Topics

note about xastir and building from source #draws #aprs #xastir

Art - KC7SDA

so I found out about this problem quite by accident... if you run xastir that was installed by apt from the repository and you want to build from the source (for version 2.1.1 or later) you have to rename/modify/delete xastir.cnf in ~/.xastir/config to point to /usr/local/share/xastir instead of /usr/share/xastir.

Also, as of this writing the beta images come with the binary version of xastir (version 2.0.8)

Basil Gunn

Debian File System Hierarchy Standard
https://wiki.debian.org/FilesystemHierarchyStandard

It's a debian convention that locally built binaries use:
/usr/local/var
/usr/local/etc
/usr/local/share
/usr/local/bin

programs installed with apt use:
/var
/etc
/usr/share
/bin

The install method for Xastir on the DRAWS image can be seen in the
n7nix/xastir/install.sh script.

- xastir is installed using apt-get
- a desktop icon is used that actually works
- xastir-sounds are installed to /usr/share/xastir-sounds

/Basil

Art - KC7SDA <@nouse4anick> writes:

so I found out about this problem quite by accident... if you run
xastir that was installed by apt from the repository and you want to
build from the source (for version 2.1.1 or later) you have to
rename/modify/delete xastir.cnf in ~/.xastir/config to point to
/usr/local/share/xastir instead of /usr/share/xastir.

Also, as of this writing the beta images come with the binary version
of xastir (version 2.0.8)

Ken Koster

On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 4:25:51 PM PST Art - KC7SDA wrote:

> so I found out about this problem quite by accident... if you run xastir

> that was installed by apt from the repository and you want to build from

> the source (for version 2.1.1 or later) you have to rename/modify/delete

> xastir.cnf in ~/.xastir/config to point to /usr/local/share/xastir instead

> of /usr/share/xastir.

You could also remove the old xastir and it's config files with:

apt-get purge xastir

That will remove the config files, then build and install xastir.

Or if you want to keep the config files build xastir with:

../configure --prefix=/usr

That will place the new xastir in the same location as the repository package does.

--

Ken - N7IPB

Email: n7ipb@...

JID: n7ipb@...

SvxLink Repeaters: http://pnw220.wetnet.net

PGP Sig: F42B EF90 3CD3 31C7 3056 122E 993A 7B2E 5138 C42A

“Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, 'if it was so, it might be;

and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.”