Topics

DRAWS case first draft #draws #case #cad #scad

Brian Badger

Currently waiting in thingiverse approval queue.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3333435

The good:
SCAD provided so you can help tune the design
Added a powerpole power port
Stretched the case to protect the power connector

The bad:
Extraneous screw holes that can't be used with DRAWS
GPS antenna connector is a stubborn fit, so there is a big gap

The ugly:
SD card protector dimensions are just plain wrong. The card is inaccessible.

--
Brian N0KZ

Brian Badger

Example print.
image1.jpeg

On Jan 4, 2019, at 9:57 AM, Brian Badger <brian@...> wrote:

Currently waiting in thingiverse approval queue.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3333435

The good:
SCAD provided so you can help tune the design
Added a powerpole power port
Stretched the case to protect the power connector

The bad:
Extraneous screw holes that can't be used with DRAWS
GPS antenna connector is a stubborn fit, so there is a big gap

The ugly:
SD card protector dimensions are just plain wrong. The card is inaccessible.

--
Brian N0KZ

<rpi3_draws.scad>

Very Cool!

May we post the link on our website?

Bryan K7UDR

Brian Badger

The scad file was provided, I used OpenSCAD.

Fixing the card issue should be pretty easy. I didn’t care enough to reprint since I don’t need it, but if there is interest we can make it a customizable SCAD.

The only changes I would make is to move the screw holes to the bottom, and perhaps add protective wings around the GPS connector.

Brian N0KZ

On Jan 4, 2019, at 12:06 PM, Bryan Hoyer <@K7UDR> wrote:

Very Cool!

May we post the link on our website?

Bryan K7UDR

Brian Badger

The link won’t work until tomorrow morning, but go right ahead.

Brian N0KZ

On Jan 4, 2019, at 12:06 PM, Bryan Hoyer <@K7UDR> wrote:

Very Cool!

May we post the link on our website?

Bryan K7UDR

Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ

Do you a picture of the two halves whilst apart? and the inside of the top?

Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ
ewbloom@...
Sent from Webmail access

Currently waiting in thingiverse approval queue.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3333435

The good:
SCAD provided so you can help tune the design
Added a powerpole power port
Stretched the case to protect the power connector
The bad:
Extraneous screw holes that can't be used with DRAWS
GPS antenna connector is a stubborn fit, so there is a big gap
The ugly:
SD card protector dimensions are just plain wrong. The card is inaccessible.

--
Brian N0KZ
<rpi3_draws.scad>
<image1.jpeg>

Jack Spitznagel

Nice solution Brian! Which 3D printer are you using?

Jack – KD4IZ

Currently waiting in thingiverse approval queue.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3333435

The good:
SCAD provided so you can help tune the design
Added a powerpole power port
Stretched the case to protect the power connector

The bad:
Extraneous screw holes that can't be used with DRAWS
GPS antenna connector is a stubborn fit, so there is a big gap

The ugly:
SD card protector dimensions are just plain wrong. The card is inaccessible.

--
Brian N0KZ

<rpi3_draws.scad>

<image1.jpeg>

--
J Spitznagel
Science River LLC

Brian Badger

My kids bought me an Ender 3 for Christmas.

Looking at the inside you can see that there are four supports for both the top of the DRAWS hat and the bottom of the pi.  The two tall screw towers are the only ones useable for fastening the case shut, which is non-optimal, but it actually fits snugly with no screws at all.

If you look at the scad file you can see how the powerpole mount works — there are tiny details that engage the roll pin holes.  It is easy to install and remove but it doesn’t come loose during use.  This detail was the main purpose of the case design.   Everything else got very little attention.

Please note that the design is a remix of Thingiverse 2985738
Brian N0KZ

On Jan 4, 2019, at 1:20 PM, Jack Spitznagel <kd4iz@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you for sharing the inside picture.

Nice solution.

Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ
ewbloom@...
Sent from Webmail access

Currently waiting in thingiverse approval queue.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3333435

The good:
SCAD provided so you can help tune the design
Added a powerpole power port
Stretched the case to protect the power connector
The bad:
Extraneous screw holes that can't be used with DRAWS
GPS antenna connector is a stubborn fit, so there is a big gap
The ugly:
SD card protector dimensions are just plain wrong. The card is inaccessible.

--
Brian N0KZ
<rpi3_draws.scad>
<image1.jpeg>

--
J Spitznagel
Science River LLC
KD4IZ

Brian Badger

Link is now active.  The in-browser 3d viewer will let you flip it around and disagree with the design to your hearts content.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3333435

SCAD attached.  I made some minor tweaks, but haven't printed yet.  Powerpole mount is now configurable.

--
Brian Badger N0KZ