Topics

#wsjtx PTT on Icom 718 #wsjtx #hamlib #icom #flrig #kx3

Jonathan Magee

Hi,
I have just got my DRAWS setup and I am trying to run WSJTX but I was wondering how to set it up to activate the PTT on my IC718?
(I suspect it isn't supported just yet )
Regards
Jonathan

Bob Orrett <boborrett@...>

I use CAT control for PTT set up in the radio settings. Works perfectly so far. You need a 62c usb cable from the usb port on the RPI to the cat din at the back of the 817.
 I am assuming you are using the draws hat. But this also works with my minipro sc interface. Btw,  I use the cable from my minipro sc and not the supplied cables from the draws for the audio connection . The cable from my Wolphilink also works.
Bob ve3obo

On Jan 21, 2019 10:28, "Jonathan Magee" <jmagee@...> wrote:
Hi,
I have just got my DRAWS setup and I am trying to run WSJTX but I was wondering how to set it up to activate the PTT on my IC718?
(I suspect it isn't supported just yet )
Regards
Jonathan

Bob Orrett <boborrett@...>

Oops,  you said ic718 and i read 817. Sorry.
Bob Orrett ve3obo

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019, 13:04 Bob Orrett via Groups.Io <boborrett=gmail.com@groups.io wrote:
I use CAT control for PTT set up in the radio settings. Works perfectly so far. You need a 62c usb cable from the usb port on the RPI to the cat din at the back of the 817.
 I am assuming you are using the draws hat. But this also works with my minipro sc interface. Btw,  I use the cable from my minipro sc and not the supplied cables from the draws for the audio connection . The cable from my Wolphilink also works.
Bob ve3obo

On Jan 21, 2019 10:28, "Jonathan Magee" <jmagee@...> wrote:
Hi,
I have just got my DRAWS setup and I am trying to run WSJTX but I was wondering how to set it up to activate the PTT on my IC718?
(I suspect it isn't supported just yet )
Regards
Jonathan

For applications like wsjtx, which haven't implemented native GPIO ptt keying, the best choice is CAT under hamlib, either directly in the application or through the FLRIG application.

Jonathan Magee

Hi John,
Unfortunately the IC718 doesn't have PTT via CAT...
I think will have a look at the source code for hamlib to see if I can come up with a generic way for it to do the GPIO keying when it gets the relevant command as I think that should be with in my comfort zone.  The other method I was wondering about, is would it be possible to build an app that minics VOX. The app would "listen" for audio on the relevant device and set and unset the GPIO pin. (For this I would need to do a lot more research on google :-)

Thanks
Jonathan GI7KMC

On Mon, 21 Jan 2019 at 18:12, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
For applications like wsjtx, which haven't implemented native GPIO ptt keying, the best choice is CAT under hamlib, either directly in the application or through the FLRIG application.

Unfortunately the IC718 doesn't have PTT via CAT...
Perhaps this widget from the BPQ software collection will help out. I
have to use it with the IC-7100 to do packet.

http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/CAT7200.html

Many hamlib applications can be set to use VOX to the radio directly.

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019, 13:10 Jonathan Magee <jmagee@... wrote:
[...]

Jeff Marden

Hello All:

Unfortunately, the Icom IC-718 has only two connectors that can be used for interface (other than the mic input and the headphone jack): The 13-pin ACC connector and the CI-V jack. The CAT7200 program (for the IC-7200 or the IC-7100) uses the USB interface of the radio to create a duplex codec for audio and a pair of virtual serial channels for control, including PPT.

Interfaces like the SIgnalink have a cable that will connect to the 13-pin ACC port for audio and PPT (called SEND on the connector). So far no 13-pin connector interface for DRAWS that I can find (yet?).

There are USB-to-CI-V interface cables available which could connect to the 718 CI-V jack, but unsure whether the needed USB driver to create the virtual serial port is available for Linux/Pi. If so, than FLRIG can  do CAT control.  There are of course Windows USB drivers that are used today for this. I don't recall if WSJT-X supports the ICcom CI-V interface.

Hope this helps.
--
Jeff Marden
N1JCM

I have one of these on order, but have not tested yet.

https://hammadeparts.com/shop-for-cables?olsPage=products%2Ficom-13-pin-din-acc-port-to-nw-digital-draws-hat-6-pin-mini-din-packet-port-plug

Have you tried using the IC-718 USB connection from the Pi and DRAWS™ Beta image applications?

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 8:47 PM Jeff Marden via Groups.Io <jmardensdl=netscape.net@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

USB to CI-V cables tend to work directly on Linux appearing as /dev/ttyUSBx  (x being a number) -- no virtual port needed, then just send the CAT control down that cable.

I don't own or have access to a 718, so shooting a little blind on this.  I am referring to USB to CI-V cables that plug into the CI-V connector directly.  Connector 4 on the illustration of the IC-718 in the manual.  It refers to page 57

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 8:47 PM Jeff Marden via Groups.Io <jmardensdl=netscape.net@groups.io> wrote:
Hello All:

There are USB-to-CI-V interface cables available which could connect to the 718 CI-V jack, but unsure whether the needed USB driver to create the virtual serial port is available for Linux/Pi. If so, than FLRIG can  do CAT control.  There are of course Windows USB drivers that are used today for this. I don't recall if WSJT-X supports the ICcom CI-V interface.

Jack Spitznagel

If he happens to have the RT-Systems RTS01 cable for programming that radio, it is a CI-V cable. I believe RTS uses FTDI USB-UART chips...

Interesting that flrig recognized it by its full “by-id” designator. /dev/serial/by-id/usb-RT_Systems-RTS01_Radio_Cable...(etc, blah)... port0. It also calls the Keyspan dongle I use for the Yaesu FT-817 by its long identifier. I don’t remember seeing that in Raspbian Jesse or prior.

Jack - KD4IZ

On Jan 22, 2019, at 03:38, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

[...]

J Spitznagel
Science River LLC
KD4IZ

Gwen Patton

Does anyone know of a premade cable I could buy, or the pinouts I could use to make, running from the DRAWS to an Elecraft KX3/PX3/KXPA100 setup? (I list all the pieces in case they matter.)

73,
Gwen, NG3P

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 8:10 AM Jack Spitznagel <kd4iz@...> wrote:
[...]

-+-+-+-+-
Jenny Everywhere's Infinite: Quark Time
http://quarktime.net

Fred Meier <fsmeier@...>

I had one made by a ham in Oregon who was referenced on the NWD website just before the DRAWS.

[...]

Image removed by sender. Image removed by sender. Image removed by sender. Image removed by sender.

--
J Spitznagel
Science River LLC

--

-+-+-+-+-
Jenny Everywhere's Infinite: Quark Time
http://quarktime.net

Jack Spitznagel

Gwen, All,

I pulled out my handwritten notes from a try at doing this in early December and before we had the first beta software from NWD. I quick stuck them in a spreadsheet, updated a little, then PDF’ed them.

Please find the PDF redraw of my notes attached (or in the UDRC/DRAWS file repo on the group).

Use flrig on your Pi with KXUSB and the Elecraft KXPACBL cabling kit plus the PX3 I/Q connector to daisy chain the amp and the panadapter. Looked like flrig controlled the rig without an issue.

BTW - I have never tried to use the LINUX distro version of the Elecraft utilities so I have no idea if they work on the Pi. If you have used them, I would be interest to hear your experience.

KD4IZ

Jack Spitznagel

FM19oo

[...]

Josh H. KB6FJ

 I had Les over at Ham Made Parts develop that cable so I can use my IC-706 when I get my DRAWS board.

Josh.
KB6FJ

Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ

Les at Ham Made Parts is Great!  I can also personally recommend him and his cable products.

I have several for various radios to the Pi-TNC and Mobilinked TNC.

Ed Bloom
ewbloom@...
Sent from Webmail access

 I had Les over at Ham Made Parts develop that cable so I can use my IC-706 when I get my DRAWS board.

Josh.
KB6FJ

Jonathan Magee

Hi All,
Just an update to let you know on how I am getting on.  I down loaded and installed a null modem emulator driver for linux (tty0tty). In WSJTX I set it to use RTS on a serial port for PTT and selected one of the null serial ports. I then wrote a python script that connects to the other end of the null modem emulator and monitors the CTS on the port and turns the relevant GPIO pin on and off. This gives me a working system but I will  need to tidy the python code up a bit to include extras like a timeout timer etc to make it safer to use. I am still thinking about modifying Ham Lib as at the moment I have to remember to run a couple of programmes to get the PTT working.

73 de Jonathan GI7KMC

On Mon, 21 Jan 2019 at 21:12, Jonathan Magee <jmagee@...> wrote:
[...]

Please go the next step and create a public github account (free) and
put your code in your repository. Also put any notes you have in a
markdown file (README.md)

https://help.github.com/articles/create-a-repo/

/Basil N7NIX