Topics

one stop shop for sound level questions #draws #documentation #beta

Art - KC7SDA

Ok, so I think we needed one place with all of the definitions of each setting and its reasoning behind it.

I don't understand about the xk ohm resistor settings, nor what each setting is in the mixer and what it will change (ie this slider will change the overall output-speaker volume and this one will change the input on the left channel)
Also I want to share fldigi settings on this so we can troubleshoot and get them right for both the left and right channels

Please note, I'm assuming the din next to the gps is channel 1 (or 0 in direwolfs case) and the other din is channel 2

for fldigi, sound card settings are:
port audio: udrc both record and playback
on right channel tab, both reverse in transmit and receive are checked (this is for channel 1)
for gpio i'm using BCM pin 12 (GPIO 26) with the value box checked

now, for dumping the settings, the alsa-show.sh script is in the n7nix/bin directory (wasn't in my user bin), so if you have a set of settings that work, please post them, I'm interested in the variances between setups and what people find work the best, please include your radio and if you have to change settings (just say which ones and what direction, you don't have to post another list of settings)

I'll be dumping mine after I upgrade to beta 7 and run my test script

73
Art

Basil Gunn

now, for dumping the settings, the alsa-show.sh script is in the
n7nix/bin directory (wasn't in my user bin),
Documentation only supports the latest image, in this case BETA7 where
alsa-show.sh is in the local bin directory.

so if you have a set of
settings that work, please post them, I'm interested in the variances
between setups and what people find work the best, please include your
radio and if you have to change settings (just say which ones and what
direction, you don't have to post another list of settings)
You also need to share the pertinent settings of your radio or even
better, do a factory reset to start from a common place.

I'll be dumping mine after I upgrade to beta 7 and run my test script

Art - KC7SDA

factory resets are good, however most HT's don't need them as there is little audio adjustment aside from the volume control.

I guess what I'm after is more of to see how people are adjusting them an if there is a common range (high/low/median) that maybe we can come up with something closer that will work with 80% of rigs. I ran the settings at one point and while it received fine i got no audio out for tx until i changed some of the resistor settings (which I think was wrong, but I don't understand enough about the audio chip to make the call on the right and wrong way to set it up).

this will also help assess how much documentation is needed to prevent 'wrong' configurations (ie driving something way too hard when it doesn't need to be), and maybe to help people understand which slide (or value) changes what and why.

Art - KC7SDA

as an fyi, I just finished playing around with the verify scripts and tried setting alsa with 'setalsa-default.sh'. right out of the box it works on my boafeng ht after setting the audio input/output in fldigi. I think this will work with most ht's and is a good starting point for base/mobile rigs. If it warms up this weekend I'll set up my hf rig and play around with the sound levels for an ic-718.

Full soundcard/rig settings for fldigi:
for channel 1 (the mini din next to the gps):
- nothing checked in right channel dialog (no swap and no audio on both left and right)
- gpio tab under rig control use bcm 12, 23 is the right mini din.