DRAWS and the FT-817 #draws #ft817 #ft-817

Jeff Marden

Hello Basil:

Understood and Thanks (again).

Also thanks to Jack for testing & publishing his FT-817 config info & results!

--
Jeff Marden
N1JCM

Jack Spitznagel

Basil and All,

I set up the FT-817, broke miniDIN6 pin #6 in a spare cable to nop the squelch. So, direwolf/Xastir did transmit sound at those original alsamixer and FT-817 settings below:

===== ALSA Controls for Radio Transmit ===== < (I just had to fix Tansmit to Transmit, compulsive speller!)
LO Driver Gain L:[-6.00dB] R:[-6.00dB]
PCM L:[-16.50dB] R:[-16.50dB]
DAC Playback PT L:[PTM_P3] R:[PTM_P3]
LO Playback CM [ Full Chip CM]

===== ALSA Controls for Radio Receive =====
ADC Level L:[-2.00dB] R:[-2.00dB]
IN1 L:[Off] R:[Off]
IN2 L:[10 kOhm] R:[10 kOhm]

The FT-817 [menu #25] DIG MIC is set 65 as was recommended.

However, using fldigi, the FT-817 was transmitting noise with high ALC with the settings above.

I played with the sound and rig input settings until I got to the following settings:
===== ALSA Controls for Radio Transmit ===== < (again)
LO Driver Gain L:[-2.00dB] R:[-2.00dB]
PCM L:[-8.00dB] R:[-8.00dB]
DAC Playback PT L:[PTM_P1] R:[PTM_P1]
LO Playback CM [Full Chip CM]

===== ALSA Controls for Radio Receive =====
ADC Level L:[-2.00dB] R:[-2.00dB]
IN1 L:[Off] R:[Off]
IN2 L:[10 kOhm] R:[10 kOhm]

The FT-817 [menu #25] DIG MIC is set to 25 instead of 65.
There is no ALC reading (1 bar or less), signal looked very clean on the panadapter scope and immediately had a QSO with HI8MU in the Dominican Republic and received RSQ of 599 - running 5W with a GAP Titan vertical on 20 meters. I think that qualifies as success.

Using the same settings had an wsjt-x FT8 20M QSO with KC9FLD in Dubuque, IA received a -22 report but no retransmits - I consider that a success. Again the ALC was one bar or less.

The changes in settings has no effect on direwolf/Xastir performance. I am going to alter the local script to set up the FT-817 this way. I won't have to re-adjust the FT-817 [menu #25] DIG MIC setting again since this is the new TNC/sound card. 😊

Now back to the IC-7000!

KD4IZ
Jack Spitznagel
FM19oo