DRAWS Codec Technical Documentation

Annaliese McDermond

I have just posted the following article to the UDRC/DRAWS Wiki:

https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/DRAWS™-Audio-CODEC-Analog-Routing%2C-Digital-Interfacing-and-Controls

This is a technical document outlining the audio codec on the DRAWS, the TI TLV320AIC3204 and how we use it on the DRAWS board. It’s not designed to be a “how-to” guide or something to hold someone’s hand on how to solve their problem, but rather a technical document on how the hardware and software is designed to support the low level audio interface. If people feel there are missing pieces, please let me know and we’ll see if I can address them. Again, though, this isn’t designed to be a “how to set up your DRAWS” but a conceptual document to help the more technical minded folks understand what they’re dealing with.

--
Annaliese McDermond (NH6Z)
Xenotropic Systems

Jack Spitznagel

Annaliese,

Thanks for this! Very helpful translation of what is going on "under the hood" in DRAWS. It really helps me make sense of why the settings seemed complex.

I can see now that for the "sensitive" radios early adopters have been struggling with (FT-817, 450, IC-7000), the setting of PTM_P# to PTM_P1 will like be the key to making it possible to use a wider DAC range (PCM) and seeing some noticeable effects of LO Drive. It appears that cleaning up the TX signal for applications like fldigi will be possible without a hardware solution.

Keep up the great work and Happy New Year!

KD4IZ
Jack Spitznagel
FM19oo

[...]

J Spitznagel
Science River LLC
KD4IZ

Bernard f6bvp / ai7bg

Hi,

With DRAWS I noticed that PBEACON sendto=0 is sending APRS beacon on left DIN6 (CHANNEL 0).

This is absolutely correct and in accordance with n7nix measure_deviate.sh deviation script that sends modulation wav through sox.

However when using UDRC II modem and the same direwolf configuration file, direwolf is sending beacon via HD15 plug.

If someone wants to send beacon via DIN6 when using UDRC II, PBEACON sendto=1 must be used.

Is UDRC II CHANNEL inversion the result of a hardware difference between UDRC II and DRAWS or a bug in UDRC II firmware ?

73 de Bernard, f6bvp

Le 31/12/2018 à 05:18, Annaliese McDermond a écrit :
[...]

Bernard, F6BVP
http://f6bvp.org
--
Si vous ne souhaitez plus recevoir d'informations de la part du projet
"Le chant des étoiles" de l'association Dimension Parabole

Yes this is a change with DRAWS. Left audio to left DIN.

On Mon, Dec 31, 2018, 12:01 f6bvp <f6bvp@...> wrote:
Hi,

With DRAWS I noticed that PBEACON sendto=0 is sending APRS beacon on
left DIN6 (CHANNEL 0).

This is absolutely correct and in accordance with n7nix
measure_deviate.sh deviation script that sends modulation wav through sox.

However when using UDRC II modem and the same direwolf configuration
file, direwolf is sending beacon via HD15 plug.

If someone wants to send beacon via DIN6 when using UDRC II, PBEACON
sendto=1 must be used.

Is UDRC II CHANNEL inversion the result of a hardware difference between
UDRC II and DRAWS or a bug in UDRC II firmware ?

73 de Bernard, f6bvp

Le 31/12/2018 à 05:18, Annaliese McDermond a écrit :
> I have just posted the following article to the UDRC/DRAWS Wiki:
>
> https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/DRAWS™-Audio-CODEC-Analog-Routing%2C-Digital-Interfacing-and-Controls
>
> This is a technical document outlining the audio codec on the DRAWS, the TI TLV320AIC3204 and how we use it on the DRAWS board.  It’s not designed to be a “how-to” guide or something to hold someone’s hand on how to solve their problem, but rather a technical document on how the hardware and software is designed to support the low level audio interface.  If people feel there are missing pieces, please let me know and we’ll see if I can address them.  Again, though, this isn’t designed to be a “how to set up your DRAWS” but a conceptual document to help the more technical minded folks understand what they’re dealing with.
>
> --
> Annaliese McDermond (NH6Z)
> Xenotropic Systems
> mcdermj@...

Bernard, F6BVP
http://f6bvp.org
--
envoyez un courriel à f6bvp@... avec comme sujet :

Hi,

With DRAWS I noticed that PBEACON sendto=0 is sending APRS beacon on
left DIN6 (CHANNEL 0).

This is absolutely correct and in accordance with n7nix
measure_deviate.sh deviation script that sends modulation wav through sox.

However when using UDRC II modem and the same direwolf configuration
file, direwolf is sending beacon via HD15 plug.
Yep, that's correct.

If someone wants to send beacon via DIN6 when using UDRC II, PBEACON
sendto=1 must be used.

Is UDRC II CHANNEL inversion the result of a hardware difference between
UDRC II and DRAWS or a bug in UDRC II firmware ?
On Draws the convention is as you describe. Left connector is chan 0,
Right connector is chan 1.

On UDRC II HATs the DB 15 connector was made chan 0 and is the right
hand connector. So as you observed the Left & Right channel numbers are
flipped between the UDRC II & DRAWS.

/Basil

[...]

By default direwolf can only send calibration test signal on channel 0 using option -x

I submitted a patch for direwolf 1.6 making possible to choose the audio channel : option becomes -x 0 or -x 1

This gives the possibility to send calibration test on UDRC II din6, otherwise not possible.

Of course channel choice is also working fine with DRAWS.

Here is the link :

https://github.com/wb2osz/direwolf/issues/184

73 de Bernard, f6bvp