Topics

Cant turn off direwolf and ax25 #draws #direwolf #ax25 #configuration #management

Bob Orrett <boborrett@...>

I am a newbie to RPi and linux.
I have the beta6 installed and running. I cannot seem to be able to stop direwolf and ax25 so that ft8 and js8call will get access to the draws sound card.
I entered

cd
cd bin
sudo su
./ax25-stop

The pi returns the command prompt but not anything like "ax25 has stopped".
I see the correct sound card input and output codec in the settings for these programs (ft8 and js8call) but no audio from the ft817 radio. I had this working before. What am I missing?

Bob ve3obo

On Sun, Dec 23, 2018, 18:59 Basil Gunn <basil@... wrote:

Before you update your image capture your current alsamixer settings
somewhere.  Just run ./n7nix/bin/alsa-show.sh & make a copy of result.

Latest image current_beta.zip has been updated to draws_beta6.zip

http://images.nwdigitalradio.com/

List of changes since draws_beta5.zip

313d362 - n7nix, 22 hours ago : Explicity describe port names to use with beacon command.
e3264e2 - n7nix, 22 hours ago : Document default login & password.
95d9aa3 - n7nix, 22 hours ago : Make a default hostname to handle CR only at hostname prompt.
1f2ad74 - n7nix, 25 hours ago : Set default ADC Level to zero.
aa04a73 - n7nix, 26 hours ago : Add ax.25 ip address prompt & change default addresses.
dcdd59f - n7nix, 26 hours ago : Enable log of measurements, statistics & tracking.
3c78e73 - n7nix, 26 hours ago : Fix 'completed' log file entry
57c63aa - n7nix, 2 days ago : Define MODE_9600_ENABLE
68ef2d9 - n7nix, 2 days ago : Set default LO Driver Gain to be more generic.
fb0beff - n7nix, 2 days ago : Display right & left inputs on a single line, add debug option.
1de12a3 - n7nix, 2 days ago : Add adjustment of chrony controlled clock.
d13df5d - n7nix, 2 days ago : Move to local bin & add input control display.
d816ff6 - n7nix, 2 days ago : Fix routing of AFOUT & DISCOUT for default case.
95ab064 - n7nix, 4 days ago : Add Test RPi sound section.
56d3978 - n7nix, 4 days ago : Add description on enabling onboard sound function.
134acd9 - n7nix, 4 days ago : Add display of alsa controls.
0d7715a - n7nix, 4 days ago : Update jscall to latest version.
337bdad - n7nix, 4 days ago : Add description on enabling onboard sound function.
ad0ba74 - n7nix, 4 days ago : Add comments for copying files.
cc88f97 - n7nix, 5 days ago : Add script to collect data on the chrony daemon.
4f4d1c5 - n7nix, 5 days ago : Add more notes on debugging chrony.
ad44b8f - n7nix, 5 days ago : Add links to the image files.
b36acc7 - n7nix, 5 days ago : Update program installatin table.
95fede5 - n7nix, 5 days ago : Add table of installed programs for DRAWS image.
8848971 - n7nix, 5 days ago : Fixes for iptables install.
183b3d2 - n7nix, 6 days ago : Add iptables install/config in core config.
e90b7bb - n7nix, 6 days ago : Fix variable USER not being set in BIN_DIR
deee5fe - n7nix, 6 days ago : Add description to verify direwolf is running.
4f5da24 - n7nix, 6 days ago : A DRAWS to ptt GPIO table.
77d1d10 - n7nix, 6 days ago : Include port name in beacon & message.
4b4f507 - n7nix, 6 days ago : Change connector name to left & right.
835a480 - n7nix, 6 days ago : Explicitly set left & right channel GPIO for DRAWS.
f683948 - n7nix, 6 days ago : Exit script if direwolf already running.
372d9f5 - n7nix, 7 days ago : Check for compass default password &
prompt to change.

if direwolf & ax-25 are already stopped then running ./ax25-stop does
not respond with anything.

type pidof direwolf
if no process id is printed direwolf is not running

try starting & stopping it.
./ax25-start
./ax25-stop

Is your radio set for AFOUT or DISCOUT?
- On your radio what is Menu #39 (PKT MIC) set to?
- On your radio what is Menu #40 (PKT RATE) set to?
Are you using VHF/UHF or HF?
Which audio port are you using left or right?

Send me the console output of
cd
cd bin
./showudrc.sh
./alsa-show.sh

draws-beta5 image defaulted to using DISCOUT (IN1)
draws-beta6 image defaults to using AFOUT (IN2)

/Basil

Bob Orrett <boborrett@...> writes:

I am a newbie to RPi and linux.
I have the beta6 installed and running. I cannot seem to be able to stop
direwolf and ax25 so that ft8 and js8call will get access to the draws
sound card.
I entered

cd
cd bin
sudo su
./ax25-stop

The pi returns the command prompt but not anything like "ax25 has stopped".
I see the correct sound card input and output codec in the settings for
these programs (ft8 and js8call) but no audio from the ft817 radio. I had
this working before. What am I missing?

Bob ve3obo

Bob Orrett <boborrett@...>

Merry Christmas,  Basil.
I dont expect to hear back from you for a few days.
I am trying to get wsjtx and js8call running. I did have this working so I know the 817 radio is ok. I could not use the supplied cables but I have an alternate cable that worked. However, now, with a new image burned, I cannot get the audio part to work. I do see the correct codec in settings for wsjtx and js8call but not audio appears. I
As you suggested, I tried stating direwolf with ./ax25-start but I get this message
A dependance job for ax25-mheardd.. service failed. See 'journalctl -xe' for details.
I did run journalctl -xe and got a full page report. I can screen capture it but I have no idea how to send it to you.
In red it says "Failed to start AX25 device"

So there must be something wrong with my new image but I have tried several times.
I did notice that the one time it did work, on first bootup ,I was asked a few questions before it went to the standard desktop. I have never been asked since for anything, no passwords, no timezone, etc, for any new image I have tried, either bata5 or beta5. It just goes directly to the standard desktop upon bootup. Even first time. To burn the image i download zipped file from your download page. Then unzip with windows 10 then burn to the sd card with Etcher. I usually just burn onto the same sd card that had the previous burn. Am I doing this correctly? Does it matter that the sd card was not empty when I burn onto it?
I will try another burn with a new download.

Btw my return on journalctl -xe also said
Error setting device : ax0 parks

Same for ax1

Hope that's enough info
Bob ve3obo

On Mon, Dec 24, 2018, 01:21 Basil Gunn <basil@... wrote:

if direwolf & ax-25 are already stopped then running ./ax25-stop does
not respond with anything.

type pidof direwolf
if no process id is printed direwolf is not running

try starting & stopping it.
./ax25-start
./ax25-stop

Is your radio set for AFOUT or DISCOUT?
 - On your radio what is Menu #39 (PKT MIC) set to?
 - On your radio what is Menu #40 (PKT RATE) set to?
Are you using VHF/UHF or HF?
Which audio port are you using left or right?

Send me the console output of
cd
cd bin
./showudrc.sh
./alsa-show.sh

draws-beta5 image defaulted to using DISCOUT (IN1)
draws-beta6 image defaults to using AFOUT (IN2)

/Basil

Bob Orrett <boborrett@...> writes:

> I am a newbie to RPi and linux.
> I have the beta6 installed and running. I cannot seem to be able to stop
> direwolf and ax25 so that ft8 and js8call will get access to the draws
> sound card.
> I entered
>
> cd
> cd bin
> sudo su
> ./ax25-stop
>
> The pi returns the command prompt but not anything like "ax25 has stopped".
> I see the correct sound card input and output codec in the settings for
> these programs (ft8 and js8call) but no audio from the ft817 radio. I had
> this working before. What am I missing?
>
> Bob ve3obo

Bob Orrett <boborrett@...>

Forgot
You asked for output from ./showudrc.sh

I get bash: ./showudrc.sh:  no such file or directory.
I was in /bin
Bob ve3obo

On Mon, Dec 24, 2018, 01:21 Basil Gunn <basil@... wrote:

if direwolf & ax-25 are already stopped then running ./ax25-stop does
not respond with anything.

type pidof direwolf
if no process id is printed direwolf is not running

try starting & stopping it.
./ax25-start
./ax25-stop

Is your radio set for AFOUT or DISCOUT?
 - On your radio what is Menu #39 (PKT MIC) set to?
 - On your radio what is Menu #40 (PKT RATE) set to?
Are you using VHF/UHF or HF?
Which audio port are you using left or right?

Send me the console output of
cd
cd bin
./showudrc.sh
./alsa-show.sh

draws-beta5 image defaulted to using DISCOUT (IN1)
draws-beta6 image defaults to using AFOUT (IN2)

/Basil

Bob Orrett <boborrett@...> writes:

> I am a newbie to RPi and linux.
> I have the beta6 installed and running. I cannot seem to be able to stop
> direwolf and ax25 so that ft8 and js8call will get access to the draws
> sound card.
> I entered
>
> cd
> cd bin
> sudo su
> ./ax25-stop
>
> The pi returns the command prompt but not anything like "ax25 has stopped".
> I see the correct sound card input and output codec in the settings for
> these programs (ft8 and js8call) but no audio from the ft817 radio. I had
> this working before. What am I missing?
>
> Bob ve3obo

Jack Spitznagel

Bob,

That is a mistake I often make when I forget and reflexively try to use DOS/Windows conventions in LINUX. It is confusing.

You want to be in “~/bin”, not “/bin”. note the “~”!

In the DOS/Windows world that would be the same as saying “cd \home\pi\bin”.

This is the bin folder in your user account “home” directory. You will find show

Hope that help

--
J Spitznagel
Science River LLC

Art Olson

Bob

Can’t speak for this implementation as I am waiting for the next DRAW run to be shipped. However my experience with other rpi implementations, my SD card contained a single image. I make sure by reformatting with SD formatter then burn image with etcher. You could try this approach.

FWIW

Art

On Dec 24, 2018, at 8:58 PM, Bob Orrett <boborrett@...> wrote:

> [...]

./showudrc.sh
./alsa-show.sh

draws-beta5 image defaulted to using DISCOUT (IN1)
draws-beta6 image defaults to using AFOUT (IN2)

/Basil

Bob Orrett <boborrett@...> writes:

> I am a newbie to RPi and linux.
> I have the beta6 installed and running. I cannot seem to be able to stop
> direwolf and ax25 so that ft8 and js8call will get access to the draws
> sound card.
> I entered
>
> cd
> cd bin
> sudo su
> ./ax25-stop
>
> The pi returns the command prompt but not anything like "ax25 has stopped".
> I see the correct sound card input and output codec in the settings for
> these programs (ft8 and js8call) but no audio from the ft817 radio. I had

Bob Orrett <boborrett@...>

Good idea. I will do that.
Merry Christmas
Ve3obo

On Tue, Dec 25, 2018, 00:29 Art Olson <olson339@... wrote:
> [...]

./showudrc.sh
./alsa-show.sh

draws-beta5 image defaulted to using DISCOUT (IN1)
draws-beta6 image defaults to using AFOUT (IN2)

/Basil

Bob Orrett <boborrett@...> writes:

> I am a newbie to RPi and linux.
> I have the beta6 installed and running. I cannot seem to be able to stop
> direwolf and ax25 so that ft8 and js8call will get access to the draws
> sound card.
> I entered
>
> cd
> cd bin
> sudo su
> ./ax25-stop
>
> The pi returns the command prompt but not anything like "ax25 has stopped".
> I see the correct sound card input and output codec in the settings for
> these programs (ft8 and js8call) but no audio from the ft817 radio. I had

f6bvp

I noticed that killing direwolf on Compass Linux beta 1.5,  ax.25 interface udr0 and udr1 are removed freeing access to draws sound card.

sudo killall direwolf

is a quite simple command indeed.

Bernard, f6bvp

Le 24/12/2018 à 04:48, Bob Orrett a écrit :
[...]

List of changes since draws_beta5.zip

[...]

Bernard, F6BVP
http://f6bvp.org
--
Si vous ne souhaitez plus recevoir d'informations de la part du projet
"Le chant des étoiles" de l'association Dimension Parabole

This will leave the AX.25 stack in a weird state, please use Basil's scripts to start and stop AX.25 and it will start/stop direwolf.

If you start direwolf without AX.25, then it can be stopped without AX.25

On Tue, Dec 25, 2018 at 9:35 AM f6bvp <f6bvp@...> wrote:

[...]

List of changes since draws_beta5.zip

[...]

John and Basil,

Good point on the appropriate scripts (not just killing direwolf)! I will be loading Beta 6 later today…

Suggestion: Is there any way these script functions can be put into/called by a “DRAWS/udrc control panel” app?

As it was in Beta 5, having Basil’s scripts scattered between ~/bin, ~/n7nix/bin, and ~/n7nix/debug made doing the set up and testing a bit of a challenge. Jumping around the different pieces of the directory tree made for some interesting “not found” errors.

Good work guys! We really appreciate what you are doing.

Jack – KD4IZ

[...]

List of changes since draws_beta5.zip

[...]

Basil Gunn

Hi Jack,

As it was in Beta 5, having Basil’s scripts scattered between ~/bin,
~/n7nix/bin, and ~/n7nix/debug made doing the set up and testing a bit
of a challenge. Jumping around the different pieces of the directory
tree made for some interesting “not found” errors.
In the beta6 image after you have run the app_config.sh core script most
of the commonly used scripts are copied to the local bin, ~/bin and that
will be in your PATH if you are logged in as user pi. So you only need
to type the name of the script. If you are required to be root then
just:
cd /home/pi/bin
./<name_of_the_script>

/Basil

Good work guys! We really appreciate what you are doing.

Jack – KD4IZ

This will leave the AX.25 stack in a weird state, please use Basil's
scripts to start and stop AX.25 and it will start/stop direwolf.

Jack Spitznagel

Hi Basil,

Thanks! That will help.

Jack

This will leave the AX.25 stack in a weird state, please use Basil's
scripts to start and stop AX.25 and it will start/stop direwolf.

--
J Spitznagel
Science River LLC
KD4IZ

Bob Orrett <boborrett@...>

Thanks for the killall direwolf suggestion but I seem to have deeper issues. The response to that command was "direwolf: no process found"
I have downloaded the Draws beta6 image about 3 or 4 times on different sd cards and direwolf does not seem to run,  among other things. I do get the usual desktop for rspbian stretch. Everything looks great. Ft8 and jso call will not work. I have had them working before and I have made no other changes to the setup except a new image burned onto ghe sd card. I am at a loss. Must be the way I am burning it to the sd card. I am using etcher on windows 10.
Bob ve3obo

On Tue, Dec 25, 2018, 12:35 f6bvp <f6bvp@... wrote:

[...]

List of changes since draws_beta5.zip

[...]

I hate to admit this but I don't know what is meant by "run Basil's scripts"
Was I supposed to do something after the first boot up of beta6 ? Everything looks normal after the boot up.  Exceot ft8 and js8call do not get access to the soundcard and I cannot seem to stop or start direwolf.
Bob ve3obo

Basil Gunn

Read this:
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/DRAWS_CONFIG.md

The step where you run

app_config.sh core

setups up your image & starts direwolf from systemd.
If you read to the bottom of the document you will learn the proper way
to stop & disable direwolf and the ax.25 stack.

Using killall leaves the ax.25 stack compromised and will give
unpredictable results later on.

On Sun, Dec 23, 2018, 18:59 Basil Gunn <@basil860 wrote:

Before you update your image capture your current alsamixer settings
somewhere. Just run ./n7nix/bin/alsa-show.sh & make a copy of result.

Latest image current_beta.zip has been updated to draws_beta6.zip

http://images.nwdigitalradio.com/

List of changes since draws_beta5.zip

[...]

Art - KC7SDA

as an fyi you don't NEED ax25 to run direwolf, I never installed the AX.25 stack on any of my ham computers and I can still run direwolf and xastir perfectly fine

That is correct.

Direwolf can run independently of the AX.25 stack.  And programs that can talk directly using agwpe or kiss over the network work just fine (e.g. YAAC, Xastir).  Basil has done a lot of work to have a stable, reproducible AX.25 stack available for a variety of programs that need it, including an RMS, BBS, and various other applications (commonly used in EMCOMM).  While running the AX.25 application stack, these (mostly APRS) applications can also run through the same direwolf instance, using the same radios, over agwpe or networked KISS.

Direwolf by itself is also a capable digipeater and igate, though we tend to use it more often as a modem and let other programs handle the higher level protocols.

On Tue, Dec 25, 2018 at 5:44 PM Art - KC7SDA <nouse4anick@...> wrote:
as an fyi you don't NEED ax25 to run direwolf, I never installed the AX.25 stack on any of my ham computers and I can still run direwolf and xastir perfectly fine

Jack Spitznagel

Art,

My experience as well, except when one might want to setup tunnel connection as part of the ampr.net (“44.” Net). I plan to be doing that with some DRAWS functions. I thought that was a big deal out there in the PacNW.

Jack – kd4iz

Art - KC7SDA <@nouse4anick> writes:

as an fyi you don't NEED ax25 to run direwolf, I never installed the
AX.25 stack on any of my ham computers and I can still run direwolf
and xastir perfectly fine
As another FYI you do NEED AX.25 for Winlink on the RPi, paclink-unix &
Linux RMS Gateway, also the BBS. Also it is much easier with more
capability to use the ax.25 beacon command then to APRS beacon with
direwolf.

/Basil

Steve Stroh

Jack:

AX.25 isn’t needed for Net-44... that’s a TCP/IP function.

Steve Stroh (personal / general): stevestroh@...