Topics

Draws and IC-7000 #draws #ic7000 #minidin6

Jack Spitznagel

Basil,

Hopefully this experiment provides some useful info:

I built a breakout strip to help solve the issues with overdrive of the IC-7000 in fldigi. As I began to put things together I went to the ICOM manual (version 5 English) to confirm how they label their pin position numbers on the diagram.

Used a couple of “half cables” that I had from other projects in the past, rang out the pin connections, and lined them up on a proto strip so a jumper connected each together. This worked same as the mini Din6 cables supplied. IC-7000 pinout diagram is at the end of the email for those interested.

Substituted a junk box 500KOhm pot in for the DATA IN jumper (probably overkill for what might really be needed). Ends of the resistor to the Pi side cable and to the cable shield/GND, the wiper was to the Radio side cable on DATA IN. The pot was initially set so there was no resistance in the DATA IN line.

After boot, tested Xastir (my control state) first at the original alsamixer settings:

PCM                  L:[-21.50dB],     R:[-21.50dB
ADC Level         L:[-2.00dB],       R:[-2.00dB]
LO Driver Gain  L:[-6.00dB],       R:[-6.00dB]
IN1                    L:[10kOhm],      R:[10kOhm]
IN2                    L:[Off],               R:[Off]

Xastir worked to spec in FM mode RX and TX.

Killed AX25, then tested fldigi in USB mode at same alsamixer settings. As before, overdrove the radio input causing ALC reading to be high.

Then increase resistance while transmitting into a dummy load and was able to reduce ALC reading considerably while maintaining output power. Signal looked clean on Spectrum Lab fed from another receiver.

Shut down fldigi and restarted AX25/Direwolf. No longer enough audio there to drive the rig in FM mode. Sending with Xastir would key rig (using flrig) but no signal was TX. Removed the pot, put the jumper back in and Xastir could transmit as before.

Key Findings:

  1. There is a difference between the audio input level the IC-7000 wants for clean FM and for “ALC free SSB”. Based on the position of the pot, that was a drive signal reduction of about 40 to 50%.
  2. For fldigi, the alsamixer PCM and LO Drive settings could be increased well above the -30dB noise floor (PCM to 0.00, LO Drive to 0.00) tweeking the pot a bit got ALC to essentially zero with rig power at ~30% (approximately 25 Watts) and still looking very clean.
  3. To confuse the issue, I still have found no way to get wsjt-x to TX with sufficient audio regardless of the settings of alsamixer. This apparent drive signal attenuation has got to be something wsjt-x is doing. Does not make sense.

It would be great to find the “half-way point” where both HF programs and Direwolf use identical alsamixer settings.

KD4IZ

Jack Spitznagel

FM19oo

--
J Spitznagel
Science River LLC

Basil Gunn

Hi Jack,
Thanks for all the info.

Just a couple of points. HF/VHF/UHF radios like the IC-7000, Yaesu
FT-817, FT-857, Kenwood TS-2000 etc. need some understanding of their
VHF/UFH packet & HF AFSK digital modes.

At least some of these radios route their vhf/uhf packet audio through
their discriminator output & their HF AFSK output through AFOUT. The
digital mode determines the pin used on the mDin6 connector so you need
to route these pin properly with ALSA mixer settings. With the IC-7100 I
think you have the option of setting the 1200 or 9600 bps output
independent of the digital mode.

ALSA settings for routing to DISCOUT or AFOUT
IN1 (left & right) is for discriminator out (DISCOUT)
IN2 (left & right) is for audio out (AFOUT)
These controls have the following options, 'Off' '10 kOhm' '20 kOhm' '40
kOhm' so you might try the different resistor values to knock down your
signal level.

Also in the next couple of days with Beta7 image release you will have 2
more controls that will allow setting the output level, LO Playback
Common Mode control and DAC Left & Right Playback PowerTune control.

In the IC-7100 manual there is a warning to never apply data levels over
0.6Vp-p for TX audio in (DATA IN)

* 0.4 Vp-p (0.2 Vrms): recommended level
* 0.2-0.5 Vp-p (0.1-0.25 Vrms): acceptable level

I need to do more research for you wsjt-x problem.

/Basil

Jack Spitznagel <@flyingfrawg> writes:

[...]

nn> the DATA IN line.

[...]

Hi Basil,

Again Thanks!!!

I understand these differences. Not confusing. I have been leaving the base config alone for now, but with the info from Annaliese yesterday and yours below, is speculative experimentation fair game now 😊?

Her notes on the implementation of the TI CODEC chip brought up these questions:

1. Should we disable the port not in use if only using 1 of them?? Annaliese suggests this would eliminate possibility of crosstalk. Is there a description of how you do this in the DRAWS wiki or your github pages? I missed it.

2. The info she sent about the PTM-P1/2/3 (DAC Left|Right Playback Powertune) settings for selecting the max output level suggests that the PTM-P1 setting should be default for the sensitive radios like the 7000. I look forward to seeing that available in Beta7. Where is it defaulting to now?

3. Her description of the three resistances associated with configuring input routing appear to be for the input only, I assume input from the rig? Do they also impact the output to the rig? What you say below implies that... I am a little confused on this now.

For the record, I am doing everything at 1200 for the initial testing here thus focusing on IN2. IN1 - 9600/GMSK will come later once I know things work the way I want.

Assume you mean the 7000 below, not the 7100? They appear similar as far as the data port specs are concerned, I just have not played with the 7100 all that much other than using its internal sound device for HRD/DM780 ops and as a modem for Spectrum Lab.

In the DRAWS implementation here, the IC-7000 and the FT-817 will get used (max portability), both of which I have used with audio/data and GMSK/data in the past. The IC-7100 here is happy as is, mostly acts as #2 in an SO2R set up, providing 144/440 coverage and HF D-STAR. The primary HF radio can't do that.

If you have something specific you would like me to look at, or a possible solution you want to test for one of these radios (assuming not all are available to you), please ask. I have or can scrounge pretty much any needed test equipment. I also have a PDF copy of the service manual for the IC-7000 which may provide more clarity for that radio if you think it might help.

KD4IZ

Jack Spitznagel

FM19oo

Jack Spitznagel <kd4iz@...> writes:

> Hopefully this experiment provides some useful info:

> I built a breakout strip to help solve the issues with overdrive of

> the

> IC-7000 in fldigi. As I began to put things together I went to the

> ICOM manual (version 5 English) to confirm how they label their pin

> position numbers on the diagram.

> Used a couple of "half cables" that I had from other projects in the

> past, rang out the pin connections, and lined them up on a proto strip

> so a jumper connected each together. This worked same as the mini Din6 cables supplied.

> IC-7000 pinout diagram is at the end of the email for those interested.

> Substituted a junk box 500KOhm pot in for the DATA IN jumper (probably

> overkill for what might really be needed). Ends of the resistor to the

> Pi side cable and to the cable shield/GND, the wiper was to the Radio

> side cable on DATA IN. The pot was initially set so there was no

> resistance in

nn> the DATA IN line.

--
J Spitznagel
Science River LLC

Annaliese McDermond

On Dec 31, 2018, at 1:34 PM, Jack Spitznagel <@flyingfrawg> wrote:

Hi Basil,

Again Thanks!!!
I understand these differences. Not confusing. I have been leaving the base config alone for now, but with the info from Annaliese yesterday and yours below, is speculative experimentation fair game now 😊?

Her notes on the implementation of the TI CODEC chip brought up these questions:
1. Should we disable the port not in use if only using 1 of them?? Annaliese suggests this would eliminate possibility of crosstalk. Is there a description of how you do this in the DRAWS wiki or your github pages? I missed it.
Just change the pin you would like to disable to “Off.” For example, to turn off the discriminator input to the left DIN-6, you would set “IN1_L to Left Mixer Positive Resistor” to “Off” Likewise to change the 1200 baud/audio input off to the left DIN-6, you would set “IN2_L to Left Mixer Positive Resistor” to “Off"

2. The info she sent about the PTM-P1/2/3 (DAC Left|Right Playback Powertune) settings for selecting the max output level suggests that the PTM-P1 setting should be default for the sensitive radios like the 7000. I look forward to seeing that available in Beta7. Where is it defaulting to now?
Default is PTM-P3

3. Her description of the three resistances associated with configuring input routing appear to be for the input only, I assume input from the rig?
Yes, this is audio/discriminator from the rig. Input from the DRAWS’s point of view.

Do they also impact the output to the rig? What you say below implies that... I am a little confused on this now.
No, it does not impact the output channels in any way. If you look at the analog routing diagram on the Wiki page, the resistor in question is represented by the switches between the various pins and the respective Mic PGA. They aren’t straight switches, they are either off, or they switch in a resistor of one of the three values.

[...]

Thank you Annaliese,

Your answers below were a big help as they always are!

Had a few minutes to play today so I went through the current settings in alsamixer by browsing through the outputs of "amixer", "amixer scontents", and "amixer controls" (essentially the same list +/- the setting values). Did not see the "DAC Right|Left Playback Powertune" control listed.

Do I surmise correctly that the PTM control is not exposed in the BETA 6 mixer driver?

If it is, where/how would I find it and under what subdevice name?

HNY and 73,

KD4IZ
Jack Spitznagel
FM19oo

[...]

The new ALSA controls will be in the BETA7 image which will be out in
the next day or 2. Or do the following:

Check the old version with
dpkg -l "udrc*"

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

Check the new version:
dpkg -l "udrc*"

It should be 1.0.5

/Basil

If it is, where/how would I find it and under what subdevice name?

HNY and 73,

KD4IZ
Jack Spitznagel
FM19oo

Jack Spitznagel

Hi Basil, Annaliese, and John,

@ Basil and Annaliese: Thanks for the PTM information. It made for an interesting lunch break today. Here are a series of quick observations using fldigi which I want to confirm. I will send you my more complete observations when I can.

Exec Summary: Switching from PTM-P3 to PTM-P1 did not reduce the TX audio level sufficiently to allow for clean audio tone and a reduction of ALC reading on the IC-7000. It did do something unexpected; the floor for appearance of the low level circuitry noise actually went up!

Apparently there is "other stuff" getting into the TX audio output circuit that comes along with setting the TX tone(s) to low output levels. It appears that "noise" is keeping the ALC reading from going much below "redline" and is also causing the ALC reading to pulse. The noise appears/sounds to be random popping/sizzling along with a higher amplitude ticking pulse.

I am going to refer to this as "circuit background noise" for lack of the proper technical description. Please tell me what to call it if that is incorrect.  I plan to repeat this using a little more careful method of transmitting tones generated by DRAWS. I will plan to send a link to a short video clip of Spectrum Lab tracings with receiver sound to show differences between the PTM-P1, P2, and P3 settings but probably won’t get to it until tomorrow.

My quick comparison of PTM alsamixer settings used:

fldigi/flrig as the DRAWS tone generation app into the IC-7000, USB at 21.070MHz with LO Drive set at -0.0dB.

IC-7100 to receive with the attenuator on and the RF gain reduced to 50% to avoid overdriving the receiver front end. Output of the IC-7100 sound device observed with Spectrum Lab 2.

Adjusting PCM (only) while observing rig ALC level along with spectrum, waterfall, and amplitude on Spectrum Lab.

PTM-P3 (default) - shows lowest "circuit background noise" floor at about -25.00dB or so, but when set at levels (-21.5dB or higher) where the "background noise" disappears (per Spectrum Lab) - the IC-7000 (and FT-817) input is overdriven when the tone is at cleanest setting. (So the S/N ratio is the highest?)

PTM-P2 reduces the audio level some but also appears to increase the level where the "circuit background noise" appears (to around -21.0Db) - the IC-7000 input is still overdriven when the tone is at cleanest appearing setting.

PTM-P1 definitely reduces the TX audio level BUT changes the level at which the background noise appears (about -18.0dB) - the IC-7000 input is still overdriven when the tone is at cleanest appearing setting. (but the S/N is lowest?)

For all 3 of the settings, that means the ALC reading on the IC-7000 remains at about mid scale and the appearance of the "circuit background noise" prevents me from reducing it any more. Obviously, the "circuit background noise" is being transmitted... not optimal.

As a result, it appears it is not possible to get a clean signal AND reduce the drive level using the controls to a point where the IC-7000 is not using ALC to limit the input. The rig and DRAWS will likely need an attenuator placed somewhere in the TX audio circuit (AFIN).

Current app testing status has not changed.

1. DRAWS can be used to receive very well in all apps I have tested.

2. Can transmit from:

A. direwolf maybe over dev a little, but basically Xastir and YAAC are solid into local digipeaters and gateways. I will need to redo the DEV adjustment (when Beta 7 arrives).

B. fldigi is "working", I can QSO, but app is overdriving the rig when TX tone is cleanest noted by test and by other ops.

C. wsjt-x only at very low levels, no QSO yet in FT8, but decoded here on the bench by another radio/computer. I can't raise TX audio levels with alsamixer high enough to get a significant power out reading on the rig during FT8 transmission.

More to come… would appreciate knowing if I am on track with the measuring methods and if this is useful data for you.

KD4IZ

Jack Spitznagel

FM19oo

--
J Spitznagel
Science River LLC

Basil Gunn

Jack,

Thank you for all the data, it is very much appreciated. I have a
request for when you give us one of the ALSA control settings that you
run alsa-show.sh instead so we get a better understanding of how other
controls are set as well.

To get the latest version of that script:
cd
cd n7nix
git pull
cd n7nix/bin
./alsa-show.sh

Also the LO Driver Gain (analog) control should be adjusted before the
PCM (digital) control.

Since you mention the Yaesu FT-817 note that we have successfully setup
that radio with FLdigi & DRAWS. Reference these files:

bin/setalsa-ft817.sh
docs/RADIO_APP_NOTES.md

Thanks.

[...]

Updated your scripts. Thank you.

Slipped my mind to include the alsa-show.sh output:
PCM L:[-11.00dB] R:[-11.00dB]
ADC Level L:[-2.00dB] R:[-2.00dB]
LO Driver Gain L:[-2.00dB] R:[-2.00dB]
IN1 L:[10 kOhm] R:[Off]
IN2 L:[Off] R:[Off]

These were determined for the lowest TX drive level that also showed minimal
noise with PTM-P1 set L channel. Quick and dirty lunchtime observations.

I also did not tell you specifically that I did adjust the LO Drive up all
the way through its range 1st just to see what was going on.

1. With PCM set at -21.0dB (where I had it for PTM-P3), there was a lot of
the background noise through most of the entire range LO Drive range.
2. With the PCM increased to 0dB it was "cleaner looking" but maxing out
ALC through the entire LO Drive range - couldn't get a drop in ALC at all.
3. Arbitrarily I picked -11.0dB as the halfway point. It got me where you
see above. Moving the LO Drive above 0dB increased the ALC, below -2.0dB it
stopped dropping the ALC, but the noise showed up. I left it on -2.0dB.

When I go back - I want to again start with:
Right channel levels "more completely turned off" (that might eliminate a
source of the noise from crossover?)
Methodically step through a range of LO Drive settings for each specific PCM
setting near the "sweet spot" for the IC-7000
Record what I am seeing in some video clips if you think it would be helpful

Thanks for the info on the FT-817 - I will take a look now but probably test
them when you release Beta7.

KD4IZ
Jack Spitznagel
FM19oo

[...]

I am interested to know why you are using the discriminator connection
for receive (IN1). For HF modes (AFSK) you should be using the AFOUT
connection(IN2) unless I am missing something regarding the IC-7000.
Are you running a vhf/uhf packet app or some HF app?
Could you tell me which data speed the IC-7000 is configured for? ie. is
9600 Mode turned on?

Check the App Notes for Radios wiki:
https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/DRAWS%3A-App-Notes-for-Radios

ALSA settings:
Use IN1_L IN1_R for 9600 baud (DISCOUT)
Use IN2_L IN2_R for 1200 baud or less (AFOUT)

Also you will be using the latest version of alsa-show.sh if your output
looks something like this:

===== ALSA Controls for Radio Tansmit =====
LO Driver Gain L:[-2.00dB] R:[-2.00dB]
LO Playback CM [Full Chip CM]
PCM L:[-11.00dB] R:[-11.00dB]
DAC Playback PT L:[PTM_P3] R:[PTM_P3]

===== ALSA Controls for Radio Receive =====
ADC Level L:[-2.00dB] R:[-2.00dB]
IN1 L:[10 kOhm] R:[Off]
IN2 L:[Off] R:[Off]

[...]

I do not have the IC-7000 9600 mode turned on now, 1200 or less only.
I hope to do so in the future for high speed packet, after the HF fldigi and
wsjt-x transmit issues are solved.
Eventually I will want to be able to configure it as a D-Star DV HotSpot and
to use on HF with Free DV/D-Star. I have a NW Digital AMBE3000 dongle
waiting for that use.

So at present, the apps I want to be able to run are 1200 packet and HF
digital (obviously not at the same time) - this will be a field portable
unit, so needs to be a bit of a swiss army knife when I have it working the
way I would like. I think Julian is shooting for a similar goal. I am not a
set it and forget it operator...

To your question regarding the receive input - I was not intentionally using
the discriminator input. As I commented before, *both packet and fldigi
receive are working, so you have me a bit puzzled*...

For the functions of IN1 vs IN2, I misunderstood them to be the opposite. I
was obviously confused about which was for what because I was not aware
of/had not seen either Annaliese's description of the CODEC or the
"App-Notes-for Radios" document when I modified the ALSA settings for the
7000. Those documents had not been uploaded to the Wiki yet and I did not
catch the fact that the assignment was reversed until you and Annaliese
pointed it out. I forgot I configured it the way I did (glad I had some
notes).

The script I started with (originally called soundset.sh or something like
it) was in an email from before the holidays. It fed the amixer command with
a string of subcommands as shown:
------------------------
amixer -c udrc -s << EOF
# Set input and output levels to 0dB
sset 'ADC Level' -2.0dB
sset 'LO Driver Gain' 0dB
sset 'PCM' 0.0dB

# Turn on AFOUT
sset 'CM_L to Left Mixer Negative Resistor' '10 kOhm'
sset 'IN1_L to Left Mixer Positive Resistor' '10 kOhm'

# Turn on DISCOUT
sset 'CM_R to Right Mixer Negative Resistor' '10 kOhm'
sset 'IN1_R to Right Mixer Positive Resistor' '10 kOhm'

# Turn off unnecessary pins
sset 'IN1_L to Right Mixer Negative Resistor' 'Off'
sset 'IN1_R to Left Mixer Positive Resistor' 'Off'
sset 'IN2_L to Left Mixer Positive Resistor' 'Off'
sset 'IN2_L to Right Mixer Positive Resistor' 'Off'
sset 'IN2_R to Left Mixer Negative Resistor' 'Off'
sset 'IN2_R to Right Mixer Positive Resistor' 'Off'
sset 'IN3_L to Left Mixer Positive Resistor' 'Off'
sset 'IN3_L to Right Mixer Negative Resistor' 'Off'
sset 'IN3_R to Left Mixer Negative Resistor' 'Off'
sset 'IN3_R to Right Mixer Positive Resistor' 'Off'
------------------------
... and so on... at that point I had no idea what any of the settings were
for except PCM, LO Driver Gain, and ADC Level. Annaliese's document about
the CODEC was the first comprehensive description I have seen and I am still
trying to digest that.

I had things set the way you see below because I started with the script
above and commented out the two lines following the comment "# Turn on
DISCOUT" thinking that would disable DISCOUT- so maybe some of that stuff
from emails and earlier "how to's" should be retracted and "official" list
of authoritative documents made - I am sure the early stuff had errors in
it. This stuff has moved quickly and I have not focused on every thread on
the list so I likely have missed important pointers and announcements of
documentation along the way. Docs have moved from GIT Hub and email comments
like "you can use the UDRC documents in the Wiki" to a growing family of
documents in the Wiki. I still have to unlearn what defaults left port or
right port because of confusion regarding the UDRC2 from that period.

I will run the FT-817 script since it will get me pretty close to what I
think the 7000 will like... and solve the IN2 config issue. See what
happens, but that doesn't address the TX level adjustment issue.

KD4IZ
Jack Spitznagel
FM19oo

[...]

A quick follow up note. The setalsa-ft817.sh script does bring it close for
the IC-7000, working fine for 1200b TX and RX for direwolf/xastir, although
have not checked to see where the deviation wound up yet. However, with
fldigi the settings still result in overdrive and high ALC readings. The
alsa-show.sh script gave the readings as you suggested it should below.
Reducing the LO Drive incrementally to -6.0dB did nothing except increase
noise on the trace. Reducing PCM slightly to -15.0dB improved ALC some, but
any additional reduction pushed it right into the symptoms of the noise
threshold/ALC interaction I spoke of in an earlier post.

Many thanks for your generous help. Hope to return the favor by "elmering"
new DRAWS users when you put DRAWS in general release.

You guys will really need help then! Our pain is their gain...

Jack

[...]

Just want to give the results of what Corky AF4PM & I found out this
morning. We successfully set up his IC-7000 to transmit & receive using
FLdigi Olivia 8-250 mode with the following config:

== xmit

* LO Driver gain: -6.00 dB
* PCM: -16.5 dB

The above settings are the same as for the ft-817

* DAC Playback PowerTune: PTM_P1
You must use the latest udrc-dkms driver (1.0.5)
This will be in the Beta7 image
or as root:
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
reboot

== Recv

Make sure the preamp is turned off on the IC-7000
(P.AMP/ATT button to left of screen)

* IN1: 10 kOhm
We found that using the Discriminator receive signal was cleaner than
AFOUT.

We have only tested FLdigi with this radio so far.
See 'ALSA settings for IC-7000' in this doc
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/docs/RADIO_APP_NOTES.md

/Basil

A quick follow up note. The setalsa-ft817.sh script does bring it close for
the IC-7000, working fine for 1200b TX and RX for direwolf/xastir, although
have not checked to see where the deviation wound up yet. However, with
fldigi the settings still result in overdrive and high ALC readings. The
alsa-show.sh script gave the readings as you suggested it should below.
Reducing the LO Drive incrementally to -6.0dB did nothing except increase
noise on the trace. Reducing PCM slightly to -15.0dB improved ALC some, but
any additional reduction pushed it right into the symptoms of the noise
threshold/ALC interaction I spoke of in an earlier post.

Jack Spitznagel

Hi Basil,

That is really good news. I have not tried OLIVIA 8/250 yet. Did you try
other modes? Particularly PSK31? I wonder if there might be an apparent rig
input power reduction effect because of the quick switching between 8 tones
instead of 2. PSK31 was not well behaved for me as I described.

I did update/upgrade the udrc/dkms driver to 1.0.5 yesterday which gave me
access to the PTM settings. I quickly found that although PTM-P1 reduces the
total output power from the 3204, it also allows the background noise to pop
up more quickly. See my previous report on that.

Those same settings also "work" for me and I can make contacts with PSK31...
but I still have a significant ALC reading on the IC-7000 and I have had a
few stations comment that I was splattering. I really need to set up a
"range test" with a friend here on ground wave.

Did you get the ALC down to near 0 without any pulsing at that level? Mine
will not go there. The noise come up and prevents that.

Did you have someone a reasonable distance away watch their receive
waterfall to jusdge "cleanliness" of signal - or better, report the S/N
values in OLIVIA?

Did you try reducing the PCM level below -16.5dB?

If so, did you observe the effect that I see here where the "circuit noise"
level comes up and prevents the audio level from dropping?

What I see is the actual signal tone/tones fading into the noise level being
produced by the 3204 as I go below the thresholds I noted in my previous
post.

Glad to see that I can at least confirm our settings are in the same ball
park.

73 and let me know your thoughts.

KD4IZ
Jack Spitznagel