Topics

Cant turn off direwolf and ax25 #draws #direwolf #ax25 #configuration #management

Basil Gunn

I appreciate your comments. It's a like visiting another country where no
one speaks English. It's easy to get lost. We stumble around and hope that
we end up somewhere safe. ūüėä. I probably should not have ventured into the
first order of draws but I couldn't resist because it's exactly what I
wanted to simplify my portable station. I have it working with wsjt-x and
js8call. I am proud of that.
Great to hear you have some things working.

On the other hand, if only experts had purchased the first edition, then
the developers would get a totally skewed impression.
Clear and simple user
Please know your problems & feed back are very important to us.

guides are going to he critical to the success of this project. This is a
human endeavour, not just technology.
I am using the wiki at groups.io now and if you check it out you should
see I've made an attempt to fix problems that you previously brought up.

https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/DRAWS%3A-Image-getting-started

I really want this to work. I think it's a brilliant idea and I support
their work completely.
Please keep using the forum for suggestions & feedback.
/Basil

Thanks again, Joeseph.
Bob Orrett. Ve3obo

On Thu, Dec 27, 2018, 09:04 Joseph Vilardo <@k3jv wrote:

Bob

I have been had more than once with the underscore. Depending on what you
view it with, printed or on a screen, it can disappear! I found that the
disappearing act is most vulnerable on a screen, the cursor can hide it.

Bob Orrett <boborrett@...>

Thanks Joeseph
I appreciate your comments. It's a like visiting another country where no one speaks English.¬† It's easy to get lost. We stumble around and hope that we end up somewhere safe. ūüėä. I probably should not have ventured into the first order of draws but I couldn't resist because it's exactly what I wanted to simplify my portable station. I have it working with wsjt-x and js8call. I am proud of that.¬†
On the other hand, if only experts had purchased the first edition, then the developers would get a totally skewed impression. Clear and simple user guides are going to he critical to the success of this project. This is a human endeavour, not just technology.

On Thu, Dec 27, 2018, 09:04 Joseph Vilardo <jvilardo@... wrote:

Bob

I have been had more than once with the underscore. Depending on what you view it with, printed or on a screen, it can disappear! I found that the disappearing act is most vulnerable on a screen, the cursor can hide it.

There are some other, what I call nuances but an experienced Linux programmer calls "notation conventions"  in Basil's instructions. I am not an experienced Linux programmer and if I repeatedly try a command and get stumped, sometimes I trying variations of the commands until I get it to work. Many times I have to walk away and come back later.  The red tilde is still a mystery for me and if you print the instructions the red tilde show up as a mere suggestion, it is really hard to see.

I found some other anomalies in getting FLDIGI to work that are not shown in the instructions that I will try to get clarified by Basil but for now I have it running without issues but also not as the instructions tell you. I hate to burden the guy with "MY" concerns or problems when there are many guys wrestling with stopping direwolf and ax25 or just getting the image core verified.

If you venture into fldigi and run into problems let me know I have some minor changes that worked for me.

73 K3JV Joe

On 12/26/2018 9:25 AM, Bob Orrett wrote:
Finally after many frustrating  days, wsjtx and js8call are working with the draws hat. It was my fault and probably a rookie mistake but I will explain in case others are making the same mistake.  It is in Basil's script. I read the script each time that I loaded a new image but I misinterpreted  how to use it.
There is a line that says, "if you want direwolf functionality, do this". Well , I didnt want direwolf so I didn't do the script below. A mistake! When I finally decided to run that script everything worked. I was always wondering  why I was never asked for a password (nwcompass).
But even then it took many tries before i finally noticed that between "app" and "config" there is an underscore "_" not a dash"-". I have never seen and underscore in a command before and the print is very small. I realize now that i should get my email with the raspberry pi so that i can cut and paste instead of read and type. Linux doesn't help you when you make a typing error. Just says that the command does not exist. That make me think there is something wrong with the program, not my typing.
I am a retired teacher and one thing i learned is that giving foolproof instructions is very difficult. There are often assumptions made by the reader and the writer that can result is complete misunderstandings. Adding the reason for a given command is a big help. Don't worry about insulting the reader, give hints and examples. Explain what the response to a given command should be.
Well, i feels good to be over this hurdle, on to the next.
Bob ve3obo.

Joseph Vilardo

[...]

Art - KC7SDA

On Tue, Dec 25, 2018 at 09:32 PM, Jack Spitznagel wrote:

Art,

My experience as well, except when one might want to setup tunnel connection as part of the ampr.net (‚Äú44.‚ÄĚ Net). I plan to be doing that with some DRAWS functions. I thought that was a big deal out there in the PacNW.

Jack ‚Äď kd4iz

So, in the majority of whatcom county, from my understanding almost everything is handled via fsq, I think a few other modes are used for transmitting data however I don't think ampr (44 net) is used as much (or at least i've not seen it in any discussions on the MT Baker digital group).

also, the thing to keep in mind is that not everyone is going to use this board in the same way (I don't ever think i'm going to do an rms gateway or winlink on my setup), it might be a good idea to do groups for what people want to do (ie aprs with fldigi for example, or aprs with winlink and rms gateway and bbs)... this way people who want to only do a few things (like aprs and fldigi) don't have to wade through the more in depth/specialized options (ax.25/rms/winlink/etc) that they probably will never need or want

Bob Orrett <boborrett@...>

[...]

Jack Spitznagel

Stand corrected.Still a lot to learn (and relearn) since I last looked at this about 25 years ago.
Jack

On Dec 26, 2018, at 03:22, Steve Stroh <steve.stroh@...> wrote:

Jack:

AX.25 isn’t needed for Net-44... that’s a TCP/IP function.

On Tue, Dec 25, 2018 at 22:49 Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:

Art - KC7SDA <nouse4anick@...> writes:

> as an fyi you don't NEED ax25 to run direwolf, I never installed the
> AX.25 stack on any of my ham computers and I can still run direwolf
> and xastir perfectly fine

As another FYI you do NEED AX.25 for Winlink on the RPi, paclink-unix &
Linux RMS Gateway, also the BBS. Also it is much easier with more
capability to use the ax.25 beacon command then to APRS beacon with
direwolf.

Steve Stroh (personal / general): stevestroh@...

--
J Spitznagel
Science River LLC

Steve Stroh

Jack:

AX.25 isn’t needed for Net-44... that’s a TCP/IP function.

On Tue, Dec 25, 2018 at 22:49 Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:

Art - KC7SDA <nouse4anick@...> writes:

> as an fyi you don't NEED ax25 to run direwolf, I never installed the
> AX.25 stack on any of my ham computers and I can still run direwolf
> and xastir perfectly fine

As another FYI you do NEED AX.25 for Winlink on the RPi, paclink-unix &
Linux RMS Gateway, also the BBS. Also it is much easier with more
capability to use the ax.25 beacon command then to APRS beacon with
direwolf.

Steve Stroh (personal / general): stevestroh@...

Basil Gunn

Art - KC7SDA <@nouse4anick> writes:

as an fyi you don't NEED ax25 to run direwolf, I never installed the
AX.25 stack on any of my ham computers and I can still run direwolf
and xastir perfectly fine
As another FYI you do NEED AX.25 for Winlink on the RPi, paclink-unix &
Linux RMS Gateway, also the BBS. Also it is much easier with more
capability to use the ax.25 beacon command then to APRS beacon with
direwolf.

/Basil

Jack Spitznagel

Art,

My experience as well, except when one might want to setup tunnel connection as part of the ampr.net (‚Äú44.‚ÄĚ Net). I plan to be doing that with some DRAWS functions. I thought that was a big deal out there in the PacNW.

Jack ‚Äď kd4iz

as an fyi you don't NEED ax25 to run direwolf, I never installed the AX.25 stack on any of my ham computers and I can still run direwolf and xastir perfectly fine

--
J Spitznagel
Science River LLC
KD4IZ

That is correct.

Direwolf can run independently of the AX.25 stack.  And programs that can talk directly using agwpe or kiss over the network work just fine (e.g. YAAC, Xastir).  Basil has done a lot of work to have a stable, reproducible AX.25 stack available for a variety of programs that need it, including an RMS, BBS, and various other applications (commonly used in EMCOMM).  While running the AX.25 application stack, these (mostly APRS) applications can also run through the same direwolf instance, using the same radios, over agwpe or networked KISS.

Direwolf by itself is also a capable digipeater and igate, though we tend to use it more often as a modem and let other programs handle the higher level protocols.

On Tue, Dec 25, 2018 at 5:44 PM Art - KC7SDA <nouse4anick@...> wrote:
as an fyi you don't NEED ax25 to run direwolf, I never installed the AX.25 stack on any of my ham computers and I can still run direwolf and xastir perfectly fine

Art - KC7SDA

as an fyi you don't NEED ax25 to run direwolf, I never installed the AX.25 stack on any of my ham computers and I can still run direwolf and xastir perfectly fine

Basil Gunn

Read this:
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/DRAWS_CONFIG.md

The step where you run

app_config.sh core

setups up your image & starts direwolf from systemd.
If you read to the bottom of the document you will learn the proper way
to stop & disable direwolf and the ax.25 stack.

Using killall leaves the ax.25 stack compromised and will give
unpredictable results later on.

/Basil

Bob Orrett <boborrett@...> writes:

Thanks for the killall direwolf suggestion but I seem to have deeper
issues. The response to that command was "direwolf: no process found"
I have downloaded the Draws beta6 image about 3 or 4 times on different sd
cards and direwolf does not seem to run, among other things. I do get the
usual desktop for rspbian stretch. Everything looks great. Ft8 and jso call
will not work. I have had them working before and I have made no other
changes to the setup except a new image burned onto ghe sd card. I am at a
loss. Must be the way I am burning it to the sd card. I am using etcher on
windows 10.
Bob ve3obo

On Tue, Dec 25, 2018, 12:35 f6bvp <f6bvp@... wrote:

I noticed that killing direwolf on Compass Linux beta 1.5, ax.25
interface udr0 and udr1 are removed freeing access to draws sound card.

sudo killall direwolf

is a quite simple command indeed.

Bernard, f6bvp
Le 24/12/2018 à 04:48, Bob Orrett a écrit :

I am a newbie to RPi and linux.
I have the beta6 installed and running. I cannot seem to be able to stop
direwolf and ax25 so that ft8 and js8call will get access to the draws
sound card.
I entered

cd
cd bin
sudo su
./ax25-stop

The pi returns the command prompt but not anything like "ax25 has stopped".
I see the correct sound card input and output codec in the settings for
these programs (ft8 and js8call) but no audio from the ft817 radio. I had
this working before. What am I missing?

Bob ve3obo

On Sun, Dec 23, 2018, 18:59 Basil Gunn <@basil860 wrote:

Before you update your image capture your current alsamixer settings
somewhere. Just run ./n7nix/bin/alsa-show.sh & make a copy of result.

Latest image current_beta.zip has been updated to draws_beta6.zip

http://images.nwdigitalradio.com/

List of changes since draws_beta5.zip

313d362 - n7nix, 22 hours ago : Explicity describe port names to use with
beacon command.
e3264e2 - n7nix, 22 hours ago : Document default login & password.
95d9aa3 - n7nix, 22 hours ago : Make a default hostname to handle CR only
at hostname prompt.
1f2ad74 - n7nix, 25 hours ago : Set default ADC Level to zero.
aa04a73 - n7nix, 26 hours ago : Add ax.25 ip address prompt & change
default addresses.
dcdd59f - n7nix, 26 hours ago : Enable log of measurements, statistics &
tracking.
3c78e73 - n7nix, 26 hours ago : Fix 'completed' log file entry
57c63aa - n7nix, 2 days ago : Define MODE_9600_ENABLE
68ef2d9 - n7nix, 2 days ago : Set default LO Driver Gain to be more
generic.
fb0beff - n7nix, 2 days ago : Display right & left inputs on a single
line, add debug option.
1de12a3 - n7nix, 2 days ago : Add adjustment of chrony controlled clock.
d13df5d - n7nix, 2 days ago : Move to local bin & add input control
display.
d816ff6 - n7nix, 2 days ago : Fix routing of AFOUT & DISCOUT for default
case.
95ab064 - n7nix, 4 days ago : Add Test RPi sound section.
56d3978 - n7nix, 4 days ago : Add description on enabling onboard sound
function.
134acd9 - n7nix, 4 days ago : Add display of alsa controls.
0d7715a - n7nix, 4 days ago : Update jscall to latest version.
337bdad - n7nix, 4 days ago : Add description on enabling onboard sound
function.
ad0ba74 - n7nix, 4 days ago : Add comments for copying files.
cc88f97 - n7nix, 5 days ago : Add script to collect data on the chrony
daemon.
4f4d1c5 - n7nix, 5 days ago : Add more notes on debugging chrony.
ad44b8f - n7nix, 5 days ago : Add links to the image files.
b36acc7 - n7nix, 5 days ago : Update program installatin table.
95fede5 - n7nix, 5 days ago : Add table of installed programs for DRAWS
image.
8848971 - n7nix, 5 days ago : Fixes for iptables install.
183b3d2 - n7nix, 6 days ago : Add iptables install/config in core config.
e90b7bb - n7nix, 6 days ago : Fix variable USER not being set in BIN_DIR
deee5fe - n7nix, 6 days ago : Add description to verify direwolf is
running.
4f5da24 - n7nix, 6 days ago : A DRAWS to ptt GPIO table.
77d1d10 - n7nix, 6 days ago : Include port name in beacon & message.
4b4f507 - n7nix, 6 days ago : Change connector name to left & right.
835a480 - n7nix, 6 days ago : Explicitly set left & right channel GPIO
for DRAWS.
f683948 - n7nix, 6 days ago : Exit script if direwolf already running.
372d9f5 - n7nix, 7 days ago : Check for compass default password &
prompt to change.

/Basil

Bernard, F6BVPhttp://f6bvp.org
--
Si vous ne souhaitez plus recevoir d'informations de la part du projet
"Le chant des étoiles" de l'association Dimension Parabole

Bob Orrett <boborrett@...>

I hate to admit this but I don't know what is meant by "run Basil's scripts"
Was I supposed to do something after the first boot up of beta6 ? Everything looks normal after the boot up.  Exceot ft8 and js8call do not get access to the soundcard and I cannot seem to stop or start direwolf.
Bob ve3obo

Bob Orrett <boborrett@...>

On Sun, Dec 23, 2018, 18:59 Basil Gunn <basil@... wrote:

Before you update your image capture your current alsamixer settings
somewhere.  Just run ./n7nix/bin/alsa-show.sh & make a copy of result.

Latest image current_beta.zip has been updated to draws_beta6.zip

http://images.nwdigitalradio.com/

List of changes since draws_beta5.zip

[...]

Hi Basil,

Thanks! That will help.