger <brian@...> wrote:

I don’t know the exact model used but the S1216 GNSS module datasheet says that it will support <18000m OR <515 m/s.  “Either may be exceeded but not both”

Brian N0KZ 


On Dec 17, 2018, at 7:02 PM, Craig Baker, KF7LLA <kf7lla@...> wrote:

Having done a HAB project, we used a Big Red Bee as our primary tracker and were experimenting with the Trackuino (https://github.com/trackuino) that uses the SparkFun GPS-11058 (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/retired/11058).  I'm not sure what the replacement is for the GPS-11058, as that's discontinued, but there should be a newer version that still supports the OR condition.

Craig / KF7LLA