Topics

Unable to resolve hostname with RPi Draws

Bob Orrett <boborrett@...>

I think I screwed up during installation of draws beta 6. At one point I was asked for a hostname. So I made one up and entered "bobspi". Now I am often getting

     "sudo: unable to resolve host bobspi"

when I enter commands in the terminal.
I am not sure what problems this may be causing but I have been unsuccessful  at getting gpsd to set my system time after a reboot and this host name problem may be the cause. I dont know.
Do I need to fix this?
How do I fix this?

Bob ve3obo, newbie to RPi and linux

Basil Gunn

I think I screwed up during installation of draws beta 6. At one point
I was asked for a hostname. So I made one up and entered "bobspi". Now
I am often getting

"sudo: unable to resolve host bobspi"
Usually get this symptom if you set the hostname then do not do a
reboot. See instructions here:
https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/DRAWS%3A-Getting-Started
Note the "Now reboot your RPi" after you run ./app_config.sh core

What do you get when you run:

hostname

if you do not get 'bobspi' then reboot & type: hostname again.

when I enter commands in the terminal. I am not sure what problems
this may be causing but I have been unsuccessful at getting gpsd to
set my system time after a reboot and this host name problem may be
the cause. I dont know. Do I need to fix this? How do I fix this?
as root run:
chronyc makestep

Then send me the output of:
cd
n7nix/gps/verify_time.sh

/Basil

Use the program

sudo raspi-config

to set the hostname, and then reboot.

On Wed, Dec 26, 2018 at 10:15 PM Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:

> I think I screwed up during installation of draws beta 6. At one point
> I was asked for a hostname. So I made one up and entered "bobspi". Now
> I am often getting
>
>   "sudo: unable to resolve host bobspi"

Usually get this symptom if you set the hostname then do not do a
reboot. See instructions here:
https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/DRAWS%3A-Getting-Started
Note the "Now reboot your RPi" after you run ./app_config.sh core

What do you get when you run:

hostname

if you do not get 'bobspi' then reboot & type: hostname again.

> when I enter commands in the terminal.  I am not sure what problems
> this may be causing but I have been unsuccessful at getting gpsd to
> set my system time after a reboot and this host name problem may be
> the cause. I dont know.  Do I need to fix this?  How do I fix this?

as root run:
chronyc makestep

Then send me the output of:
cd
n7nix/gps/verify_time.sh

Use the program

*sudo raspi-config*

to set the hostname, and then reboot.
You do not have to use raspi-config and if you do then some things will not be
configured properly later on that require a valid mail name.

The initial script that you run, app_config.sh core,
prompts you for a host name change and sets:

- hosts
- hostname
- mailname

/Basil