Topics

#BETA7 performance report #ft-817 #beta7 #config #ic-7000

Jack Spitznagel

Hi Basil,

Beta 7 installed and the core config executed according to instructions.

Comment: It is getting really easy to run the entire setup now with experience. Hopefully someone with good coding skills (and the time to do it) can turn the process into menu panels or even GUI driven setup eventually. Understand the time restrictions there.

Ran the verifications - all were OK. The set up apps:

Listened/watched panscope using other radios. TX was into dummy load.

  1. Config for FT-817:

Used setalsa-ft817.sh to configure for that radio and set the FT-817 menu items as suggested in the documentation:

Test Results:

- Direwolf/Xastir works OK at that level (but did not check deviation).

- Killed AX25/Xastir and ran fldigi – at the shipped FT-817 alsa settings, transmit tone was noisy/ALC too high

- To get clean tone, I had to change my ALSA settings back to:

===== ALSA Controls for Radio Tansmit ===== <

LO Driver Gain                   L:[-2.00dB]          R:[-2.00dB]

PCM                                      L:[-8.00dB]          R:[-8.00dB]

DAC Playback PT               L:[PTM_P1]        R:[PTM_P1]

LO Playback CM                [Full Chip CM]

===== ALSA Controls for Radio Receive =====

ADC Level            L:[-2.00dB]          R:[-2.00dB]

IN1                         L:[Off]                   R:[Off]

IN2                         L:[10 kOhm]       R:[10 kOhm]

- AND had to reduce the FT-817 [menu #25] DIG MIC is setting to 25 (from suggested 65) to get no ALC and clean output.

After these changes audio levels were good and was able to QSO in fldigi and wsjt-x FT8 mode.

Config for IC-7000: (I have a headache…)

-Used setalsa-ft817.sh to configure for that radio.

- Test Result:

- Direwolf/Xastir works OK at that level but again did not check deviation.

- Killed AX25/Xastir and ran both fldigi and wsjt-x FT8 mode.

**** - transmit level was noisy with no tone and no power.

**** - increasing PCM and LO Drive brought tone up out of noise – but no power still with rig set to 25% output.

- Ran the setalsa-udrc-din6.sh to “zero” the settings.

****- same result regardless of PTM setting or the levels of PCM and LO Drive

**** Here is where it got weird ****

Reset DRAWS to the FT-817 settings above, rebooted and accidentally left the radio on SSB when I started Direwolf/Xastir.

**** The initial packet from Xastir drove the rig to the set power level!

-Shutdown direwolf/Xastir and ran both fldigi and wsjt-x

**** - got very low output with both as before

**** Here it got even more weird ****

I ran the measure_deviate.sh script in ~/n7nix/deviation and it drove the radio to set power and pegged the ALC!!!

To rule out that something is wrong with the IC-7000, I hooked it up to my laptop/SignaLink USB/using fldigi and drove the rig full power with no ALC. Nothing is wrong with the IC-7000.

SO the big question now is why will direwolf and measure_deviate.sh drive the IC-7000 to set power (too much ALC) in USB when neither wsjt-x or fldigi will produce enough audio *at identical alsamixer settings*?

This is not what you and Corky reported the other day… and I am really puzzled.

KD4IZ

Jack Spitznagel

FM19oo

--
J Spitznagel
Science River LLC

Jack Spitznagel

Just noticed I got bit by my cut/paste haste!

I used the setalsa-ic7000.sh script to initially set audio levels for that radio. All else is correct.

Jack - KD4IZ

On Jan 7, 2019, at 23:10, Jack Spitznagel <kd4iz@...> wrote:

[...]

Basil Gunn

See embedded below.

On Jan 7, 2019, at 23:10, Jack Spitznagel <@flyingfrawg> wrote:

Hi Basil,

Beta 7 installed and the core config executed according to
instructions. Comment: It is getting really easy to run the entire
setup now with experience. Hopefully someone with good coding skills
(and the time to do it) can turn the process into menu panels or even
GUI driven setup eventually. Understand the time restrictions there.
John is working on a GUI config program

Ran the verifications - all were OK. The set up apps:
Listened/watched panscope using other radios. TX was into dummy load.

Config for FT-817:
Used setalsa-ft817.sh to configure for that radio and set the FT-817
menu items as suggested in the documentation:

Test Results:
- Direwolf/Xastir works OK at that level (but did not check deviation).
- Killed AX25/Xastir and ran fldigi – at the shipped FT-817 alsa
settings, transmit tone was noisy/ALC too high
This is not unexpected the FT-817 and any HF VHF/UHF radio has 2
distinct radios so would not expect that the level settings for VHF
would also work on HF.

- To get clean tone, I had to change my ALSA settings back to:
===== ALSA Controls for Radio Tansmit ===== <
LO Driver Gain L:[-2.00dB] R:[-2.00dB]
PCM L:[-8.00dB] R:[-8.00dB]
DAC Playback PT L:[PTM_P1] R:[PTM_P1]
LO Playback CM [Full Chip CM]

===== ALSA Controls for Radio Receive =====
ADC Level L:[-2.00dB] R:[-2.00dB]
IN1 L:[Off] R:[Off]
IN2 L:[10 kOhm] R:[10 kOhm]

- AND had to reduce the FT-817 [menu #25] DIG MIC is setting to 25 (from suggested 65) to get no ALC and clean output.

After these changes audio levels were good and was able to QSO in fldigi and wsjt-x FT8 mode.

Config for IC-7000: (I have a headache…)

-Used setalsa-ft817.sh to configure for that radio.
Should be setalsa-ic7000.sh as you mentioned above.

- Test Result:
- Direwolf/Xastir works OK at that level but again did not check deviation.
- Killed AX25/Xastir and ran both fldigi and wsjt-x FT8 mode.
**** - transmit level was noisy with no tone and no power.
**** - increasing PCM and LO Drive brought tone up out of noise – but no power still with rig set to 25% output.
- Ran the setalsa-udrc-din6.sh to “zero” the settings.
Why not setalsa-default.sh?

****- same result regardless of PTM setting or the levels of PCM and LO Drive

**** Here is where it got weird ****
Reset DRAWS to the FT-817 settings above, rebooted and accidentally
left the radio on SSB when I started Direwolf/Xastir.

**** The initial packet from Xastir drove the rig to the set power level!
-Shutdown direwolf/Xastir and ran both fldigi and wsjt-x
**** - got very low output with both as before

**** Here it got even more weird ****
I ran the measure_deviate.sh script in ~/n7nix/deviation and it drove
the radio to set power and pegged the ALC!!!
This script is used to set FM deviation.
Although the observation is interesting it doesn't make sense to use
this tool on SSB.

To rule out that something is wrong with the IC-7000, I hooked it up
to my laptop/SignaLink USB/using fldigi and drove the rig full power
with no ALC. Nothing is wrong with the IC-7000.

SO the big question now is why will direwolf and measure_deviate.sh
drive the IC-7000 to set power (too much ALC) in USB when neither
wsjt-x or fldigi will produce enough audio *at identical alsamixer
settings*?

This is not what you and Corky reported the other day… and I am
really puzzled.
The problem I have is I don't know what your radio settings are so that
I can compare them with what Corky & I were using. I think we need to
identify the critical controls or even better do a factory reset on the
radio to set all controls to a known value.

Also have you checked out Bryan's YouTube video for setting ALSA
controls using TX Calc spreadsheet: https://youtu.be/RxWiDYMcRn4

* TX Calc spreadsheet:
https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/files/TX%20Calc.xlsx

I will continue to try & replicate your results although I currently do not have
access to either the FT-817 or IC-7000 but I have located an IC-7000
that Bryan can examine. Should have it to him by this Friday.

/Basil

Jack Spitznagel

Basil,

Thanks again for your comments and special thanks ahead of time to John for doing that GUI menu. It will make a big difference during setup.

I fear this post will get too long if I just comment in your reply so I have pulled your comments and questions up to address here. You commented/asked:

On HF/VHF/UHF radios

> This is not unexpected the FT-817 and any HF VHF/UHF radio has 2 distinct radios so would not expect that the level

> settings for VHF would also work on HF.

Interestingly, for the FT-817, the original settings did not work but my settings do work for FM and SSB without alteration when the settings are changed from the setalsa-ft817.sh script as I did below:

>> ===== ALSA Controls for Radio Tansmit ===== <

>> LO Driver Gain                   L:[-2.00dB]          R:[-2.00dB]

>> PCM                                      L:[-8.00dB]          R:[-8.00dB]

>> DAC Playback PT               L:[PTM_P1]        R:[PTM_P1]

>> LO Playback CM                [Full Chip CM]

>> ===== ALSA Controls for Radio Receive =====

>> ADC Level            L:[-2.00dB]          R:[-2.00dB]

>> IN1                         L:[Off]                   R:[Off]

>> IN2                         L:[10 kOhm]       R:[10 kOhm]

NOTE: What I can’t find in any of my “all band rig” documentation is where the modulator input sensitivities are called out as being different between the different modes (FM vs SSB).

If there is a really important difference for some radios, you may want to clarify in the script filenames that the settings in each radio specific "setalsa-*.sh" script is for VHF/UHF or HF. This may well be true for a premium radio like the IC-9100.

From where you were talking about use of the measure_deviate script:

> This script is used to set FM deviation.

> Although the observation is interesting it doesn't make sense to use this tool on SSB.

Understood. It was a convenient way to generate and TX a tone for 60 seconds at 1000Hz to quickly test what was happening and it uncovered the difference between app function and "direct audio drive with keyup". I was using an adjustable wrench as a hammer as usual. Probably broke something in the process. Mea culpa.

> The problem I have is I don't know what your radio settings are so that I can compare them with what Corky & I were

> using. I think we need to identify the critical controls or even better do a factory reset on the radio to set all controls

> to a known value.

On the last go around with Beta 7, I started with a factory reset of the IC-7000. Outside of a few things like my callsign on the start screen and setting the local time properly, everything is the factory default. Happy to share the RT Systems “rig settings” page if needed.

> Also have you checked out Bryan's YouTube video for setting ALSA controls using TX Calc spreadsheet:

> https://youtu.be/RxWiDYMcRn4

Yes, it is a very nice tool for determining good starting values for radios. I used it for the 7000 with a value of 100mV (modulator input for the 13-pin ACC socket of  IC-7000, the DATA socket value is not given and is probably not different). Here is the table I generated for the radios I plan to use with the DRAWS board:

3204 0dB REF

Digital

Line Output

Radio

Vtx mV

500

PCM

LO

CODEC

Peak to Peak

1414

Peak

707

RMS

500

0.0

0

0.0

Elecraft KX3

Peak to Peak

300

HF USB

Peak

150

Check Mic Gain

RMS

106

-13.5

-7.5

-6.0

IC-7000

Peak to Peak

100

HF USB

Peak

50

Check Mic Gain

RMS

35

-23.0

-17.0

-6.0

FT-817

Peak to Peak

1000

HF USB

Peak

500

Check Mic Gain

RMS

354

-3.0

0.0

-3.0

Have not fully tested the KX3 yet. It should be capable of HF digital in SSB and 2M AFSK packet.

> I will continue to try & replicate your results although I currently do not have access to either the FT-817 or

> IC-7000 but I have located an IC-7000 that Bryan can examine. Should have it to him by this Friday.

The inconvenient problem I run into is with the IC-7000 is that there is no adjustment for the AFSK input for HF. This has been noted for the SignaLink and other sound devices – It makes audio card output adjustment really touchy. Here are the two counter-effect problems I see:

  1. To get the tone significantly above the noise level, LO Drive and PCM needs to be higher than the 7000 script sets up.
  2. Setting the PTM values to PTM-P1 brings the PCM critical point for the noise problem up to just under -17dB from -24dB at PTM-P3.

As a result of the DRAWS IC-7000 settings being so very low, produced output levels are at the point where the “background noise” is as high as or higher than the tone for me. The combination of these results in a significant ALC reading on the 7000 in USB.

  1. The first instance results in distortion and IMD artifacts in the TX signal and an elevated and “pumping” ALC reading with all kinds of distortion artifacts.
  2. If the LO Drive and PCM levels are increased to get the tone up out of the noise, then the ALC stops pumping and quickly becomes pegged. The TX signal then has ALC clipping distortion artifacts.

Why both fldigi and wsjt-x now produce a significantly lower transmit level output from the DRAWS to the IC-7000 than the direct tone generation approach is a real mystery to me. The output to the FT-817 from those programs does not seem to differ significantly. This behavior originally began with Beta 6 for wsjt-x only then fldigi began acting this way with Beta 7.

Hope my answers help as you begin checking out the situation. I would be happy to turn this into a “Check this” type bullet list if you and Bryan want one.

KD4IZ

Jack Spitznagel

FM19oo

--
J Spitznagel
Science River LLC

Tim Ciesluk

Hi Basil and Jack,

Let me preface by saying that I am very interested in the progress you are making as I too have an IC-7000. I wish I had time to test but we just had a newborn arrive in December keeping us very busy. You caught me by surprise saying you’re using the ACC port with FLDigi. I remember some years ago using Fldigi for HF with a West Mountain Plug&Play attached to the data port on an IC-7000. The radio was basically default settings and in SSB mode. I don’t recall anything special being necessary on the radio for settings. Just to be sure the drive (pc sound card output) wasn’t too much for the radio. This setup worked modes like JT65, PSK31, and Olivia. If I find any time, I will try to find out more details about that setup. I want to attach some details from the user manual regarding voltages for the data port and describes a way to test the input from the TNC that may be useful.

I hope I’m adding to the conversation. Please let me know if I’m not. I’d really like to see this succeed.

73,
Tim - KU1G

Jack Spitznagel

Hi Tim,

To clarify one point from my rambling response to Basil, I just use the DATA port on the IC-7000 with DRAWS. What I was referring to was that the copy of the 7000 manual I have does not state the max P-P voltage that the DATA port will accept. Fot the TX Calc spreadsheet purposes, I was guessing that the info given for the AFSK pin on the ACC port (100mV) was going to be the same value for the DATA port.

I have the WMR BT Rigblaster which wasn't a problem at all to set up because it uses the microphone as its input so you can switch to headset mode. By contrast, the SignaLink which does use the DATA port is very touchy. The critical range on the TX level pot is in the first part of the range (7 to 9 o'clock) anything more than that is overdriven.

Have fun being Daddy! You only get one chance per kid. May this one figure out what "a whole night's sleep" means very quickly. I survived 1 of our 2 that did not. They are both great young adults now and you'd never know the one was a fussy baby.

KD4IZ
Jack Spitznagel
FM19oo

[...]

Hello Jack,

Thank you and I hope this baby learns quickly that it’s hard to function when he doesn’t want to lay down in bed very long.

I had hoped my photo showed the information about voltage you were looking for. It came from my user manual chapter 11 on Packet Operation.
Voltage 0.4 Vp-p (0.2 Vrms) recommended
0.2-0.5 Vp-p (0.1-0.25 Vrms) accepted

Measuring without an oscilloscope means looking for the red TX light to remain lit continuously while the TNC is sending test/calibration tones. Blinking red or remaining off; you should decrease TNC output level until the LED lights continuously. If the transmission is not successful and the LED lights red continuously, increase the TNC output.

73,
Tim - KU1G

On Jan 9, 2019, at 6:46 PM, Jack Spitznagel <@flyingfrawg> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for sending that photo. I missed that in the packet section. So in my testing, that seems to be the case for packet on FM (APRS via direwolf) which has been working. Unfortunately when DRAWS TX signal has been at that level it was overdriving the rig in USB using fldigi or wsjt-x.
Jack

On Jan 9, 2019, at 20:34, Tim Ciesluk via Groups.Io <cetpctech=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

<image2.jpeg>
<image3.jpeg>
--
J Spitznagel
Science River LLC

Tim Ciesluk

I don’t know if you have a way to measure the voltage coming out of DRAWS to compare Direwolf and Fldigi. I would suppose they would be the same. Have you tried adjusting the Mic gain? As odd as it may seem, the mic could be tied to the data port. I was reading the manual for the WMR P&P section on adjusting audio levels into the radio and it mentions this happens in some cases. Default gain is 50 and I saw that mine was set down to 30. Do you see changes with ALC when setting this very low? I don’t remember if you said what output level worked good for Direwolf.
Could you share your settings like power and in what position you placed RF gain/SQL knob?I would like to try to put DRAWS voltage to the minimum recommended level for pocket and use Mic gain control if I can get the chance. I’d also completely disconnect the microphone if this gain setting made any changes. Wish me luck.

Tim - KU1G

On Jan 9, 2019, at 8:23 PM, Jack Spitznagel <@flyingfrawg> wrote:

[...]

I have played with all of the suggestions you made and many others... I don’t run the 7000 on packet or in digi modes with the Mic connected... period. That is terrible practice with almost any rig.

Point one: Direwolf/Xastir works with the setting in the current Beta... closed issue. I have posted the settings that I have tried and the ones that work in packet in many posts. The ones in the alsamixer setup script are similar to ones I got to work for packet.

I have been struggling with this radio since the DRAWS board was shipped... before the first beta in late Nov/early December. You may not have been following the list since then... if so sorry for wasting your time with a recap of 20+ emails.

Using Betas up thru #5, I had the problem of *USB* overdrive in both the HF digital apps (fldigi and wsjt-x). With Beta #6, fldigi was still having the overdrive issue, but wsjt-x suddenly would not drive the transceiver to any appreciable power. Now in Beta #7, neither app will drive the rig to power. The alsamixer driver system was updated to add the PTM settings at Beta 6.

My control device, a SignaLink, consistently performs properly with the 7000 and the drive level can be adjusted for full power with no ALC. The 7000 is working properly.

When the drive was working, I was never able to find an adjustment point where the DRAWS could be adjusted to produce power with any significant reduction of ALC in SSB mode. I did try reducing Mic gain on the 7000 which did not seem to do anything. What was consistently observed at settings low enough to be in the 100mV range was that the DRAWS produced a noise floor high enough to prevent the level of the TX from dropping any farther. Essentially the tone level fell as noise level came up.

Because of the changes in symptoms with Beta 6 & 7, I am stymied... Basil has found a 7000 for Bryan to work with and I am going to give it a rest. Hopefully they will be able to work it out.

If you want any more background, follow the #ic7000 thread back to early December.

Jack, KD4IZ